Why become a member? ×

Which Female bassist has the best technical skills?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1407597854' post='2522201']
I was actually suggesting that there are (many) bass players in general better than Geddy.
[/quote]

Geddy Lee is a wonderfuly unique l and inspirational bassist. Who is better than Geddy Lee? What do you perceive to be his shortcomings ? I would suggest that there are few other bass players who are as good at creating a style and using it to great effect as Geddy Lee. Which few supposedly more capable players can better Geddy Lee either in terms of dexterity , technical skill or taste and judgement? Victor Wooten? Gary Willis? Don't make me laugh . They are both as dull as dishwater, and irritating with it. When Geddy Lee plays the bass , it is a special event. He's Geddy Lee.

Within his chosen idiom., who do you think could do Geddy's job better?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407600732' post='2522229']
Geddy Lee is a wonderfuly unique l and inspirational bassist. Who is better than Geddy Lee? What do you perceive to be his shortcomings ? I would suggest that there are few other bass players who are as good at creating a style and using it to great effect as Geddy Lee. Which few supposedly more capable players can better Geddy Lee either in terms of dexterity , technical skill or taste and judgement? Victor Wooten? Gary Willis? Don't make me laugh . They are both as dull as dishwater, and irritating with it. When Geddy Lee plays the bass , it is a special event. He's Geddy Lee.

[/quote]

This seems in direct contravention to your comments about ability on the other thread :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1407599891' post='2522216']
Having a pile of techniques under your belt doesn't automatically make you 'good'.
'Good' is what happens when you choose the right one.
[/quote]
You have fell into my trap! This is the reverse of where I disagree with Dingus in the other thread, I did not say "good" just like Pixiechick never said "technically great or skilled etc" in the favourite thread, you can be technical without being good and you can be good without being technical. If some people enjoy your work at all thats good if some feel compelled to list you as a favourite in the other thread that is job done regardless of Dingus' opinion IMO?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407600019' post='2522218']

The point is that women want it both ways. They claim to want equality and to be taken seriously, whatever that might mean, whilst at the same time shamelessly exploiting the benefits of inequality and exploiting their sexuality for personal gain if that opportunity presents itself. Sex and show business are inextricably linked, not least of all because sex will always be the most enthralling and compelling form of entertainment for mankind, so incorporating sex into other forms of entertainment will make them more attractive by association.
[/quote]

Um excuse me, but I think I missed the memo where it was agreed that you would be spokesperson for my gender!!

Sexuality has NOTHING to do with my bass playing! for starters I'm podgy, average attractiveness at best and the wrong side of 40, so hardly a sex symbol or able to exploit the fact that I have breasts!!

I want to be valued for doing my job within the band. I have auditioned for bands where men have also auditioned and have got the gigs. I would like to think it was as a result of my playing and not the fact I have ovaries!

And whilst we are on the subject, I don't think exploiting sexuality for personal gain is a female thing at all.... How many boy bands are based entirely on that premise?

But you are the self appointed expert on this, so I'm guessing my opinion is worthless anyway.

In answer to the Topic, I think Yolanda Charles is a hugely inspirational bassist, with incredible skills.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407601872' post='2522241']
Um excuse me, but I think I missed the memo where it was agreed that you would be spokesperson for my gender!!

Sexuality has NOTHING to do with my bass playing! for starters I'm podgy, average attractiveness at best and the wrong side of 40, so hardly a sex symbol or able to exploit the fact that I have breasts!!

I want to be valued for doing my job within the band. I have auditioned for bands where men have also auditioned and have got the gigs. I would like to think it was as a result of my playing and not the fact I have ovaries!

And whilst we are on the subject, I don't think exploiting sexuality for personal gain is a female thing at all.... How many boy bands are based entirely on that premise?

But you are the self appointed expert on this, so I'm guessing my opinion is worthless anyway.

In answer to the Topic, I think Yolanda Charles is a hugely inspirational bassist, with incredible skills.
[/quote]

Regarding women wanting it both ways, that is not remotely my original idea. It is one that leading feminist academics and commentators have put forward for many years now.

And sex and show business are equally entwined for both men and women, so there is no inconsistency or incongruity there either. So what exactly is your point? Where do you think I am going wrong?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407602226' post='2522245']

Regarding women wanting it both ways, that is not remotely my original idea. It is one that leading feminist academics and commentators have put forward for many years now.

And sex and show business are equally entwined for both men and women, so there is no inconsistency or incongruity there either. So what exactly is your point? Where do you think I am going wrong?
[/quote]

If you can't re-read what you've written and see how you can be perceived as being offensive and inflammatory, then I really don't know what I can say.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1407601000' post='2522233']
This seems in direct contravention to your comments about ability on the other thread :)
[/quote]

It is entirely consistent with my comments in the other thread. Not least of all, I would put Geddy's ability on the bass guitar against just about any other player. He is a formidable proposition Geddy Lee can play a bit. His perceived achievements are not the result of anyone making excuses and justifications for his limitations, unlike many other players I could mention. .

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407601658' post='2522239']
You have fell into my trap!
[/quote]

Well I saw you sat in the bottom of your bear pit and thought I'd join you. :)

FWIW, I totally agree with your point.

I sometimes see a local guitarist play around the circuit who is technically superb.
He's as dull as ditch water and most of the audience wanders off to the bar.

Anyhow back to the topic :P

A good example of not having good skills but being able to do what is needed is Sharon Finn. She's been bass playing for her husband Neil (of crowded house fame). Her skills were dreadful, but nobody apart from any bassist in the crowd would have noticed. She had good timing and sounded good in the mix. Everyone enjoyed the gig and nobody would have noticed. So in my mind, was a good bass performance if you only used your ears!

The point is that women want it both ways. They claim to want equality and to be taken seriously, whatever that might mean, whilst at the same time shamelessly exploiting the benefits of inequality and exploiting their sexuality for personal gain if that opportunity presents itself. Sex and show business are inextricably linked, not least of all because sex will always be the most enthralling and compelling form of entertainment for mankind, so incorporating sex into other forms of entertainment will make them more attractive by association. But the pertinent point regarding bass players is that male bass players are for the most part rated for their playing skills, women ones are more often that not assessed for more peripheral l reasons , mostly to do with sex in some way or another . That would seem to be a fairly sober and sensible contention to me, and not at all controversial. Who would disagree?
[/quote]

Jesus mate :unsure:

Whose problem is that? Men create that issue, not women. WhoTF are you to decide that it's a fact that 'women shamelessly exploit' this sh*t? FFS.

I get accused of being condescending quite often...

[color=#800080]No surprise, but sad. As you make your bed, so must you lie.[/color] :mellow:

The point is that women want it both ways. They claim to want equality and to be taken seriously, whatever that might mean, whilst at the same time shamelessly exploiting the benefits of inequality and exploiting their sexuality for personal gain if that opportunity presents itself...

[color=#800080]You appear to be speaking on behalf of all womanhood here. I'm not certain that this is any more than your own appreciation. I know personally many that do not share these views.[/color]

[size=4]But the pertinent point regarding bass players is that male bass players are for the most part rated for their playing skills, women ones are more often that not assessed for more peripheral l reasons , mostly to do with sex in some way or another ...[/size]

[color=#800080]Rated by you, it would seem. Not necessarily true for everyone (certainly not by me, and I'm not as unique as all that...). There may be others holding this quaint opinion, but they're not the most open-minded, I would venture.[/color]

Who would disagree?

[color=#800080]Who indeed..! Quelle toupée..![/color] :o
[/quote]

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407602478' post='2522249']
If you can't re-read what you've written and see how you can be perceived as being offensive and inflammatory, then I really don't know what I can say.
[/quote]

All I have done is reiterate what other well - respected and authoratative commentators on the subject have said . If you find those ideas uncomfortable or difficult to accomodate then it is not really fair to blame me for that. It is not intended to be inflamatory or offensive, only erudite and well-informed. I would be happy to recommend the books that these ideas are discussed in if you would like? Like I have said, none of these ideas are remotely my own- I am just not that clever- but they seemed convincing and compelling to me when I discovered them. Maybe you would feel the same if you read them in full and gave them a chance, not a very brief summary by me .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407602964' post='2522262']
All I have done is reiterate what other well - respected and authoratative commentators on the subject have said . If you find those ideas uncomfortable or difficult to accomodate then it is not really fair to blame me for that. It is not intended to be inflamatory or offensive, only erudite and well-informed. I would be happy to recommend the books that these ideas are discussed in if you would like? Like I have said, none of these ideas are remotely my own- I am just not that clever- but they seemed convincing and compelling to me when I discovered them. Maybe you would feel the same if you read them in full and gave them a chance, not a very brief summary by me .
[/quote]

You clearly seem to be defending that crap.

“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.”

Margaret Atwood

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407600732' post='2522229']

[/quote]

Didn't you argue against this point earlier? I've got a bunch of Rush albums (and Geddys solo album), and like some of it
and don't like some of it, but Geddy is far from being one of my favourite players.I'd much rather listen to Willis or Wooten or any number of other artists/bands/players.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407604566' post='2522285']
Well this turned out well :lol: Lets both stay in the pit after all Ian I think it is safer than we thought down here? Now if we could just get that big cake from the other thread and a few bottles of ale we would be all set up, Lol
[/quote]

[i]munch chomp burp[/i] Cake? :blush:

I don`t like Geddy Lee, or Rush for that matter. I think they overplay everything. Very good technically, but dull . It has no soul.In my opinion, James Jamerson is better than Geddy Lee any day.But it is like anyone, it is just an opinion, so it is not fact. I would imagine James Jamerson has inspired more people than Geddy Lee as well.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1407607385' post='2522322']
I don`t like Geddy Lee, or Rush for that matter. I think they overplay everything. Very good technically, but dull . It has no soul.In my opinion, James Jamerson is better than Geddy Lee any day.But it is like anyone, it is just an opinion, so it is not fact. I would imagine James Jamerson has inspired more people than Geddy Lee as well.
[/quote]
:rolleyes:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1407593923' post='2522145']

There are plenty of awesome women bass players who are as good as the best male players - MeShell , Carole Kaye , Esperanza [i]et al- [/i]but if Marta was a fat spotty ginger lad from Scotland do you think he would have a similar amount of attention and apparent acclaim ? Never underestimate the power of novelty. Like I have said before, Marta is a fine player with a great future ahead of her and I wish her well , but she is not a sensation or anything truly exceptional. She is very competent, but here is nothing remotely original or unique about her bass playing .

[/quote]

I saw an example of exactly this the other day. I was hunting around on YouTube for a bass cover version of something and top of the most viewed list was an attractive female player. She was out of time in places & played some obviously bum notes. The comments underneath the vid were exclusively from guys, universally positive and full of 'absolutely nailed it' type comments.

Meanwhile the next one on the list had a tenth of the number of views and very few comments. However the guy playing it seemd to be note perfect and bang on time throughout.

Pretty girls are popular, whether they play bass or not. Anyone in a popularity contest with a pretty girl is going to lose. Equally, a good looking guy with an equivalent talent or skill set to an ugly guy will be more successful.

This is why I find it odd when people talk about how it doesn't matter what their bass looks like. You're wearing it, of course it matters. It matters as much as your shirt or your shoes, and if you think they don't matter then there's something wrong with you. You're in the entertainment business.