Why become a member? ×

Fender JB Marcus Miller Signature MIJ - fake or not?

urrfaust

Hi everyone,

I need some help with a Fender Jazz Bass Marcus Miller made in japan from 2002 I've come across. The owner is selling it for 600 euros. The price is too good to be true. He's made some modifications: changed the pick ups for DiMarzio J-style, string-thru bridge (he says he had somebody qualified do it for him), removed the pick up cover (which I think he still has), changed the pots to push-pulls. I tried to check the serial number but it's hard to tell from the pictures (attached).
What do you guys thinks???

Thanks a lot,

S.

On face value it all looks legit, and the decal is meant to replicate the one on Marcus' own Jazz as in the 70s Fender's headstock logos were all over the place. I just don't understand why you would want or need through-body stringing when there's already a Badass II on there. I take it the bridge is different?

Edited by Jono Bolton

Looks exactly like the reviews I've seen of them on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9tfwZrlv6c

The current version of the instrument now shown on the Fender website has fewer screws in the scratchplate and the headstock signature is smaller but since the instrument you're talking about is from 2002 then it looks pretty legit.

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

Hi Urrfaust,

Hopefully this is not too late but here's something about the rear body contouring which doesn't look quite right. Looking at other rear images of the Japanese-built Marcus Miller 4s, the contouring on them is in a slightly different position. It might just be my imagination but have a look for yourself.

Stevie

yep I can see the difference in the contours there...hhmmm

also, if you'd paid however much for a legit Marcus and then ha dsomeone proper do some mods on it (spending another couple of hundred) why would you then sell it so cheap? summat smells a bit like a fishing village maybe?

And I reckon that decal looks wrong - check out this link [url="http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45592"]http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45592[/url]

To my eye it's positioned a little too near the string tree and is too 'straight' - it should follow the angle of the headstock botton edge

Blimey

Have we really reached the stage that even mid range instruments are getting ripped off?

It's getting to the point where a purchase has to be brand new to make sure it's real.

Over the last few weeks I've reported about 4 pedal listings to ebay as they were clearly knock-offs. Xotic seem to be suffering a lot with that at the moment.

I have my doubts about this too, for me the headstock decal is the key thing that's wrong, mine's a Jap and has the T serial number in silver (a tad difficult to see tbh) here's mine:

The rear body looks okay compared to mine IMO although there is no Made in Japan mark on the rear of the neck, they did make these in Mexico though right?:

Edited by Thor

I've just been playing my Squier Deluxe Jazz Active and as I was putting it away realised that the belly cut is about the same as that on the Fender Marcus Miller for sale. The Squier was built in Indonesia (by Cort) but it's a standard Jazz shape body AFAIK so I wonder if belly cuts vary from instrument to instrument?