Why become a member? ร—

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

I had a Squier Musicmaster Bass that I bought new in 1998 and regretted selling. In recent years I've had standard scale basses, a couple of precisions and a Steinberger but decided I wanted to go back to short scale as it's more comfortable for me. After a search around I got it down to wanting a Squier Mikey Way (pretty rare) or a Squier Jaguar SS.

However, wandering gumtree I picked up a Fender Mustang PJ locally which has filled that gap. A little more expensive than the squiers would have been but it was a good deal.

Not convinced by the colour - it's Sonic Blue but it has more of a blue-tinted white than an actual blue.

Andy ๐Ÿ˜Ž

MustangPJ.jpg

Edited by backwater

On 27/07/2019 at 10:51, backwater said:

I had a Squier Musicmaster Bass that I bought new in 1998 and regretted selling. In recent years I've had standard scale basses, a couple of precisions and a Steinberger but decided I wanted to go back to short scale as it's more comfortable for me. After a search around I got it down to wanting a Squier Mikey Way (pretty rare) or a Squier Jaguar SS.

However, wandering gumtree I picked up a Fender Mustang PJ locally which has filled that gap. A little more expensive than the squiers would have been but it was a good deal.

Not convinced by the colour - it's Sonic Blue but it has more of a blue-tinted white than an actual blue.

Andy ๐Ÿ˜Ž

MustangPJ.jpg

These are great guitars! The colour is actually less an issue (I have a sonic blue one as well) than the pick guard: I changed mine to a pearlood one, itโ€™s really changed the look of the guitar. This is mine: I actually think a more contrasty guard, eg black, would look even better!

07701DBF-939E-4BC0-9A00-C635FB544E98.jpeg

63C9A34B-A6F1-47B9-8CC2-874AABE2BA34.jpeg

• Like 2

On 02/08/2019 at 07:28, PaulFenderJazz said:

These are great guitars! The colour is actually less an issue (I have a sonic blue one as well) than the pick guard: I changed mine to a pearlood one, itโ€™s really changed the look of the guitar. This is mine: I actually think a more contrasty guard, eg black, would look even better!

The sonic blue does appear slightly sonic green to my eye but I have added a black pearl pickguard. ย Iโ€™ll post a pic when I am home.

Edited by EssentialTension
  • Like 1

Talking to the chap in the shop where I bought my Jaguar SS he says they have never had a bass that flies off the racks faster - every time they have one it goes straight away. Our guitarist bought one for his daughter before I got mine.

I bet in 20-25 years there will be those who speak of them inย  hushed tones and those who say 'I can't see what the fuss is about they were only entry level basses', but I reckon they are probably the most instrument you can get for your money at the moment.

15 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Talking to the chap in the shop where I bought my Jaguar SS he says they have never had a bass that flies off the racks faster - every time they have one it goes straight away. Our guitarist bought one for his daughter before I got mine.

I bet in 20-25 years there will be those who speak of them inย  hushed tones and those who say 'I can't see what the fuss is about they were only entry level basses', but I reckon they are probably the most instrument you can get for your money at the moment.

I agree. They're pretty superb for the money. But I still think the Gretsch Junior Jet 2 is better.ย 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Sibob said:

My Serek Midwestern that arrived a couple of months ago:

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.7d40897360ad569aece2df54dadb19c4.JPG

30", B90 pickup, dummy coil under the scratch plate.
Very very cool bass!

Si

ooh thats lovely. I drooled for ages overย the TV yellow version of this model that was at BassDirect around a year back. Funds were not forthcoming at that point so I missed it, boo!

17 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

How is it a Lynott tribute? I don't know much about him and certainly don't wish to tribute him. Didn't he play a black Precision with a mirror pickguard?

Hah!

Me getting my brain in a knot - it was Yellow Pearl not Black Pearl!

ย 

Edited by Stub Mandrel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sure I've posted pics of my bass on other threads of this forum but not the Short Scale department where it belongs!

It's an Italia Maranello Cavo bass strung with La Bella flat wounds.ย  Although short scale, it takes La Bella's medium scale strings perfectly.ย  With a semi-hollow mahogany body it is fairly light at a smidge over 7lb (which is why I bought it), and I've been playing it for coming up a year next month.

You don't see many around but I like the way it feels and it sounds good too - even with me playing it!

P1020792 (2) (595x800).jpg

P1020285 (450x800).jpg

• Like 1