Why become a member? ×

Getting back into it

grumpyguts

Back in the mid 80's I started playing bass; got in a band, played a few gigs of original material - had a laugh. This all stopped when I went off to Uni in 1987. I was self taught, didn't read music and apart from knowing the blues scale was musically illiterate. I think what made me useful at the time was a good sense of groove and possibly a reasonable ear; people who heard me play thought I was ok.

For over 25 years my poor old Westone Thunder 1a was rather abandoned by me while marriage, kid etc took over.

However for the past 18 months I have been having lessons and think that perhaps I am ready to expose my lack of ability to others.

What is the best way to get back to playing in a group situation? Initially just informal stuff - no pressure. What would I need to know to hold my end up?

[quote name='grumpyguts' timestamp='1407149881' post='2517722']
What would I need to know to hold my end up?
[/quote]

You've just gone and done it - joined BC :D

Welcome. My history was much the same as yours. The info and encouragement on here got me back up and running.

I suggest you post your Q in the General section, and I'm sure you'll get loads of helpful info. And well done getting back into da bass. it's an itch you have to scratch. :)