Why become a member? ×

Slightly noobish Jazz Bass question

parker_muse

If you can cope with a Squier logo and active 3 band-EQ preamp then the Squier Deluxe Jazz Active might be worth looking at.

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/squier/series/deluxe/deluxe-jazz-bass-iv-active-4-string-ebonol-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

She is purdy. I really want a LPB or the Fender Japan OLPB colour, no pick guard, maple neck and blocks.

I'm drooling typing that.

But that is one nice looking bass. Whats the active set up like on those squires? I've only played the passive ones... had a VMJ many moons ago and it was lovely.

The Squier active preamp is, to my ears, quite restrained and I think the bass still sounds like a Jazz; you just have more control when you're looking for a particular tone. The mid control comes in handy if you want to fill the mid-scoop that you usually get when both pickups are fully on, plus there's a 'slap switch' which boosts the bass and treble. The three band EQ frequencies are Bass - 100Hz, Mid - 1000Hz, Treble - 10KHz. It uses a volume + blend rather than two volume knobs and the pickups on mine are also totally quiet when soloed.