60th Commemorative Stratocaster

Musicman20

Great 2TS body, 2 pieces, ash - check

Pickups receiving excellent reviews - check

Normal American Standard price, yet in the USA, $200 more than the AS! - Check

Beautiful case - Check

Gold hardware - Not sure yet...

Has anyone played one of these?

I am about to buy a new Strat (my first) and I want an American Standard. Not fussed about nitro/vintage specs, I want a guitar that looks like a Strat should, sounds like a Strat, but isn't fussy with how you look after it and what stand you use, etc. I hate nitro finish checking!

Has anyone tried one of these?? I'm not sold on the gold but I find it actually seems to suit the colour of the body...

Different models of Strats all feel a little different - different neck profiles, weights, neck radius etc. etc.

The best way to choose a Strat is to go to a shop that stocks a large number of different models, explain to the assistant that you will very likely buy one today and ask to try lots of different models. Forget he colour initially, just try different models. Find one or two that feel best and then take it from there.

I did this very thing in Guitar, Guitar in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and left with a beautiful American Deluxe V-neck, never having even heard of that particular model before. But the feel of the neck sold it for me. I tried around 20 different models and kept coming back to that one.

I agree with BOD2. Go with what feels right...
I have had the best part of 50 strats or teles over the years and they all feel different. I eventually settled on two mid 90 MIJ ones as the feel was so good. In general, with small EQ adjustments, they all sounded pretty much the same, some slightly darker or hotter than others - like a strat or tele - with the exception of ones with noiseless pickups. They just didn't have the same bite. My personal choice is to change pickups to Tonerider Surfari pickups. Low output 50s sound, lovely
In all honesty, I have been disappointed with USA standard strats, I think the Mex Deluxe or Classic player models sound and feel better.