Why become a member? ×

Show off your short scales!

Evil Undead

Here are mine. Both great basses, budget models but still awesome.

Squier Jaguar (30") and Warwick RB Corvette (30.75")

Would like to add another to put flats on at some point, but there's plenty of time :)

[IMG]http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a407/ImaginaryEvil/15371b6b0627819c01af8559802383af_zps5eb80f7d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a407/ImaginaryEvil/8d0cb336f12714c289e01d29a834a8c8_zpscc8cf475.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Evil Undead

Does this work? Edit - Yes!

Edit again - that Squier Jag looks superb! What does it sound like?

So - you showed us yours, I'll show you mine!

My Fender Mustangmaster ®©™

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:168550]

Long version of story - I bought this 1978 Fender Musicmaster on eBay quite cheaply - £250! - thought it was my only chance to own a real vintage Fender! After a close inspection I discovered that the line I could see in the body was a a bit of an issue - the body is actually split in the upper bout down to the join and has been badly glued together. Proves the old maxim that anything that seems too good to be true most likely is. Probably unsellable as it is without making a big loss, so I decided to get a Precision pickup put in to beef up the sound - the biggest drawback with the Musicmaster. So off it went to Howard the Bass Doc, who routed out the middle to take the pickup and made a new scratchplate to accommodate it. Made a cracking job of it, too. Sounds great. Not like the Musicmaster, but not like a Precision, either. There is a sweet spot just forward of the pickup that sounds divine!

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1407349956' post='2519732']
Does this work? Edit - Yes!

Edit again - that Squier Jag looks superb! What does it sound like?

So - you showed us yours, I'll show you mine!

My Fender Mustangmaster ®©™

Long version of story - I bought this 1978 Fender Musicmaster on eBay quite cheaply - £250! - thought it was my only chance to own a real vintage Fender! After a close inspection I discovered that the line I could see in the body was a a bit of an issue - the body is actually split in the upper bout down to the join and has been badly glued together. Proves the old maxim that anything that seems too good to be true most likely is. Probably unsellable as it is without making a big loss, so I decided to get a Precision pickup put in to beef up the sound - the biggest drawback with the Musicmaster. So off it went to Howard the Bass Doc, who routed out the middle to take the pickup and made a new scratchplate to accommodate it. Made a cracking job of it, too. Sounds great. Not like the Musicmaster, but not like a Precision, either. There is a sweet spot just forward of the pickup that sounds divine!
[/quote]

I've got a feeling I saw that up on eBay. Was it fairly recent (within the last couple of years)?

Never mind the body join, I bet it sounds great :)

Couple of Dano Longhorns for your delectation - 1st reissue in 'blue suede' I believe, and a Korean 'Pro'
which remains my favourite. The black/silverburst one in my avatar was a beaut too.

Edited by casapete

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1407353781' post='2519783']
Couple of Dano Longhorns for your delectation - 1st reissue in 'blue suede' I believe, and a Korean 'Pro'
which remains my favourite. The black/silverburst one in my avatar was a beaut too.
[/quote]

I've never been quite sure how I felt about those, but I do like that blue suede one. Do they neck dive much?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1407352459' post='2519762']
Roger, that Gibson is a looker.
[/quote]you can't have a go on it cos its a lefty!! Ha ha, I prefered the Matt black one to the cherry and it was $500 cheaper.. The finish on it is very thin and it will wear off and dent easily but that's mojo innit?

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1407356666' post='2519826']
I've never been quite sure how I felt about those, but I do like that blue suede one. Do they neck dive much?
[/quote]

Had a go on one of those today and was really surprised.....really playable and seemed well balanced.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1407356510' post='2519824']That's a really cool bass. What year was it made?...[/quote]

I agree; she was made in 1964.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1407356510' post='2519824']...Looks like an old one.[/quote]

I agree, and so does the bass. :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]She could benefit from a better housing than her current over-sized Kramer hard case. Ideally, she should be supported by small velvety cushions, shaped to fit each side. If only I could find such an item. No, I mustn't dream. No-one would have such rare, yet valuable items, or, if they had, would be willing to part with them. Sigh... :rolleyes:[/size]

So what short scales would you all add to your collection? I really would like an SG but ££'s don't permit at the mo, I really like the look of those Fender Modern Player Jazz basses too so might try one of those as these seem really good value. I've even considered the Hagstrom HB4 but haven't seen many reviews so am a bit put off but it looks very good.

Edited by Number6

Always fancied a Hofner Violin, even though they can be a bit of a nightmare.
I'd love a Dan Armstrong plexi , although ones I've tried are soooo heavy. The London
series are great too, but quite rare.
And I lust after the Kay Jazz special reissues, just can't justify one!!

Ok here is my current crop of short scales

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/bMJEvdb.jpg[/IMG]

Left to right Fender modern player jazz , Landing L1 , Squier Mustang Mikey Way with EMG pickup and home made scratch plate , Fender Pawn shop Mustang

All fitted with black nylon tape wound flats except the Jazz, that has a set of chrome flats on it

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1QB1i8V.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='jazzyvee' timestamp='1407363507' post='2519909']
Here is my shorty 30.75" scale length. Body is a hippy sandwich of mahogany, purple heart & maple with cocobolo top and back.
Maple & Purpleheart through neck.

[/quote]
As far as short scale basses go it doesn't get much better than that. It's a beauty.

• Like 1