Why become a member? ×

The 4 Hour Bar Gig, A Thing Of The Past?

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463500597' post='3051854']
No, not at all, no breathers and were not up there playing laid back blues progressions. We do take 2 ten minute breaks.

Everybody is moving and we're fronted by young female lead guitarist and shared lead vocals.We're not a couple of old grey hair guys up there playing the blues offering.

By the time a lot of guys playing clubs and bars reach my age they get sick if it.

I suppose at some point in time gigging might become to much of a strain. But right now for me, I might as well be 23, still love it still having a "blast".

Blue
[/quote]

Have you a youtube clip of your band? I woudnt mind seeing what you guys do for 4 hours.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1463558673' post='3052219']
I don't who would want to listen to 4 hours plus of the same Band, even Springsteen in his prime became a yawnfest after 3 hours lol.
Customers must come and go unless they just plant you in the corner with the flowers and just use you for muzak.

Some of my favourite bands used to do almighty sets ,The Clash and The Who, but running time was no more than 3 hours.
[/quote]

High Fox, nobody wants or listens to a live band for 4 hours. However, it's the format for bar bands in the US. Every weekend it's either 9-1 or 8-12 gigs. And 3-7 on Sunday.

As mentioned before people go from one bar to another. The 3rd set crowd is usually a completely different crowd than those there for the 1st set. Definately a cultural difference.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1463565338' post='3052317']
I'm not sure I could put together a band where everyone agreed on 4 hours worth of tunes!

Obviously if it is a proper paying job then you play only what the punters want, but that's different to gigging as a paid hobby.
[/quote]

Then you wouldn't play bars in the midwest. It's a 4 hour night or nothing.

I look at it as a business where I get paid to do something I love and have fun.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463590803' post='3052669']
High Fox, nobody wants or listens to a live band for 4 hours. However, it's the format for bar bands in the US. Every weekend it's either 9-1 or 8-12 gigs. And 3-7 on Sunday.

As mentioned before people go from one bar to another. The 3rd set crowd is usually a completely different crowd than those there for the 1st set. Definately a cultural difference.

Blue
[/quote]
Cool, I guess it is a totally different kind of thing. Most of my gigs there is a cover charge to get in, so people tend to stay put once they are in.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1463565137' post='3052310']

I agree, something short but memorable vs lengthy and forgettable is a no brainer to me!
Though last time I saw Pearl Jam they played close to 3 hours I think and I was totally engrossed the whole time! :D

But then again if it's just background noise at a bar, I wouldn't mind either way.
[/quote]

Again, nobody stays for 4 hours.So there's nothing lengthy about it for the punters. They stay for a set then leave, go to another bar and see another band.

Blue

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1463591121' post='3052673']

Cool, I guess it is a totally different kind of thing. Most of my gigs there is a cover charge to get in, so people tend to stay put once they are in.
[/quote]

Corect, as a matter of fact when we started 10 year's ago we all agreed we did not want to people to pay to see us.

The only places that charge a cover are the clubs for originals bands where your working with 2-3 other bands. After the bands pay the sound guy they are lucky if they get $5.00 each.

Blue

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1463564297' post='3052301']
i play in originals bands, so the thought of doing a 4 hour gig is something i just would not entertain.

i can see why some bands do it, but i wouldn't, even if i was in a function band.

I find bands who go hell for leather for a shorter period of time infinitely more entertaining than those that go on for hours, so i play the way i would want to see bands.

each to their own i guess.
[/quote]

Yes, to each his own. Personally I love the 4 hour format. 2 forty five minute sets would never work for me.I truely enjoy this work and that's not enough playing time for me.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1463560929' post='3052246']
I think the environment Blue plays in is more like we would experience on something like a holiday abroad. Theres an act on most of the night playing a set, having a break, another set and so on to a fairly constantly changing audience drifting in and out, in our case almost entirely tourists. I went to a bar in Skiathos last year and a duo (gtr/vox plus a drummer) must have played for nigh on 4 hours split over 4 or 5 sets. Started about 10pm and were into their final set as I left about 1:30am. They do cut corners to learn the material though. As it happened the act I saw was doing classic rock and some greek trad mixed in. I noticed he avoided playing nearly all of the signature guitar solos ;)
[/quote]

Kev gets it.

I think most people broad stroke the term cover band, were not all the same. No more than all originals bands are the same.

I've never played "Mustang Sally" "Moon Dance" or any of the other songs that mis label cover bands.

Blue

Edited by blue

Some of the above are overlooking the existence of other forms of gig than a rock concert. For variety orchestras, there is a clue in the name: variety. A typical evening would cover a wide spread of musical styles, most apt for dancing, but not all catering for the same dances. There would be a session of waltzing, some quick-step, a few tangos, some rock'n'roll, a bit of twist... The evening would be an event for the whole village or town, and entire families would attend; the music reflected the mix of generations. Many a couple would be formed with these social occasions. It's not all rowdy pubs and punk; there are other gigs.
Typical ambience...

Just sayin'.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463592346' post='3052691']
Some of the above are overlooking the existence of other forms of gig than a rock concert. For variety orchestras, there is a clue in the name: variety. A typical evening would cover a wide spread of musical styles, most apt for dancing, but not all catering for the same dances. There would be a session of waltzing, some quick-step, a few tangos, some rock'n'roll, a bit of twist... The evening would be an event for the whole village or town, and entire families would attend; the music reflected the mix of generations. Many a couple would be formed with these social occasions. It's not all rowdy pubs and punk; there are other gigs.
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Eactly and very good perspective. Our festival and fair shows are certainly different than our bar shows.

Blue

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463592346' post='3052691']
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Crikey.... maybe a few years ago a function band would cater for that, no problem.. nowadays your function band can be playing 60's gtr anthems as those guys are you 70 yr old dudes and is what they grow up on..!!
They wouldn't likely know a foxtrot or waltz if it whacked them in the kisser..!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1405905499' post='2506405']
I hear you Sam, I'm lookin at 61 real soon and last New Years Eve we did a 2-7, packed up ( lights and full pa) and went to do a 9-1.

To be honest, I'm retired and while I still have no problem with the 4 hour bar/club gigs, I have the time and means to start looking at national or regional touring acts. I have been networking and sending out feelers. I actually heard back from a young lady from your side of the pond. A blues guitarist singer song writer Chantel, i forget her last name.

Blue
[/quote]

McGregor?

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463592923' post='3052698']...
They wouldn't likely know a foxtrot or waltz if it whacked them in the kisser..!!
[/quote]

Yeah, but some of us play with [i]real [/i]musicians. :mellow:

:lol: :P

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463619198' post='3052911']

I would be very interested to see the content of your four hour set. Would you be willing to post it as I am genuinely interested.
[/quote]

The BL calls all the songs, no set list. I'm not sure what your looking for, we play rock and blues from the 70, Savoy Brown, Peter Green, Robin Trower, Hendrix, Cream, Joplin. If your under 60 years old, I doubt those names would mean anything to you.

Blue

Edited by blue

Bands have always been plagued by egos. I can deal with an over active ego if the guy can back it up.

The good musicians I've known have always known they were good. Some had over active egos and some didn't, but anyone who stands in front of other people and says "look at me and what I'm doing" has to have a larger ego than most.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463592923' post='3052698']
[/quote]

You can Quick Step to Chuck Berry songs, as we discovered on one ""square peg - round hole"" gig we did many years ago.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1463645612' post='3052985']
Bands have always been plagued by egos. I can deal with an over active ego if the guy can back it up.

The good musicians I've known have always known they were good. Some had over active egos and some didn't, but anyone who stands in front of other people and says "look at me and what I'm doing" has to have a larger ego than most.
[/quote]yep, a front man with no ego is not going to be very good, nothing wrong with having a big ego as long as you realise you have and can therefore keep it in check when required

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463626185' post='3052913']
Savoy Brown, Peter Green, Robin Trower, Hendrix, Cream, Joplin. If your under 60 years old, I doubt those names would mean anything to you.
[/quote]
because under 60's don't listen to music any further back than the 80's... what a daft comment.

What do so many on BC jump to negative conclusions when Blue posts?

"I doubt" means he is expressing an opinion. He might be right or he might be wrong, but like everyone else here he should be able to express opinions without being attacked for it.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463617928' post='3052906']
Has there ever been a 4 hour bar band market in the UK?

Blue
[/quote]
Interesting question and I'm not sure that I know the answer. I have never been aware of 4 hour gigs around here, although back in the early 90s there were a few city centre bars that wanted bands to play for around 3 hours to appeal to a 'bar hopping' audience rather than one that had come specifically to see the band.

The 4 hour gig appears to be more common in mainland Europe than over here.

I think Blues "cover band" is lining up to be about the same as what I would consider a "function band" in the UK.

However, I dread to think what a good function band would charge for a 4 hour set in the UK.... :blink: