Why become a member? ×

The 4 Hour Bar Gig, A Thing Of The Past?

blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463743647' post='3053751']
That's great Dave. A nice little lunchtime read with a few links to stuff I have yet to "appreciate". Thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

Thanks HKH, you may never appreciate some of it, particularly the Tiffany, she is an acquired taste.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463726051' post='3053594']

You saw TJHE? Twice? Wow! Mark me as impressed!
I might just have gone with you on this if you'd said you had been at every gig since day 1, but you saw him twice. When you were 16.
Now, let's get over ourself shall we. You're a sexagenarian who plays in a bar covers band, not some kind of musical savant.

To get back on topic - a thing of the past? Not sure it ever was. A thing of the future? The orderly queue is predictably short.
[/quote]

It wasn't a big deal, I grew up 15 minutes outside of NYC, so music was easy to access.It was merely an example to support my position.

Me, I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to play in a working bar band.

Do you know where most guys my age that I grew up playing with are playing now? They're not playing anywhere.

But consider us as your opening act next time your band plays Wembley.😄

Blue

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463768979' post='3053986']

Been there, done that. The Stadium mind, not the Arena!

I'll give you a shout if I ever go back.

I'm not paying for your flights though!
[/quote]

That's a deal.😃

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463678133' post='3053338']
Stage time for bar bands is "golden" use it to improve your chops and understanding of the business.
[/quote]

I can see your point. I'd imagine that your bookings are more exciting than rehearsed sets given that you are all poised to find out what the band leader is going to call next. Some degree of spontaneity is a desirable quality for any performance

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1463822602' post='3054282']

I can see your point. I'd imagine that your bookings are more exciting than rehearsed sets given that you are all poised to find out what the band leader is going to call next. Some degree of spontaneity is a desirable quality for any performance
[/quote]

I agree, there was a time when felt following a set list was the professional way to gig.

I've changed my position, I think the BL calling out the songs in groups 2-3 songs is a good idea. Set lists might work better for headliners doing 80 minute shows.

Blue

You can't plan a set for a 4 hour gig... you can't do it very well with 2x45's as the break stops any momentum..
That is why 80mins straight through is the best option.
But again, doesn't work in pubs.
If you are playing a show, then straight through is the way to go... but if alcohol sales are the whole point, then
the LL wants a break.

Pub bands are not generally good enough to keep people engaged and listening for over an hr in one hit either, IMV.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463844848' post='3054537']
You can't plan a set for a 4 hour gig... you can't do it very well with 2x45's as the break stops any momentum..
That is why 80mins straight through is the best option.
But again, doesn't work in pubs.
If you are playing a show, then straight through is the way to go... but if alcohol sales are the whole point, then
the LL wants a break.

Pub bands are not generally good enough to keep people engaged and listening for over an hr in one hit either, IMV.
[/quote]

In the States if your not a regional or national headliner your not going to have many 80 minute shows. The 80 minute show is not an option over here.

I will agree that most bar bands are not as good as the headliner bands I've seen.

Blue

Edited by blue