Why become a member? ×

Gain/Volume/Level on mixer and active speakers

bonzodog

Now my band have our own vocal PA I am looking after the levels of the mics for me and the guitarist as we share vocals. Within the mixer and the active speakers there are 5 gain/volumes to deal with and I want to ensure I am getting the best out of the PA but not sure which ones I should be increasing more than others.
Its only a basic alto mixer and has a gain dial at top of the channel and then a level dial at the bottom of the channel. It also then has a master level for the whole mixer. Then on our EV Zlxp12s its has an input level on the XLR input and a master level to increase the Db level from zero to 10.
I know on the gain of the mixer i should turn it up till it just clips then back off but on the other 4 level dials I am not sure which ones should be turned up and which ones should remain lower. Or is it a case of having them all at 12 oclock and adjust from there. I have tried playing about with them on stage but soundchecks are always a bit of a rush so any advice would really help.
Thanks

Seems a lot of complication...esp if doubled on the cabs.
I'd set the cabs at 12 on both levels...
then I'd go to the mixer and work back from 12 on the input level and use the individual gain at 3/4 and then use the master level to set the level around 3/4.... but not much more.
If the P.A wasn't loud enough, I'd up the master level...and then trim back on the desk.

I'd read their manual to see how they advise the levels on the cabs to work... but if winging in, as above..

Thanks JTUK. Unfortunately neither manual gives any set up advice with regards to levels which surprised me. Previous gear ive had from Mackie and Yamaha always suggest how to balance the levels and gains. I have just never had 5 level dials to deal with before between mic and speaker

There are two conflicting schools of thought on the mixer part of the setup.

1. With the microphone connected, sing at maximum loudness into the mic whilst adjusting the INPUT GAIN so that the "Clip light" only just flickers at the loudest points. If necessary reduce the input gain a little so that the clip light hardly ever shows,

2. Repeat this process for each input, ensuring maximum loudness at the mic.

3. Now use the CHANNEL FADERS to adjust the relative levels of each mic - i.e. to MIX the mics together.

5. Set the MASTER LEVEL of the desk to around the "0" mark on the fader (usually around 3/4 of from the bottom). You can adjust this up or down a little as required.

That would set the mixer.

On the speakers you want to set the INPUT LEVEL so that there is no clipping and set the MASTER LEVEL to a convenient, easily remembered setting somewhere around 2/3 of the maximum level (e.g. 12 o' clock).

Now listen and check the overall volume. Ideally you want to be able to leave the speaker levels untouched and adjust the overall volume from the MASTER LEVEL of the desk - as this is much easier to reach. So when you do this you should ensure that increasing the desk MASTER LEVEL will not cause clipping at the inputs of the speakers (reduce the INPUT LEVELS if necessary to prevent this).

It's all a bit "trial and error" in practice but you should avoid setting any levels to maximum (can cause distortion) or to minimum (can introduce noise into the system), And always keep an eye on the clip lights to ensure that no clipping is taking place.

The other school of thought at the mixer has you set all of the CHANNEL FADERS to the same level and then adjusting the initial mix by adjusting the INPUT GAINS.

It's called "Gain Structure" if you want to look it up anywhere.

Edited by BOD2

Most of them that I have seen do... in the form of a clip light and/or protection
altho whether that is from input or output, not quite sure.
You'd think DSP would control output.

Will check my manual...

Edited by JTUK