Why become a member? ×

New Squier CV's!

theyellowcar

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1406975036' post='2516344']
+1 - almost caved a couple of years ago on the '60s P except I didn't like the "fiesta red" ( = pink) finish. That black one with the block inlays...I probably shouldn't be allowed in the same shop as one of them!
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I love my CV's but hate the look of the P. I even got a VM for its looks over playability (as it now has my CV Jazz neck on it). Guess money will be laving ym credit card very shortly :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1407333379' post='2519522']
I've always thought that block necks should be accompanied by binding, and reserved for Jazz basses. Always looked out of place on a P to me.
And, although I'm a massive fan of b/b/m precisions, doesn't the Matt Freeman model fill that particular niche and price range?
[/quote]

It depends how good the matt freeman one is... is it vintage modified kind of quality or up to the classic vibe standard? my classic vibe precision was ridiculously good.

Seems weirdly prescient, seeing that black P-bass. I put mine together (after the original neck went bad) to be a blackguard version of the custom-order shown on page 54 of The Fender Bass: A History. That one, and mine had the A width Jazz-type neck. I know there was a MIJ 70s P, but that had a B neck width, as does this Squier. Otherwise, I'd probably be getting one as a backup backup!

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1407333379' post='2519522']
...I'm a massive fan of b/b/m precisions, doesn't the Matt Freeman model fill that particular niche and price range?
[/quote]

Agree, however I suspect this model may exist to burn through some of the excess parts they have lying around from the Matt Freeman. Same body, same hardware, probably the same pickup. With added blocks to make us lot swoon over it :P

I was in Wunjo today to pick up some strings and they had the new Silver Jazz, I didn't have chance to stop and have a play but it looked great!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407446104' post='2520734']
Basswood bodies though, for that money I`d hope for alder (ash would be nice on the 70s Precision).
[/quote]

Always found it funny how the rock-bottom Affinity P and J basses are the only ones in Squier's range with alder bodies with the rest using agathis, basswood or maple. Seems back to front to me!

Edited by theyellowcar

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1407334133' post='2519532']

It depends how good the matt freeman one is... is it vintage modified kind of quality or up to the classic vibe standard? my classic vibe precision was ridiculously good.
[/quote]

I'm led to believe that the Artist Series Squiers like the Matt Freeman Precision and the J Mascis Jazzmaster are at least as good as the CVs. They're certainly all made in the same factory in China, whereas the VMs are Indonesian-made IIRC. The Matt Freeman in black and the CV Precision in Sonic Blue both interest me more than any of these new ones.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1407479322' post='2520866']
I'm led to believe that the Artist Series Squiers like the Matt Freeman Precision and the J Mascis Jazzmaster are at least as good as the CVs. They're certainly all made in the same factory in China, whereas the VMs are Indonesian-made IIRC. The Matt Freeman in black and the CV Precision in Sonic Blue both interest me more than any of these new ones.
[/quote]

Is the blue CV precision still around? I could only get hold of the tomato soup red one... I got a Squier Mikey Way mustang for my sister and it felt more Vintage Modified level than the Classic Vibe I had, but I haven't tried those other ones you mentioned. I just found out there's an olympic white Matt Freeman P! Wish I knew about that when I got my tomato soup CV.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1407482286' post='2520888']

Is the blue CV precision still around? I could only get hold of the tomato soup red one... I got a Squier Mikey Way mustang for my sister and it felt more Vintage Modified level than the Classic Vibe I had, but I haven't tried those other ones you mentioned. I just found out there's an olympic white Matt Freeman P! Wish I knew about that when I got my tomato soup CV.
[/quote]

Nah, the blue ones been discontinued I think, I'm always on the look out for a decent second hand one though.

To be honest I'd forgotten about the Mikey Way Mustang, and looking at the Squier site there are a few others as well that are about the same price bracket as the VM range, all coming out of the same factory in Indonesia. The Artist Series instruments made in China though are from the CV factory, and are every bit as good as the CVs, or at least the ones I've tried were, certainly not on the same level as the VMs. I guess the price tag would act as a guide.

Edited by Jono Bolton

[quote name='philw' timestamp='1406987448' post='2516465']
I wish I was Fender you know 'cause with the parts bin I'd have available there'd be endless hours of fun to be had creating cool new models to torment people with. That 50s P Bass looks especially lovely.

I wonder what Fender would say to a proposal for a "Squire Custom Shop" business? The idea would be that customers could specify a bass created from almost any combination of the currently available Squire parts. The parts would be ordered direct from the various Squire manufacturing companies, the basses put together (with any mild fettling necessary) and shipped direct to the end customer. I reckon the business would be swamped with orders.

Anyway, in reality, I know exactly how Fender would respond to that idea, but hey, I can dream can't I?

Phil
[/quote]

Email Bono