Why become a member? ×

The 4 Hour Bar Gig, A Thing Of The Past?

blue

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1463223911' post='3049674']
Too many previous comments to read.

Quick view. Thats about 2 hours too long for me, the audience and definitely the singer.

I've seen some of my fav bands - top class acts - and have had enough after a couple of hours. Attention span is like that these days. I remember Marcus Miller coming to do an encore and thinking "no" thats enough, i want a crepe.

During a few years of being pro and doing the 5* hotel circuit around the Middle East we had to do 4 x 45 minute sets. Felt a lot more like work than the 2 x 45 minute sets im doing tonight at a wedding.
[/quote]
I think that the point is that a 4 hour gig is for a different type of audience.

For an audience coming specifically to see a live band then one and a half to two hours is more than enough before they start to lose interest, no matter how good the band is. The four hour gigs work on the basis that you have a transient crowd who want some entertainment before they move onto the next bar. The point of having live music in a place like that is to encourage the punter to stay a bit longer and buy another drink because of the band and possibly return later in the night. However, there will not be many punters who stick around for the full 4 hour set.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1463225691' post='3049705']

I think that the point is that a 4 hour gig is for a different type of audience.

For an audience coming specifically to see a live band then one and a half to two hours is more than enough before they start to lose interest, no matter how good the band is. The four hour gigs work on the basis that you have a transient crowd who want some entertainment before they move onto the next bar. The point of having live music in a place like that is to encourage the punter to stay a bit longer and buy another drink because of the band and possibly return later in the night. However, there will not be many punters who stick around for the full 4 hour set.
[/quote]

Pete's right, nobody stays at a bar for 4 hours. The crowd for the last set is usually completely different than the 1st set crowd.

People over here "bar hop", you go to several different a bars and see several different bands over the course of an evening.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1463140493' post='3048931']
I have only ever done one where we did 4 sets of about 45 minutes in the one night and never want to do it again.
First set started about 7pm and the last set finished around 2.30am. Count the load in and out and travel home and it was near on a 12 hour thing.
Fairly well paid, but we all agreed never again. Might be ok if your a whipper snapper or a full time pro with no other responsibilities.
[/quote]

I play 4 hour shows every weekend and have 2 coming up this weekend. We have a 9-1 on Saturday night and a 3-7 on Sunday. I love it, my kind of weekend.

I would come under the no other responsibility category. And I plan on keeping it that way.

Blue

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1463468056' post='3051493']
Have you ever played a venue with netting across the stage to catch flying debris? I'm still not sure if that scene from The Blues Brothers was in any way representative.
[/quote]

I once played a gig at the Norwich Oval with a Death Metal band I was in when I was 14. They put up a full metal grille type thing covering the front of the stage, like that fencing they put around council basketball courts etc... They also erected some heavy duty crowd control barriers about a foot back from the front of the stage.

... seemed a little over the top for the seven people in attendance, but I guess you can't be too careful... :mellow:

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1463468056' post='3051493']
Hi Blue

Have you ever played a venue with netting across the stage to catch flying debris? I'm still not sure if that scene from The Blues Brothers was in any way representative.
[/quote]

No, but I've played clubs where a chicken wire barrior wouldn't have been a bad idea.

Blue

I have to say anyone is welcome to a 4 hr playing gig.
2x 1hrs is my limit and that includes weddings and functions.

Anything more than that is filler and no one will take any notice anyway... maybe a few drunks
but the bar determines their interest more than anything else.. :lol:

Depending on your set, I'm favouring 50-70 minutes now..as 2 x 45 or 1hrs breaks the flow.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463484472' post='3051674']...
Anything more than that is filler and no one will take any notice anyway...
[/quote]

Apparently you've not experienced dance evenings, à la française, where all are on the floor from 9 till 2. Woe betide the band that leaves a 'blanc' in the proceedings. Taken over more by the disco-type scene, 5 hours non-stop is the norme in some circles, and poses no problem at all for serious musicians.

I suppose if it's the norm in the area you operate then that's just the way it is.

Here in pubbandland it isn't thankfully. In fact we recently knocked one back that wanted 3 x 45 minute spots.

Maybe it's an age thing as well but the thought of playing for 4 hours doesn't thrill me much to be honest.

Les

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463485727' post='3051686']
Apparently you've not experienced dance evenings, à la française, where all are on the floor from 9 till 2. Woe betide the band that leaves a 'blanc' in the proceedings. Taken over more by the disco-type scene, 5 hours non-stop is the norme in some circles, and poses no problem at all for serious musicians.
[/quote]

:lol: And I doubt you'd get me playing them either.

I did 4 hr dance gigs years ago...and have no desire to go back to them.
You'll need 3 strong vocalists for that or you play instrumentals as well.
Tough call when a lot of bands barely have one...

My defintion and thresholds for 'sh*** gigs gets larger all the time. :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1463485727' post='3051686']

[/quote]

4 hours is all I know. For me a 2 hour bar gig would not work. I really enjoy playing 4 hours. I also like the 80 minute festival and fair shows.

Blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1463496449' post='3051804']
there's no way the band I play in could do 4 hours with the effort we put in (punk) I'm in my sixties but our drummer is 28 and he is absolutely shattered at the end of 2 x 1hour sets plus encores
[/quote]

I'm 63, playing 4 hours is a piece of cake for me. The tear down is a little rough on me , but that's ok too.

Blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1463490593' post='3051749']

My defintion and thresholds for 'sh*** gigs gets larger all the time. :lol: :lol:[/quote]

As I've gotten older and since I do this for a living I can adapt to any type of gig.

It's a job, I go in a play bass guitar for a set number of hours, get paid and go home.And hope I have another gig the next night.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1463499534' post='3051843']
I'm 63, playing 4 hours is a piece of cake for me. The tear down is a little rough on me , but that's ok too.

Blue
[/quote]no disrespect Blue, but the point I was making was that if we just stood there and played, 4 hours would be ok but we do a lot of jumping around and play all fast punky stuff (hard work for the drummer), no 10 minute blues style guitar solo's in our set, that may not be the case in your band of course but I would imagine you have songs where you take a 'breather'

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1463500188' post='3051849']
no disrespect Blue, but the point I was making was that if we just stood there and played, 4 hours would be ok but we do a lot of jumping around and play all fast punky stuff (hard work for the drummer), no 10 minute blues style guitar solo's in our set, that may not be the case in your band of course but I would imagine you have songs where you take a 'breather'
[/quote]

No, not at all, no breathers and were not up there playing laid back blues progressions. We do take 2 ten minute breaks.

Everybody is moving and we're fronted by young female lead guitarist and shared lead vocals.We're not a couple of old grey hair guys up there playing the blues offering.

By the time a lot of guys playing clubs and bars reach my age they get sick if it.

I suppose at some point in time gigging might become to much of a strain. But right now for me, I might as well be 23, still love it still having a "blast".

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1463506164' post='3051913']
My current band will do an absolute maximum of 80mins, it's more likely to be an hour though.

That's the way we like it.
[/quote]

Your band must be a headliner act.

There's no 80 minute business for local bar bands in the States. 80 minute shows are for national and regional headliners.

The local originals bands might see a few 80 minute shows, but they would be "no pay" shows.

Blue

Edited by blue

I don't who would want to listen to 4 hours plus of the same Band, even Springsteen in his prime became a yawnfest after 3 hours lol.
Customers must come and go unless they just plant you in the corner with the flowers and just use you for muzak.

Some of my favourite bands used to do almighty sets ,The Clash and The Who, but running time was no more than 3 hours.

I think the environment Blue plays in is more like we would experience on something like a holiday abroad. Theres an act on most of the night playing a set, having a break, another set and so on to a fairly constantly changing audience drifting in and out, in our case almost entirely tourists. I went to a bar in Skiathos last year and a duo (gtr/vox plus a drummer) must have played for nigh on 4 hours split over 4 or 5 sets. Started about 10pm and were into their final set as I left about 1:30am. They do cut corners to learn the material though. As it happened the act I saw was doing classic rock and some greek trad mixed in. I noticed he avoided playing nearly all of the signature guitar solos ;)

i play in originals bands, so the thought of doing a 4 hour gig is something i just would not entertain.

i can see why some bands do it, but i wouldn't, even if i was in a function band.

I find bands who go hell for leather for a shorter period of time infinitely more entertaining than those that go on for hours, so i play the way i would want to see bands.

each to their own i guess.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1463564297' post='3052301']
I find bands who go hell for leather for a shorter period of time infinitely more entertaining than those that go on for hours, so i play the way i would want to see bands.
[/quote]

I agree, something short but memorable vs lengthy and forgettable is a no brainer to me!
Though last time I saw Pearl Jam they played close to 3 hours I think and I was totally engrossed the whole time! :D

But then again if it's just background noise at a bar, I wouldn't mind either way.