Why become a member? ×

Rock crowd pleasers with more challenging basslines

flunkie

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1406035344' post='2507693']
I could never improvise anything worthwhile, so I learnt it note for note from the record by ear.
[/quote]

Nice, don't suppose you ever wrote it down in some form or other? my improv isn't exactly stellar either :blush:

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1406038070' post='2507741']
Nice, don't suppose you ever wrote it down in some form or other? my improv isn't exactly stellar either :blush:
[/quote]

Nope, never, sorry. I probably couldn't remember it now if I tried either, it's been a couple of years since I've played it.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1406048708' post='2507865']
Might take a look at this book, Amazon seem to do it.
[/quote]

It's rather wide ranging. Might have been better if they'd done specific versions for the different genres. Also a bit dated now.

Some great suggestions, thanks everyone :D Now to get them past a guitarist who thinks that any suggestion of learning something complicated is because you're an "egomaniac" and not interested in pleasing the crowd! He's a top bloke, but he doesn't get the whole 'pushing yourself musically' thing at all!

I've been wondering why there is practically nothing from the past 25 years on this list (I haven't checked or anything tho). Is it because there isn't much in the way of crowd pleasing or bass player challenging material? Or simply the diffuse nature of music distribution now...?

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1406030418' post='2507616']
The bassline under the solo in Are You Gonna Go My Way is epic, took me ages to get that right when I used to play it in the old band.
[/quote]
I havent got it completely right myself - but manage to keep the groove going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULedZSK5tFM

[quote name='flunkie' timestamp='1405972080' post='2507146']
Hi all,

So, I'm playing in a covers band doing classic and modern rock. They have a (fairly sensible) rule about only doing well known, crowd pleasing, danceable songs. Most of the stuff we do is fairly easy on bass. I wondered if anyone could suggest some songs that meet their criteria, but are more challenging for me. (The guitarist is not one for learning difficult pieces, just to add to the problem!) Thanks for your help :)
[/quote]

Played how Jimmy did it - not the Oasis way - Noize is a busy one for bass. Intro it with "Got any Oasis fans in?" for added laughs.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_Afzm9wiU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du_Afzm9wiU[/url]

OK - I give up - which button is it to embed direct to YT these days? :angry:

I would also say "I predict a riot", and if you fancy funking it up a bit 'You are the Universe' (Brand New Heavies) is also groovy.

'Ruby' also Kaiser Chiefs has got nice variation and feel. "Under the bridge" RHCP nice syncopation if you need a slow number.

How about some Hendrix? Lots of scope to double the guitars and play around a bit.

Shove some 'Living Colour' in there - Doug Wimbish lines make for an interesting gig...
Eton Rifles by the Jam is a good one to get your teeth into as well.

If your guitarists are up for it then Iron Maiden baselines should keep you on your toes too, left AND right hand workout!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1406918322' post='2515943']

If your guitarists are up for it then Iron Maiden baselines should keep you on your toes too, left AND right hand workout!
[/quote]

Ooh, good idea, sir - I defy someone to tell me that [i]Run to the Hills [/i]and [i]Running Free [/i]wouldn't be crowd pleasers!