Why become a member? ×

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

Here's my short scales. I have LaBella flats on all 3. The HCT is my flavour of the month. A fairly uncoloured or clear tone, not plonky as per the Ignition model, but as it says on the label a more contemporary hi-fi-ish sound with good sustain. The quirky controls are very effective and the pickups powerful. A quality instrument, I use it to play with the Jazz quartet.

The Mustangs are so simple and easy to get a great tone out of with bags of sustain. Use them for Rock'n'Roll/pop stuff. Both instruments are fairly lightweight so that suits me getting lazy in my dotage.

100_0335.JPG

Edited by grandad
Grammatical error.
  • Like 1

Technically my daughter's bass but I have the odd little play on it every now and again, not a great pic but I can't be bothered taking another one!

IMG_20180531_195423_1.jpg

It's a Tanglewood Elfin 30" scale version with My Little Pony decals (Rainbow Dash if anybody is interested), sounds pretty good for what it is and was about £65.

Edited by lemmywinks

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Technically my daughter's bass but I have the odd little play on it every now and again, not a great pic but I can't be bothered taking another one!

It's a Tanglewood Elfin 30" scale version with My Little Pony decals (Rainbow Dash if anybody is interested), sounds pretty good for what it is and was about £65.

LOVE IT!!!!

3 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

That’s quality.

Had a proper brand new, bought from a shop sort of NBD.

It's a short scale Gretsch Junior Jet II in black.  For the price these are stunning instruments, in fact I literally did say "wow" when I first sat down to play it. That certainly  has never happened before. 😎

DSC01197.JPG

• Like 2

I acquire this incredible instrument recently in a trade. Quite simply on of the finest instruments I have owned and I have owned many! Build quality, tone and versatility are second to none. Controls are master vol w/push-pull act/pass, blend, passive tone, stacked bass/treble w/push-pull EQ bypass(so you can have active pups but no EQ - more useful than you may think), mid.

Specs:

Model Antía. 
5 strings.
Scale Length 32" 
Space between strings 0,669"/17mm
Nut 45mm 
Finish Gloss varnish
Olive Top
Mahogany hollow body design
Maple-Padauk-Wengé Neck
Ebony AAA Fingerboard  
ETS Bridge with Piezo
Fingerboard Radius: 9.5"
Approximate weight  3.75kg 
Markers Side dots
Aguilar DCB Pickup 
Richter electronics
Security Straplocks
Hipshot HB6Y Ultralite Tuners

olivetop_6718-e1499723348217.png

201719jun_6726-2.thumb.jpg.6aea8de4204b775bf544729d16efbe65.jpg

201719jun_6724.jpg

201719jun_6682.jpg

201719jun_6569.jpg

201719jun_6614.jpg

Edited by dyerseve
  • Like 2

Compared to the hollowbody beauty above, my short scale is somewhat simple, yet a nice piece of candy...
43359442291_194ed99843_k.jpg
Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI, I got it in a trade two days ago. Nice piece! Makes a fine contrastb to my other "real" basses... :) 

• Like 3

I'm a bit late to the party after having played 34" scales for the past 30 years or so. I've got a dodgy nerve in my left wrist that makes playing 34's in the lower register uncomfortable after a while so I've picked up a couple of shorties and find them so much more comfortable to play. 

The top one is an Ibanez Talman. They're cheap and cheerful but are a massive amount of bass for the money. I bought this one from @Thunderbird who had swapped out the pups for Kent Armstrong Vintage Hots, put some decent pots in it, replaced the jack and shielded it and with these extra tweaks it is a seriously giggable bass. I replaced the bridge myself as the stock one was a bent bit of tin foil jobbie - seriously it was really flimsy. It's been wired with a pickup blend pot instead of the stock  vol/vol/tone arrangement as I much prefer the convenience of a blend. The inlays are stickers off eBay, not that you can tell from any distance, and just help to make it look more classy than it really is :lol:

The Mustang P/J is my new toy. Classic Fender styling and tone in a short scale package. I found the 3 way pickup selector switch to be too tonally limiting so I've had it re-wired to include a volume and pickup blend by the jack socket and a tone pot where the pickup switch was on the bottom horn, I only ever leave the tone wide open so I was quite happy to have it out of the way! I've stuck a cream coloured pot on it to help camouflage it as it looked a bit odd at first, but I'm really starting to dig the look now. 

There is a touch of lateral moment on the E string bridge saddle, entirely down to my ham-fisted playing style, so the bridge may be upgraded to something like a Fender Hi-mass or Gotoh 201 at some point, but I can live with it for now. 

Shorts.JPG

Edited by Osiris
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Nice threesome 😉

Which one do you like playing the most?

Strangely enough the cheapest - the Mikey Way. Can’t give you a good reason why, the other two sound better, guess that it’s just I’ve done a couple hundred gigs with it and it feels part of me.