Why become a member? ×

Interface makes my guitar/bass sound out of tune....

the boy

I'm using a focusrite 2i2.... With logic x... When I record bass or guitar through it, it sounds out of tune. When I mic the guitar or bass and record it sounds perfect (well you know what I mean). What's goin on? Any ideas. I could mic the guitars all the time but that's not the point so please don't suggest that :D . I recently changed from apogee to focusrite and I never had this problem with apogee interfaces. Please be as condescending as is necessary and don't be afraid to state the obvious.

I wonder if it could be a sample rate mismatch somewhere? Ie if your interface driver/settings are set to be using one sample rate and the project is using another, it could transpose and play back at the wrong pitch. I think I've had it before but I'm not 100% sure. When you say it's fine when you mic it, you mean as opposed straight into the interface?

[quote name='untune' timestamp='1406851560' post='2515406']
I wonder if it could be a sample rate mismatch somewhere? Ie if your interface driver/settings are set to be using one sample rate and the project is using another, it could transpose and play back at the wrong pitch. I think I've had it before but I'm not 100% sure. When you say it's fine when you mic it, you mean as opposed straight into the interface?
[/quote]
Exactly... I use an apogee USB mic and that sounds ace.

I don't have that problem with mine.

Maybe drop a tuner (from metering) into the effects, check see what it says about your instruments tuning, and keep it on display while you're recording.

:)

Edited by ambient

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bud,

This is quite unusual. When you're tracking, are you using the direct monitor switch on or off?
If on, you're hearing the sound of your guitar/bass exactly as its fed into the interface (you'll want to disable your DAW input monitoring in this case as mentioned above), if this is fine, I'd suggest the interface is working as it should.
If you switch the direct monitor off and so therefore are monitoring your signal through your DAW and the problem occurs, then there maybe a DAW setup issue here.

There looks to potentially be an issue with Logic perhaps, although not necessarily the same as your issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5257076?tstart=0

Do you have the same issue with midi as well as audio?
Do you have the same issue when using a different DAW? If you don't have another DAW, checkout Reaper as a 'free-to-evaluate', should do what you need to test.

Let me know how you get on.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1408701086' post='2532633']
Hi Bud,

This is quite unusual. When you're tracking, are you using the direct monitor switch on or off?
If on, you're hearing the sound of your guitar/bass exactly as its fed into the interface (you'll want to disable your DAW input monitoring in this case as mentioned above), if this is fine, I'd suggest the interface is working as it should.
If you switch the direct monitor off and so therefore are monitoring your signal through your DAW and the problem occurs, then there maybe a DAW setup issue here.

There looks to potentially be an issue with Logic perhaps, although not necessarily the same as your issue:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5257076?tstart=0

Do you have the same issue with midi as well as audio?
Do you have the same issue when using a different DAW? If you don't have another DAW, checkout Reaper as a 'free-to-evaluate', should do what you need to test.

Let me know how you get on.

Simon // Focusrite Technical Support
[/quote]
Thanks mate, that's a lot to think about and check out. I'll have a look and post some info once I'm done. My mate tells me I'm being paranoid and I might be imagining it. Maybe I am. Thanks for the advice.

No worries, let me know how you [color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]get on[/font][/color]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif][color=#000000]When tracking, if the issue occurs when not usin[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]g [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Direct Monitor (so monitoring through Logic), you may want to talk to Apple to see if this is something they're aware of a fix to.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Si // Focusrite Technical Support[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1408715604' post='2532891']
No worries, let me know how you [color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]get on[/font][/color]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif][color=#000000]When tracking, if the issue occurs when not usin[/color][/font][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]g [/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Direct Monitor (so monitoring through Logic), you may want to talk to Apple to see if this is something they're aware of a fix to.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Cheers[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Si // Focusrite Technical Support[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Good advice. I'll post some details once I've got it all up and running again. My mate is gonna borrow the 2i2 and have a play around on reaper to see how it sounds.

I'm [color=#373737][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]glad to hear you're all sorted.[/font][/color]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][color=#373737]Let me know if you have any issues, on here or drop Technical Support an email:[/color][/font]

http://global.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

[color=#373737][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/font][/color]
[color=#373737][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Si // Focusrite Technical Support[/font][/color]