Why become a member? ×

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

On 01/04/2018 at 20:09, adi77 said:

Got this a few months ago

IMG_0957.thumb.jpg.ece7ad66fa16f6f0821a3b575d1803ae.jpg

Ditto: I’ve fallen in love with my PJ: I use it instead of my Ric, so comfortable for an evening gigging ,plus great sound. Ay it through a Markbass 121p plus 121 extension cab. All in all a really compact easy to transport rig and great for pub gigs

3DE90E16-5A04-4E58-BDE8-D971618CF448.jpeg

Guest adi77
13 hours ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Ditto: I’ve fallen in love with my PJ: I use it instead of my Ric, so comfortable for an evening gigging ,plus great sound. Ay it through a Markbass 121p plus 121 extension cab. All in all a really compact easy to transport rig and great for pub gigs

3DE90E16-5A04-4E58-BDE8-D971618CF448.jpeg

Cool! Ya its a really good bass and i just set up the intonation :) the only thing i wish it had a belly cut, i changed the saddles had some gotoh saddles lying around. 

i play it through a crown xls1500 and a tc rs210c cabinet and have yet to gig with it. 

Edited by adi77

46 minutes ago, adi77 said:

Cool! Ya its a really good bass and i just set up the intonation :) the only thing i wish it had a belly cut, i changed the saddles had some gotoh saddles lying around. 

i play it through a crown xls1500 and a tc rs210c cabinet and have yet to gig with it. 

I wondered about saddles: I’ve decided this will be my first rodding experiment so may try those next. So far I’ve ordered new tuners - Hipshots which just arrived - plus a new pearloid pickguard (that’s just for looks of course). Do the saddles just fit straight on or is there some black art involved? Did they help intonation??

Guest adi77
16 minutes ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

I wondered about saddles: I’ve decided this will be my first rodding experiment so may try those next. So far I’ve ordered new tuners - Hipshots which just arrived - plus a new pearloid pickguard (that’s just for looks of course). Do the saddles just fit straight on or is there some black art involved? Did they help intonation??

I just changed them because i had ordered graphtec saddles for my jb (which has a gotoh bridge) and had the spare ones, difference is they're brass so some slight tonal difference, and they're kind of chunkier and more solid than the previous ones, 

intonation on the short scale is tricky, the harmonic and the fretted note on the 12th fret, to get that to match takes a bit of trial and error type adjustments.

I like the bass i think the keys are decent but of course hipshots will be better, i may change the bridge and the pots and switch at some point, especially the switch.

Guest adi77

after the neck, i think, bridge, nut and tuners (and strings) are next most important, basically all the parts that suspend the strings on the bass

Guest adi77

It is, i have the first version they sorted out the power issues in the second version and added a bypass switch, the first version needs 18v ac which is rare to find in pedal power supplies, i think the new ones are 12v (maybe18v) dc which is easier to get 

1st is a Gretsh ( for sale )

2nd is a Hagstrom HB 8 - sounds lovely, easy to play, but heavy

3rd is my 1963 Framus Star Bass - 30 1/2" - played it for years as a teenager

4th is a Hagstrom HB 4 - not quite as heavy as it was

5th is a Steinberger - now 31" scale - cut 2 frets off the top

DSC03449.JPG

DSC03447.JPG

DSC03446.JPG

DSC03448.JPG

DSC03451.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 Shorties in my lineup, all for use in the Glam band. The silver sparkly one is the header, a 2012 Squier Mikey Way sig Mustang...took some tracking down that one. First back up is the 2002(?) Fender CIJ comp stripe Mustang, only has this a short while and it’s just had a fret level and set up so will be getting it’s first outing this weekend. Last but not least, bringing up the rear is a silver Squier Jag SS, cheap as chips but punches well above it’s weight.

9BB9B158-16FC-4BA1-926C-DC342788CF99.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, martthebass said:

3 Shorties in my lineup, all for use in the Glam band. The silver sparkly one is the header, a 2012 Squier Mikey Way sig Mustang...took some tracking down that one. First back up is the 2002(?) Fender CIJ comp stripe Mustang, only has this a short while and it’s just had a fret level and set up so will be getting it’s first outing this weekend. Last but not least, bringing up the rear is a silver Squier Jag SS, cheap as chips but punches well above it’s weight.

9BB9B158-16FC-4BA1-926C-DC342788CF99.jpeg

Liking all 3 of those! Have you done any mods to the Squiers? Given the price I wondered getting one and having a go at chucking in high end pups and hardware and getting a custom paint and guard job

9 hours ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Liking all 3 of those! Have you done any mods to the Squiers? Given the price I wondered getting one and having a go at chucking in high end pups and hardware and getting a custom paint and guard job

Cheers Paul,

Both of the Squiers are completely stock.  I've been toying with putting an hotter pup in the Squier Mustang and changing the loom (as the tone pot has very little effect on the sound) but to be honest the sound in the mix is fine as it stands so I'd be tinkering at best. The bridge is pretty good on this one, I much prefer the period correctness as opposed to the bbot that's now on the Mex Mustangs, it could do with some better tuners at some point though - I think these are the only weakness in the current Squier Indonesian offerings. The pups in the Jaguar are much hotter than both Mustangs which is part of the reason that it's been relegated from back up duty as when I switch basses on stage I just swap over the wireless dongle and don't want to be messing about with a switch/level pedal.  The body wood on the Squier Mustang is basswood and lends a decent heft; the Jaguar though is Agathis which seems to be as light as helium (causing a bit of neck dive) and has the consistency of cheese (fortunately the paint job has the robustness of Kevlar so its still totally ding free); if I hang on to it I might look out for a better body for this at some point and have a wacky paint job. 

One thing I would note is that the necks on the Squier basses are excellent, great fretting, good adjustment and take any action you'd like.  IMHO, better than the neck on the CIJ re-issue which has adjustment at the body end and can't take as low an action. 

On 05/06/2018 at 08:52, martthebass said:

Cheers Paul,

Both of the Squiers are completely stock.  I've been toying with putting an hotter pup in the Squier Mustang and changing the loom (as the tone pot has very little effect on the sound) but to be honest the sound in the mix is fine as it stands so I'd be tinkering at best. The bridge is pretty good on this one, I much prefer the period correctness as opposed to the bbot that's now on the Mex Mustangs, it could do with some better tuners at some point though - I think these are the only weakness in the current Squier Indonesian offerings. The pups in the Jaguar are much hotter than both Mustangs which is part of the reason that it's been relegated from back up duty as when I switch basses on stage I just swap over the wireless dongle and don't want to be messing about with a switch/level pedal.  The body wood on the Squier Mustang is basswood and lends a decent heft; the Jaguar though is Agathis which seems to be as light as helium (causing a bit of neck dive) and has the consistency of cheese (fortunately the paint job has the robustness of Kevlar so its still totally ding free); if I hang on to it I might look out for a better body for this at some point and have a wacky paint job. 

One thing I would note is that the necks on the Squier basses are excellent, great fretting, good adjustment and take any action you'd like.  IMHO, better than the neck on the CIJ re-issue which has adjustment at the body end and can't take as low an action. 

Thanks, Mart, it certainly sounds like it’s a pretty decently built bass that could take some mods and still be reasonably priced. I’m definitely running through some ideas......😉

Regarding the Squier Jag SS. I've got one... will get round to posting some pics sometime. Crazy value for money. The only mods I've made are... Fender Jazz control knobs, Gotoh bridge (I just have a thing about bbot bridges) and fave d'Addario strings. I'd like to put new pups and electronics in, but finding it hard to justify. Might just get a pearloid scratchplate from Jack sometime. The winders look a bit flimsey, but they work ok and stay in tune. The neck and fretwork is very good. Hard to go wrong at the price.

• Like 1

On 08/06/2018 at 19:22, Trueno said:

Regarding the Squier Jag SS. I've got one... will get round to posting some pics sometime. Crazy value for money. The only mods I've made are... Fender Jazz control knobs, Gotoh bridge (I just have a thing about bbot bridges) and fave d'Addario strings. I'd like to put new pups and electronics in, but finding it hard to justify. Might just get a pearloid scratchplate from Jack sometime. The winders look a bit flimsey, but they work ok and stay in tune. The neck and fretwork is very good. Hard to go wrong at the price.

Certainly sounds like some love ou there for Squiers!

I don't really know what you'd qualify this as to be honest. 

Bought a Squier Badtz-Maru here yonks ago, a bit of fun really.  I think it was more Bronco than Musicmaster or Mustang.  Decided to swap out the machines but it suffered a major headstock failure when I was trying to enlarge the holes.  Junked the neck and the body sat under the bed for ages.  Bought a '70s rosewood Mustang neck from the US, truss rod maxxed out, forward bow, so sold that on as a project and the body went under the bed again.  Bought a loaded Squier Mustang neck from The Stratosphere, stuck a Hotrails pickup in it and changed that wretched bridge to a Mustang one, so at least it intonates now.  Dunlop Straploks.

It plays nicely, the pickup is hot, so that helps.  I've used it tons on home demos...space is tight in the home room, so it's an easy thing to just pick up and play.

35289455_10216484614329819_7941555973829

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled on this thread. As I have been solely playing short scale basses, I have a few to show: 

my main bass is a Musicmaster from 76 in black. When I like to play flatwounds, I take my Bronco Bass from 2002. The red Musicmaster is from around 74 and I play him for 25 years now. The MIJ Mustang Bass shown in the last picture was sold to a friend last year. The Resonator Bass is an rare (and obscure) FR51 Model. 

1532877555_Muma76bl2018.thumb.JPG.ac7ff21d47defc14d3a8b1494892010c.JPG1007270206_Bronco2002.thumb.JPG.a73a432a07622bf9124d0c599547cea0.JPG

fourbasses.thumb.JPG.00108986200848b581d6982a6119f577.JPG

• Like 1