Why become a member? ×

Amp for Surf/Garage

rapscallion

I'm getting into guitar alot recently, and want an amp that can handle that thrashy garage/surf sound (think Dick Dale/Ty Segall). Logic points to a Fender Blues Junior (I drive my amps with fuzz/overdrive pedals), but I'm not sure if the reverb tank is up to it on one of these? I've seen that some people mod the tank, which seems fairly simple, but I'm wondering if theres any further suggestions out there?

Well, for the [i]real[/i] Dick Dale sound you need a Fender outboard valve reverb and a pair of Fender Showman stacks. Tot up the cost and think again... :(

My feeling is that Blues Juniors don't have the necessary clean headroom and crispness for the job. For £500-600 you could pick up a 70's SF Pro Reverb (ideally the 40w job without the master volume) or an SF Twin Reverb. Not an easy one-handed lift, though.

If the standard onboard Fender tank reverb doesn't do it for you then have a look at boutique 'Reverb Spring' pedals by SubDecay, Catalinbread or Wampler. That said, some people like the Boss FRV while the 'spring' option on the Behringer Boss knock-off isn't bad.

Edited by skankdelvar

A silver-face reverb deluxe would do well, and many times I've wished I'd bought that instead of my AC30. My take is that you want something you can push *a little* so you can have bell-like tones and some compression to give more sustain. Lots of good reverb pedals around, and IIRC even some reverb tanks containing a spring.

I think the reverb on a Blues Junior is the weak link for that sort of style, as it just doesn't get the depth and splashiness of the valve driven reverb on the older Fenders. So I'm going to second the suggestions above for a Blackface or Silverface Fender of some sort (whether an old one or a re-issue) and choose the model to suit your tastes for volume and amount of dirt. Anything from a Princeton Reverb to a Twin Reverb will get you that basic sound, it just depends what size of room you need it in and how loud your band are.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1406288235' post='2510179']
... IIRC even some reverb tanks containing a spring.
[/quote]

I forgot about those - well remembered, Sir! Van Amps do the Sole-Mate and the Reverb-A-Mate. At the lower price end Danelectro used to do a thing called the Spring King but there were some published issues about transmitted stage noise, IIRC.

Edited by skankdelvar

I have a Fender Blues Jr and modded the tank, adding a reverb tank bag too and the thing is simply incredible. I've had the same amp since 2007 (not that I play a lot of guitar these days) and it really holds its own. I think those Jr's are incredible when modded.

It would be worth checking out old MusicMan amps from 70s and early 80s too, like the 210sixtyfive with reverb and tremolo. They come with tank already bagged too. You might want to make sure it has an alnico stock MM speaker or been upgraded to an EV12ML for best tones though. I've heard these amps are similar in tone to BlackFace Fenders; but never having owned a BF I don't know how true this comparison is. I do know that the MM amps are great value for money though and have the best clean tone on earth or in heaven. The bigger ones are just as heavy as the big Fenders. Also don't be put off by the transistor preamp and valve power amp - that combination is what gives them such great clean tones combined with all that lovely valve tone and bounce in the power stage. Also you can switch down the power headroom with most of them, e.g. run them at 35w or 65w; this allows you to have an amp that stays clean forever or switch it down to make it break up more easily.

Edited by Bassnut62