Why become a member? ×

My son has got a drum kit.......

lee4

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406639444' post='2513282']
Have you got a garage, outhouse or shed that is not connected to the house?
If so, you could move in - sorted! :)
[/quote]
I'm ringing the builder as we speak!

Sounds like he's more experienced and likely to be better than one I played with last month so tell him we'll pick him up on Saturday about 6pm. Does he need a set list beforehand?

(can't find smileys on an iPad)

Edited by leschirons

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1406641275' post='2513317']
My son started at 7 on an Alesis electronic kit. He's now 11, studying for Grade 6, and has just asked if he can have a second bass drum added to his acoustic kit "you know Dad, like Cozy Powell"! :)
[/quote]

Parenting done right!

My son started at 7 on an Alesis electronic kit. He's now 11, studying for Grade 6, and has just asked if he can have a second bass drum added to his acoustic kit "you know Dad, like Cozy Powell"! :)
[/quote]

A 2nd bass drum is fine ala Cozy Powell but please draw the line at flying lessons.

Edited by Number6

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1406636485' post='2513220']
OK,it's the sprog's 7th today,and he has received a drum kit as a prezzie.
Should I consider lessons or adoption?
Perhaps just setting fire to it would be simpler?
[/quote]

Congrats, my son got his first (Philips) electric kit about that age, battered it to death in a year or two. Bought him a "Percussion Pro" (??) kit when he started lessons at school. Went to his first school gig when he was 15 (opening act, blackened stage, a pin-spot picked out his hands as he counted them in on his sticks raised above his head. Their sound exploded as the lights came on and my bottom lip quivered "that's my boy") Bought him a silver Pearl Export kit for his 21st and he still plays, though not as much, at 31.
Only had trouble once. A neighbour phoned the police to complain about the noise because she was on night-shifts. I told the police it was the first we'd heard of it & if she'd come and said I'd have told him to change his practice hours, so they went over and bollocked her for wasting their time.
Over a few years I was roadie, manager, agent, promo, driver & minder (only needed a couple of times with club/pub managers wanting to rip them off)
One of their self-written songs by one of his bands "Poplar" (as in the tree) :rolleyes: was John Peel's record of the week once and is still in my Top 10 fave tracks, though they do "industrial metal" now :blink: .

[/quote]

Whoa there! You are getting way too ahead of the game there , my friend . First see if you can get out of the whole deal completely.

Start at the beginning and demand a DNA test. The Jeremey Kyle Show is always an option ( " You Got My Son A Drum Kit... Now Get Me The Truth ! "). Your partner may be a little upset when you first suggest this course of action , but the excuse to get a new outfit and go on T.V to show it off is too much to resist for most women and she will soon come round to the idea. <_<

Edited by Dingus

My son started having lessons at 11....He was playing Led Zeppelin songs by the time he was 12..... :) . My lad had a Pearl Rhythm traveler kit ,with a full set of practice heads, he could beat the sh...it out of it with very little noise.......good news is you'll always have someone to jam with... :D

[/quote]

Could have been much worse - it could have been a guitar!!!

I'm just keeping it simple here so..

Silencer pads if needed and best make sure they have good bounce or they're pretty much useless.
Timing ...nice and steady playing along to different music with good wrist action.

Rudiments and practise/ practise/ practise.

It's always good to see how to fit in a particular rudiment and not just get bored doing it on it's own so, this guy is pretty good at showing how to incorporate them.
All the very best to your lad and at a good age for it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpd0G6fxXk

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[/quote]

Next it will be. Can I have 4 like Alex van halen !!!!!

My daughter is only six weeks old but I'm gonna get her drums as soon as she is old enough. How cool would it be to have a drummer that I can ground or put on the naughty step when she starts being a pain at gigs or rehearsals?

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1407322471' post='2519394']
My daughter is only six weeks old but I'm gonna get her drums as soon as she is old enough. How cool would it be to have a drummer that I can ground or put on the naughty step when she starts being a pain at gigs or rehearsals?
[/quote]

You'd better start practising this yourself, but I fear it'll be to little avail. You'll find it very, very hard to get any kind of discipline of that type from your daughter, at any age. It's already too late, chum..! :mellow:[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]The drums idea is cool, though... B)[/size]

• 5 months later...