Why become a member? ×

Hristo Nikolov "Kremona"

bassmayhem

A couple of weeks ago the little wife and I were in Copenhagen for vacation. All of a sudden I saw THE music store: Marno Sörensen, established 1925. A place filled with acoustic instruments and a lot of sheet music. (They also had some EUB:s..) They had kwo windows with acoustic upright basses; I couldn't resist. We went into the shop, I tried some different basses, among them a Wilfer bass just like the one I had back in the 80's. It had the same issues as my old one: a fingerboard that was uneven and buzzing...

But - there it was! A peculiar bass with some odd dimensions. I took it in my hands and we - to quote the movie Avatar - bonded. Just like that. My wife said: It sounds like you.

The next day we went back and had a second glance. From that moment I couldnt let the bass go. It was in my head the whole time. A master built instrument, made for a Danish bassist who all of a sudden had given it up. It felt like it was made for me. Peculiar dimensions... Well, a 3/4 body and a 4/4 scale solid tone wood instrument, and a tone to die/kill for. This bass can do acoustic gigs with a drummer with no problem. And the TONE...

Well, to make a long story short: yesterday I went back to Copenhagen and took it home. An 1100 km road trip just over the day. Now it is mine. I kinda like it...

Two weeks ago in Copenhagen...

Today at home...

Edited by bassmayhem

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1407318831' post='2519366']
Great story mate and a lovely looking bass, what's the string length?
[/quote]
The string length is 110 cm (=43 1/3"). A little bit more stretching, but I have big hands. The setup is very nice, not too low action, but enough to dig in and get the growl. Not for NHÖP type of playing, though. Eb neck.

[quote name='Fran Diaz' timestamp='1407394858' post='2520010']
great story! congrats on your new bass; it looks very nice.

Isn't it a great feeling when you get to play an intrument that feels and sounds great from the very first note you play? B)
[/quote]
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wow that is a long string length, I've played a few longer scale basses recentley and it does seem to help the tone. I did a gig in denmark last month and the bass was owned by the wilson pickup guy and he apologised that it was 7/8 not 3/4 but it sounded great and I barely noticed on the left hand, a friend has a 7/8 ply with guts an that sounds great too.

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1407588044' post='2522069']
wow that is a long string length, I've played a few longer scale basses recentley and it does seem to help the tone. I did a gig in denmark last month and the bass was owned by the wilson pickup guy and he apologised that it was 7/8 not 3/4 but it sounded great and I barely noticed on the left hand, a friend has a 7/8 ply with guts an that sounds great too.
[/quote]
It has a really strong and powerful, yet nice tone. Like my li'l missus said: "It sounds like you..."

• 2 weeks later...

After having gathered the courage for two weeks I have mounted a Realist on my bass. It went geschwint, a walk in the park, etc ...
Anyway, it sounds really good. I plugged it into my Bose system, into the ToneMatch mixer, put it without "pre-shape Realist tone match", just straight. I cut the bass 6 dB and boosted midrange and treble an ounce. Then I played, and varied volume over time. It sounds almost the same acoustic as amplified, but with a touch more sub lows. An ounce of reverb makes more room in the tone too. I'm pleased.