Why become a member? ×

Who Do you Know That Has Made It?

blue

There are all sorts of people who I have jammed with in house bands who claim to have played with various people and many you take with a pinch of salt. There was one guy though who was a genuine (semi retired I think) session player who had played with Ry Cooder which I thought was quite cool. One of my oldest mates (known each other since we were in primary school) moved to Nottingham at the same time I did and has been a regular radio presenter/broadcaster/producer in the East Mids (and Rutland) for a long time, not really a household name though!

A producer I manage to blag the occasional session with has worked for Paul McCartney, Johnny Cash and John Martyn amongst many others. Pretty intimidating but lots of great anecdotes. I also did a festival the other day and the engineer was very kind and helpful, paid the band some compliments, I gave it the old 'Well you can't make chicken soup out if chicken shi* can you?' To which he looked mildly bemused. Turns out he did the sound for the Olympic opening ceremony- doesn't need small fry making wise cracks then!

I knew the lads from Elbow (especially Guy) and Daman Gough (Badly Drawn Boy) before they hit the big time.

All very hard-working musicians who had been on the Manchester scene for [i]years[/i] (in the case of Elbow, a decade) before they got swept up and became household names. I'm not in touch with any of them these days - they've all moved down south or overseas - but it's always nice watching them on the telly and remembering hanging out at Night & Day Cafe, Big Hands and other Manchester venues 'back in the day' :)

• 2 months later...

So, around 1965(ish) I used to chuck Chris Squire in the back of my minivan and take him (& the band kit) complaining loudly, all the way from his home in Kingsbury to the Graveyard venue opposite North Harrow Bowl (after they quit the St Andrews church hall venue). The band then was The Syn, changed to the Selfs- I have a good memory of Chris screaming 'Heatwave' into the mic at the Harrow TA centre- around this time, Joanne (his mother) played me a studio dem of the 'new band' (Yes) - must admit it wasn't my thing.....the last time I saw Chris was when he and various members of his entourage tried to ponce entry into a Geno Washington gig that I was promoting. I figured that he was (then) worth the odd mil, so I offered them reduced rates, seeing I had expenses to meet - the response was less than charitable, and that was that..............
:D

Edited by taunton-hobbit

I've got a few friends who've played for various well known artists.

Most notable, is a drummer who I'm really good friends with, drums occasionally for Lisa Stansfield and is also a member of Barclay James Harvest, and I also get on really well with his mate who's the bassist with BJH, and I see them and play with them on a regular basis :)

Oh yeah, and the drummer also gigs with Dare (fronted by Darren Wharton from Thin Lizzy for those who don't know)

Edited by goblin

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1414353174' post='2588590']
So, around 1965(ish) I used to chuck Chris Squire in the back of my minivan and take him (& the band kit) complaining loudly, all the way from his home in Kingsbury to the Graveyard venue opposite North Harrow Bowl (after they quit the St Andrews church hall venue). The band then was The Syn, changed to the Selfs- I have a good memory of Chris screaming 'Heatwave' into the mic at the Harrow TA centre- around this time, Joanne (his mother) played me a studio dem of the 'new band' (Yes) - must admit it wasn't my thing.....the last time I saw Chris was when he and various members of his entourage tried to ponce entry into a Geno Washington gig that I was promoting. I figured that he was (then) worth the odd mil, so I offered them reduced rates, seeing I had expenses to meet - the response was less than charitable, and that was that..............
:D
[/quote]

A guy that used to run a record shop in Cardiff years ago had some great stories about The Syn as he'd been in a band that had supported them a few times. Best one was Squire throwing a hissy fit & refusing to go onstage because he'd forgotten to pack his stage cape. :D

Take a look at this site. Went to school with quite a few of the Carlisle guys. But then we just seen them as bands to dance to every Saturday & Sunday night. Went to most of the dance halls mentioned on this site. Think the only one one who really made it big at that time was of course Greg Ridley. Should stop looking at this site makes me feel really ancient.

http://www.fenderstrat.co.uk/