Why become a member? ×

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

• 3 months later...

Here are my 2 shorties. I tend to play these 2 most and neglect my 3 medium scales. Long scales, I own none.

[attachment=241998:100_0313.JPG]

The Squire Mustang has Labella 760FLMUS flatwounds, a narrow fingerboard, strong pickups and a Precision-ish voice. Weight 8lb.

The Alden violin weighs less than 6lb. Rotosound RS77M flats. The output is lower but it has a clearer voice, not as clear as a Hofner but it is a true hollow body with just a support block under the bridge.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1491498791' post='3273571']
Hi Ellie, what a coincidence! Your name is the same as my daughter's and it's also the name I've given to my new custom s-s Maruszczyk Elwood pictured below!! Oh, and I play an SWB-1 too among other things. Just saying... :blush:

[/quote]Hang on a sec thought this was Basschat not a dating site lol :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1492146123' post='3278235']
gsgbass, does it sound as good as it looks?

And is that tape-wound strings on it?
[/quote]

Sorry for taking forever getting back to you. A hospital stay got in the way. D'Addario ETB92S Nylons onboard. i think it plays great with them strung on it. I use the ETB92 Nylons on my Ric 4003W also.

• 1 month later...

That's a couple of fine instruments you have there! Played a Stanley Clarke at the London Bass Centre many years back and was deeply impressed by everything except the balance and the price. Fast forward to the present and this is the closest I've managed to get: my modified Scott Whitley SWB-1. Much cheaper but perfect (for me) ergo's.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, somehow managed to miss this thread before! Anyway, here's my '77/'78 Musicmaster - although it doesn't really look it from the photo she is rather tatty, weighs an absolute ton, and doesn't get used much these days, but as she was my first "proper" bass back in the day she'll be staying around!

• Like 1

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503393342' post='3357781']
Very Mike Kerr, UKLooney! You found the humbucker you were looking for then, where did you get it in the end, The Creamery?
[/quote]
I've got a couple of 'modded' pups on order from Jamie @ the Creamery, turns out he did some work on Mike's basses. I found the one in this on ebay, from a member here, which originaly came from a starcaster.

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1503390243' post='3357722']
Hey UKLooney, that looks really neat - what exactly is it?
[/quote]
It's a squier jaguar ss, more info on this post:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/310247-custom-vintage-modified-jaguar-short-scale-bass/

I still love full length necks, so I didn't think about short scale until I saw and heard a couple of Gibson EB2s back in June and Wanted One. You know how it is sometimes. As it happened I was about to visit family in Nashville and decided this was an excuse (as if I needed one) for a guitar store crawl. I figured EB2s are rare enough that it was safe to look for one.

The first place I went had a 1966 sunburst in good condition. Ouch. But when I tried it it felt very dull and unresponsive. Ok, I'm safe. Then went to Gruhns and the first thing I saw was this.

[attachment=252262:P1030925.jpg]

[attachment=252263:P1030929.jpg]

1966, faded cherry, very slight wear, and most importantly when I picked her up she just sang. A bit of neck-dive, but little enough that a suede strap controls it.

She actually has a very light crisp sound for such a big bass - until you kick in the bass/baritone boost (the little red push-button) and get a rich deep thumping growl. They were apparently favoured by reggae players at the time.

I've left her in Nashville, at least for now - my son also plays bass and loves her, so she's in good hands, and after paying for her I can't afford the import duty! And Mr Josie will never know :-)