Why become a member? ×

My son has got a drum kit.......

lee4

My eldest (7) has drum lessons at his school (very music orientated school - I approve) but we've not got room for a kit at home. I'm considering doubling the size of the garden shed and putting a small one (kick, snare, hats) in there as a starter to get him used to reading 'standard' rhythms, then see how we get on.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1423001491' post='2679520']...and putting a small one (kick, snare, hats) in there as a starter to get him used to reading 'standard' rhythms...[/quote]

If he's motivated, this is the way to go. Kick, snare, hi-hat (and a ride, please..?); that's what it's all about. The fancy stuff, the toms, the china, the splashes... All that gets grafted on, and can very easily modulate depending on lots of things, but the rudiments are all in those few elements. If he's happy to put in the time, it'll pay off a hundredfold. Get those carpentry tools out; don't wait for Spring..! :)

[quote name='Bikenbass' timestamp='1422999069' post='2679465']
Fantastic, you must be so proud. Break a leg. :)
[/quote]
What a show!
Kids as young as 4 up to some 60+ performers,and as far as I am concerned they were all stars.
As we know,it takes guts to take to the stage,and everyone did thier best and kept parents/siblings/friends entertained.
Some of the performers made little timing errors,but as they were all new to thier respective instruments,what the hell!
Some of the singers were "in the zone"and definately feeling the emotion of the tracks.
There was a lad of about 8 or 9 playing a full size bass on 2 of the songs and he was spot on,in the pocket,and had a good tone.I think the bass was bigger than him!
My son admitted to being nervous before he went on,but he did his best,and made me and his Mum very proud.
Yes,I had a little cry,but tell everyone I had grit in my eye please!

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1423427389' post='2684662'] What a show! Kids as young as 4 up to some 60+ performers,and as far as I am concerned they were all stars. As we know,it takes guts to take to the stage,and everyone did thier best and kept parents/siblings/friends entertained. Some of the performers made little timing errors,but as they were all new to thier respective instruments,what the hell! Some of the singers were "in the zone"and definately feeling the emotion of the tracks. There was a lad of about 8 or 9 playing a full size bass on 2 of the songs and he was spot on,in the pocket,and had a good tone.I think the bass was bigger than him! My son admitted to being nervous before he went on,but he did his best,and made me and his Mum very proud. Yes,I had a little cry,but tell everyone I had grit in my eye please! [/quote]

Ah that's wonderful, thanks for keeping us up to date. If I could only find an instrument my Son would take up, (he's nearly 11.)

After threats from the neighbours going to the council, I bought my son an electric Roland kit. He started at 7, now 17 he is genuinly me drummer of choice, he is superb!
Invest in your son, if he doesnt follow it through, no worries. I am so glad I did. Cheers, Karl