Why become a member? ×

Favourite female bassists.... Go!

Pixiechick23

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1406880680' post='2515487']I like what Julia Rusicka does with Future Of The Left. Self-indulgent 42:28 long YouTube clip follows...[/quote]

Those guys are awesome. Love the aggressive bass sound too.

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1406878610' post='2515469']
Paz Lenchantin.

When I saw her in the video for A Perfect Circle's début single (Judith), I thought she was one of the effortlessly cool people I'd ever seen.

That bit where during the song's breakdown she quickly ties her hair up on her head. Just.... wow.

Edit: Here she is in full glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgKRCXybSM
[/quote]

I hate to burst the bubble but she didn't play a note of bass on that album. Only strings.
But in that video, man... :gas:

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

There is a monster player born in Malaysia, riased in Australia and now based in New York called Linda Oh. I have two of her cds downloaded ('Entry' and 'Listen Here') and she is a great player with great ideas and great compositions. As a player, she towers over Tal but is less well know because she has no high profile gig. Her website is www.lindaohmusic.com. It is also unnecessary to pre-fix her with 'female' bass player. She is a top drawer Jazz musician with chops, ideas and soul.

Also worth checking out is Melissa Slocum who (quoted from her website) 'has worked with such legends as Art Blakey, Lionel Hampton, Cab Calloway, Clark Terry, Wynton Marsalis, Woody Shaw and Hank Jones. Comfortable in genres ranging from duo to big band, traditional to avant garde, she has performed and recorded with Charli Persip and Superband, Ralph Peterson and the Fo'tet, Avery Brooks with Craig Harris, Howard Johnson and Gravity, Dakota Staton, Kevin Mahogany, the Firey String Sistas and the all woman big band DIVA, among many others. She has worked with bandleaders Eddie Chamblee, David "Fathead" Newman, Frank Wess, Hamiet Bluiett, Don Byron, Jay Rodriguez, Frank Lacy and Nioka Workman; pianists Walter Davis, Jr., James Williams, John Hicks, Kirk Lightsey, Cyrus Chestnut, Roy Merriwether, Henry Butler, James Weidman and Darrel Grant to name a few. She has played for numerous vocalists including Dee Dee Bridgewater, Nnenna Freelon, Michelle Lee, Maurice Hines, Jeannie Bryson, Leon Thomas, Jon Hendricks, Michelle Hendricks, Ann Hampton Callaway and Dianne Reeves. Television appearances include Newport Jazz Festival 1999, Kennedy Center 25th Anniversary Gala, BET Interview, CBS Sunday Morning, CNN with the Kevin Mahogany Quintet and CBS News with Lionel Hampton. Ms. Slocum holds a Master of Music in Jazz Studies from the Manhattan School of Music. She studied jazz bass with Lisle Atkinson, Stafford James, Milt Hinton, Rufus Reid and Ron Carter. She received an NEA grant for jazz study in 1986'.

www.melissaslocum.com

My own faves have already been mentioned (especially Me'shell Ndegeocello and Carol Kaye).

But I'll also add Este from Haim. She mostly gets talked about because of her captivating bass face... but I like how she's aware of that, doesn't give a sh*t and just gets on with the job of knocking out some solid b-lines. Good on her :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1406881791' post='2515501']
I hate to burst the bubble but she didn't play a note of bass on that album. Only strings.
But in that video, man... :gas:
[/quote]

Don't worry, the bubble is still very much inflated. She may not have played on the track it but she owns that sh!t, if you'll forgive the colloquialism.

At first I thought this is difficult but having read the thread I can see there are so many.

Carole Kaye who helped pave the way, Suzi Quattro who put the girl bass player out front and the new players such as Esperanza Spalding with heat ability and personality.

I can add that I played in a band with Suzie Quattro when she was doing vocals only and a nicer lady you couldn't wish to meet.

A bit off track perhaps but girl and bass always coungers up the picture of Kate Bush holding a Fender bass. Stunning.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1406882663' post='2515510']
Carol Kaye for me. I love this insanely busy line with its gorgeous muted/picked tone:

[media]http://youtu.be/lg9LGNbxiB8[/media]
[/quote]

+1
Carol Kaye for starting it all but more than that she was an amazing musician..and check out the Kojak theme too for smooth but musical buseeness and then Suzi Quattro for simply doing the guy thing when giwls didnt do that sort of stuff.

I really like Miranda Sykes who playes live bass (mostly upright) for Show Of Hands, she's got a great voice too - her solo album is pretty decent, all covers though I think.

She doesn't do much fancy stuff in SOH, as it's folk there's not loads of room for that, but her feel and note choice are superb.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1406911802' post='2515887']
I always liked Patrica Morrison (Gun Club and Sisters of Mercy) solid bassist
[/quote]

Ah yeah forgot about Pat Bag. Cant believe i forgot about Gaye Advert either (not after seeing those pictures anyway :) ) Must be getting old or summin.?

Mine has to be the amazing Kat Marsh from The King Blues. I got chatting to her after seeing her new act Lionface play at the Louisiana in Bristol. I was chatting to her bass player and she overhead us and chatted to me for ages about which basses I had. All round top girl, down to earth and friendly and just one cool lass. Totally have a massive crush on her now!

Here she is playing for the King Blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lD8gey7HYI

And here is her new act Lionface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X40VN3hwrsQ

I've got a lovely signed CD off her too :D