Jump to content
Why become a member? Read this.... Read more... ×
Evil Undead

Show off your short scales!

Recommended Posts

The Squier Jaguar was my first, haven't played her much but I'd like to get back into it!

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2018 at 20:09, adi77 said:

Got this a few months ago

 

IMG_0957.thumb.jpg.ece7ad66fa16f6f0821a3b575d1803ae.jpg

 

 

 

Ditto: I’ve fallen in love with my PJ: I use it instead of my Ric, so comfortable for an evening gigging ,plus great sound. Ay it through a Markbass 121p plus 121 extension cab. All in all a really compact easy to transport rig and great for pub gigs

3DE90E16-5A04-4E58-BDE8-D971618CF448.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Ditto: I’ve fallen in love with my PJ: I use it instead of my Ric, so comfortable for an evening gigging ,plus great sound. Ay it through a Markbass 121p plus 121 extension cab. All in all a really compact easy to transport rig and great for pub gigs

3DE90E16-5A04-4E58-BDE8-D971618CF448.jpeg

Cool! Ya its a really good bass and i just set up the intonation :) the only thing i wish it had a belly cut, i changed the saddles had some gotoh saddles lying around. 

i play it through a crown xls1500 and a tc rs210c cabinet and have yet to gig with it. 

Edited by adi77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, adi77 said:

Cool! Ya its a really good bass and i just set up the intonation :) the only thing i wish it had a belly cut, i changed the saddles had some gotoh saddles lying around. 

i play it through a crown xls1500 and a tc rs210c cabinet and have yet to gig with it. 

I wondered about saddles: I’ve decided this will be my first rodding experiment so may try those next. So far I’ve ordered new tuners - Hipshots which just arrived - plus a new pearloid pickguard (that’s just for looks of course). Do the saddles just fit straight on or is there some black art involved? Did they help intonation??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

I wondered about saddles: I’ve decided this will be my first rodding experiment so may try those next. So far I’ve ordered new tuners - Hipshots which just arrived - plus a new pearloid pickguard (that’s just for looks of course). Do the saddles just fit straight on or is there some black art involved? Did they help intonation??

I just changed them because i had ordered graphtec saddles for my jb (which has a gotoh bridge) and had the spare ones, difference is they're brass so some slight tonal difference, and they're kind of chunkier and more solid than the previous ones, 

intonation on the short scale is tricky, the harmonic and the fretted note on the 12th fret, to get that to match takes a bit of trial and error type adjustments.

I like the bass i think the keys are decent but of course hipshots will be better, i may change the bridge and the pots and switch at some point, especially the switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

after the neck, i think, bridge, nut and tuners (and strings) are next most important, basically all the parts that suspend the strings on the bass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adi77 said:

I play it through a crown xls1500 and a tc rs210c cabinet

Just straight into the power amp?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jus Lukin said:

Just straight into the power amp?

using an api tranzformer lx as preamp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

oh sorry, and the saddles fit without any modification 

Edited by adi77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That API looks like a solid bit of kit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is, i have the first version they sorted out the power issues in the second version and added a bypass switch, the first version needs 18v ac which is rare to find in pedal power supplies, i think the new ones are 12v (maybe18v) dc which is easier to get 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, adi77 said:

oh sorry, and the saddles fit without any modification 

Ta: could be next on my list!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st is a Gretsh ( for sale )

2nd is a Hagstrom HB 8 - sounds lovely, easy to play, but heavy

3rd is my 1963 Framus Star Bass - 30 1/2" - played it for years as a teenager

4th is a Hagstrom HB 4 - not quite as heavy as it was

5th is a Steinberger - now 31" scale - cut 2 frets off the top

DSC03449.JPG

DSC03447.JPG

DSC03446.JPG

DSC03448.JPG

DSC03451.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mildly modded Mustang! I took the advice on this thread and added Hipshot HB10s, plus Gotoh saddles, D’Addario rounds and a new pick guard care of Jacks Instrument Services

60E0601E-6BE5-46EA-870C-490518C14EF7.jpeg

26A1B9C3-BC57-4189-BA2F-5E0F45A3CEF2.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

one of the rehearsals, mustang through some not very nice combo ampeg not a v good recording either

 

Untitled.mp3

Edited by adi77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

3 Shorties in my lineup, all for use in the Glam band. The silver sparkly one is the header, a 2012 Squier Mikey Way sig Mustang...took some tracking down that one. First back up is the 2002(?) Fender CIJ comp stripe Mustang, only has this a short while and it’s just had a fret level and set up so will be getting it’s first outing this weekend. Last but not least, bringing up the rear is a silver Squier Jag SS, cheap as chips but punches well above it’s weight.

9BB9B158-16FC-4BA1-926C-DC342788CF99.jpeg

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, martthebass said:

3 Shorties in my lineup, all for use in the Glam band. The silver sparkly one is the header, a 2012 Squier Mikey Way sig Mustang...took some tracking down that one. First back up is the 2002(?) Fender CIJ comp stripe Mustang, only has this a short while and it’s just had a fret level and set up so will be getting it’s first outing this weekend. Last but not least, bringing up the rear is a silver Squier Jag SS, cheap as chips but punches well above it’s weight.

9BB9B158-16FC-4BA1-926C-DC342788CF99.jpeg

Liking all 3 of those! Have you done any mods to the Squiers? Given the price I wondered getting one and having a go at chucking in high end pups and hardware and getting a custom paint and guard job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PaulFenderJazz said:

Liking all 3 of those! Have you done any mods to the Squiers? Given the price I wondered getting one and having a go at chucking in high end pups and hardware and getting a custom paint and guard job

Cheers Paul,

Both of the Squiers are completely stock.  I've been toying with putting an hotter pup in the Squier Mustang and changing the loom (as the tone pot has very little effect on the sound) but to be honest the sound in the mix is fine as it stands so I'd be tinkering at best. The bridge is pretty good on this one, I much prefer the period correctness as opposed to the bbot that's now on the Mex Mustangs, it could do with some better tuners at some point though - I think these are the only weakness in the current Squier Indonesian offerings. The pups in the Jaguar are much hotter than both Mustangs which is part of the reason that it's been relegated from back up duty as when I switch basses on stage I just swap over the wireless dongle and don't want to be messing about with a switch/level pedal.  The body wood on the Squier Mustang is basswood and lends a decent heft; the Jaguar though is Agathis which seems to be as light as helium (causing a bit of neck dive) and has the consistency of cheese (fortunately the paint job has the robustness of Kevlar so its still totally ding free); if I hang on to it I might look out for a better body for this at some point and have a wacky paint job. 

One thing I would note is that the necks on the Squier basses are excellent, great fretting, good adjustment and take any action you'd like.  IMHO, better than the neck on the CIJ re-issue which has adjustment at the body end and can't take as low an action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/06/2018 at 08:52, martthebass said:

Cheers Paul,

Both of the Squiers are completely stock.  I've been toying with putting an hotter pup in the Squier Mustang and changing the loom (as the tone pot has very little effect on the sound) but to be honest the sound in the mix is fine as it stands so I'd be tinkering at best. The bridge is pretty good on this one, I much prefer the period correctness as opposed to the bbot that's now on the Mex Mustangs, it could do with some better tuners at some point though - I think these are the only weakness in the current Squier Indonesian offerings. The pups in the Jaguar are much hotter than both Mustangs which is part of the reason that it's been relegated from back up duty as when I switch basses on stage I just swap over the wireless dongle and don't want to be messing about with a switch/level pedal.  The body wood on the Squier Mustang is basswood and lends a decent heft; the Jaguar though is Agathis which seems to be as light as helium (causing a bit of neck dive) and has the consistency of cheese (fortunately the paint job has the robustness of Kevlar so its still totally ding free); if I hang on to it I might look out for a better body for this at some point and have a wacky paint job. 

One thing I would note is that the necks on the Squier basses are excellent, great fretting, good adjustment and take any action you'd like.  IMHO, better than the neck on the CIJ re-issue which has adjustment at the body end and can't take as low an action. 

Thanks, Mart, it certainly sounds like it’s a pretty decently built bass that could take some mods and still be reasonably priced. I’m definitely running through some ideas......😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the Squier Jag SS. I've got one... will get round to posting some pics sometime. Crazy value for money. The only mods I've made are... Fender Jazz control knobs, Gotoh bridge (I just have a thing about bbot bridges) and fave d'Addario strings. I'd like to put new pups and electronics in, but finding it hard to justify. Might just get a pearloid scratchplate from Jack sometime. The winders look a bit flimsey, but they work ok and stay in tune. The neck and fretwork is very good. Hard to go wrong at the price.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased this 2006 CIJ Fiesta Red Mustang a couple of weeks ago, very cool! Especially with some La Bella flats fitted!

1F537B05-8ADB-4315-B7E2-7ADA4573E089.jpeg.93496cad8c1811d37217bef13c09ffc5.jpeg

Si

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/06/2018 at 19:22, Trueno said:

Regarding the Squier Jag SS. I've got one... will get round to posting some pics sometime. Crazy value for money. The only mods I've made are... Fender Jazz control knobs, Gotoh bridge (I just have a thing about bbot bridges) and fave d'Addario strings. I'd like to put new pups and electronics in, but finding it hard to justify. Might just get a pearloid scratchplate from Jack sometime. The winders look a bit flimsey, but they work ok and stay in tune. The neck and fretwork is very good. Hard to go wrong at the price.

Certainly sounds like some love ou there for Squiers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently use my Squier Mustang a lot and thought I'd try a Jag. It was OK, value for money yes, but not up to the quality of the Mustang so I gave it to my grandson as a starter bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really know what you'd qualify this as to be honest. 

Bought a Squier Badtz-Maru here yonks ago, a bit of fun really.  I think it was more Bronco than Musicmaster or Mustang.  Decided to swap out the machines but it suffered a major headstock failure when I was trying to enlarge the holes.  Junked the neck and the body sat under the bed for ages.  Bought a '70s rosewood Mustang neck from the US, truss rod maxxed out, forward bow, so sold that on as a project and the body went under the bed again.  Bought a loaded Squier Mustang neck from The Stratosphere, stuck a Hotrails pickup in it and changed that wretched bridge to a Mustang one, so at least it intonates now.  Dunlop Straploks.

It plays nicely, the pickup is hot, so that helps.  I've used it tons on home demos...space is tight in the home room, so it's an easy thing to just pick up and play.

 

35289455_10216484614329819_7941555973829

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×