Why become a member? ×

The 4 Hour Bar Gig, A Thing Of The Past?

blue

As a Veteran bass guitar player, I never lost the thrill or fun of the 4 hour bar gig. At 60 i'm still out there in the trenches every weekend with my band. It's not a lot of money but we get paid decent $$$$. Also, important to note, I don't have hobbies or other interests outside of gigging

In the States in seems like some of the younger guys don't like the 4 hour bar gig. It could be the pay, or they don't like bars or anything.

Why has the 4 hour bar gig lost it's appeal?

Comments

blue

4 hours is way too long for one band...especially when it comes to the modern party/clubbing culture.

The longest gig I've seen was Pearl Jam. 2 and s half hours ish.

You lose a lot of the punters at 10/11 when they move on.

4 hours is a lot of music! Well done :)

Edited by Musicman20

France, the '70s. Saturday was dance-hall night, most nights of the week in the summer season. A marquee-type tent, or the village hall; the variety band would start at 21h00 and play pretty well non-stop until 02h00, sometimes a bit more. There's only one who doesn't get a break on stage; that's the drummer. Variety numbers, popular hits, past classics, accordion 'musette'; it's all good as long as they're dancing. By the time the gear was torn down and packed away, there'd often be a 'soupe à l'oignon' laid on, almost as breakfast. Load in around 16h00, pull out around 07h00, on to the next town, 150 kms away. Would I do it again..? Like a shot. :D [i]Could [/i]I do it again..? Nah, not for a fortune..! :blush:
Happy days; killed off when the disco clubs opened up.

Edited by Dad3353

Well, I think 8-12 or 9-1 is still standard for bar /club gigs on this side of the pond. And I'm talking about those of us that play at the bar/club level, not headliners doing 90 mins.

My real concern was to get a consensus on why younger musicians seem to not be into the 4 hour bar gig as previous generations.

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1405900828' post='2506388']
My real concern was to get a consensus on why younger musicians seem to not be into the 4 hour bar gig as previous generations.
[/quote]

In fairness, four hours is a hell of a lot of material if you're going to play it to a good standard.

It's one of the few things that gets easier as you get older, provided you can remember all that material of course. :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1405896491' post='2506349']
We've done 3 hours a couple of times before, and everyone considered it to be a ridiculously long time. Me included!! We generally do either one straight 2 hour set or an hour followed by a break then 90 minutes
[/quote]

You youngsters have no stamina... :P

My day yesterday:

07:00 Load up van and travel to venue.
08:00 Arrive at venue and unload kit.
08:30 Coffee break :)
09:00 Setup PA, backline and lighting.
11:00 Soundcheck
11:30 Tidy up
12:00 Leave venue.

19:00 Back at venue.
19:15 First dance.
21:15 Break
22:00 Second set.
00:00 Finish
00:10 Encore
00:15 Finish

01:00 Break down
02:00 Leave venue
02:30 Back at lockup - unload.
03:00 Leave lockup.
03:30 Back home, shower, coffee and bed.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1405901684' post='2506390']
In fairness, four hours is a hell of a lot of material if you're going to play it to a good standard.

It's one of the few things that gets easier as you get older, provided you can remember all that material of course. :)
[/quote]

Quite the opposite, I found..! In my twenties and thirties, I could hold down a 6-hour repertoire, with another couple of hours 'spare' in case the 'boss' wanted to dredge something up for a change. The stamina for performing was there, too (a couple of bottles of orange juice by my feet...).
Nowadays, I can't always remember how the next verse goes, or what the following tempo is supposed to be, and drop sticks at almost machine-gun speed. My 'covers' band now play 2 x 1/2 sets, with oxygen in between for me, and a paramedic in the wings..! No, I don't count as 'experienced' any more; simply 'old'..! :blush: :lol:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1405901684' post='2506390']

[/quote]

At 60 actually close to 61, I still love it, however there are certain aspects of it that are harder for me now than when I was in my 20s. Being organized with a plan of action for set up and tear down helps.

Blue

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1405895661' post='2506338']
4 hours is way too long for one band...especially when it comes to the modern party/clubbing culture.

The longest gig I've seen was Pearl Jam. 2 and s half hours ish.

You lose a lot of the punters at 10/11 when they move on.
[/quote]

The trick is to just keep shovelling out stuff that people want and keep them on the dance floor.
We gave up using setlists years ago. :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1405895661' post='2506338']
4 hours is a lot of music! Well done :)
[/quote]

It is a lot, but we've been together for about 8 years now so it's been quite easy to keep adding material as we've needed it.
Rock band? easy
60's night? no problem
70's cheesy extravaganza? we have flares.
80's fancy dress night? dead easy.

I draw the line at Abba nights though as I look cr*p in lycra and a blonde wig. :D

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405902430' post='2506393']
My 'covers' band now play 2 x 1/2 sets, with oxygen in between for me, and a paramedic in the wings..! No, I don't count as 'experienced' any more; simply 'old'..! :blush: :lol:
[/quote]

You are Mick Fleetwood and I claim my £5. :lol:

I'm not feeling the 'old' part yet, but rest assured, it'll come. ;)

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1405903183' post='2506395']
Being organized with a plan of action for set up and tear down helps.
[/quote]

Absolutely.

My band take the p*ss out of me for the almost military precision I insist on for loading, setting up and breaking down.

I get my revenge when they deviate from the plan and we end up with a bank of lights not working and nobody can tell me which cable is (supposedly) feeding them or a pair of wedge monitors that won't fit back in the same van they arrived in. :D

I haven't quite managed to get them to salute when I enter the room, but I'm working on it. ;)

When I was in a covers band in the '70's, we occasionally did two 90 minute gigs in different venues. Lunch time in one venue, break down and travel to the next gig for 5pm. Out by 9.30am for the first and getting home about 2am. Some weeks we would play 9 gigs in 7 days while holding down full time jobs. I'm knocking on 60 now and I couldn't imagine doing that now.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1405904005' post='2506399']
When I was in a covers band in the '70's, we occasionally did two 90 minute gigs in different venues. Lunch time in one venue, break down and travel to the next gig for 5pm. Out by 9.30am for the first and getting home about 2am. Some weeks we would play 9 gigs in 7 days while holding down full time jobs. I'm knocking on 60 now and I couldn't imagine doing that now.
[/quote]

Hell yeah, I've done a few of those. :D
Being a couple of years shorter than you in the years department, I can still do it but my coffee intake goes through the roof.

I am [b]so[/b] rock and roll. :lol:

Well, here is another thing. When the band is "on fire" with a good size hot responsive crowd, that 4 hours goes by a lot quicker than playing to an uninterested crowd.

BTW, I agree with the set list comment. When the dance floor is filled we push the setlist off to the side for a while.

Blue

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1405904005' post='2506399']
[/quote]

I hear you Sam, I'm lookin at 61 real soon and last New Years Eve we did a 2-7, packed up ( lights and full pa) and went to do a 9-1.

To be honest, I'm retired and while I still have no problem with the 4 hour bar/club gigs, I have the time and means to start looking at national or regional touring acts. I have been networking and sending out feelers. I actually heard back from a young lady from your side of the pond. A blues guitarist singer song writer Chantel, i forget her last name.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1405905053' post='2506403']
Well, here is another thing. When the band is "on fire" with a good size hot responsive crowd, that 4 hours goes by a lot quicker than playing to an uninterested crowd.
[/quote]

Absolutely.
If the audience is having fun then we are as well.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1405905053' post='2506403']
BTW, I agree with the set list comment. When the dance floor is filled we push the setlist off to the side for a while.
[/quote]

We listen to our audience as well.
Suggestions for new material are followed up afterwards and feedback about performance is worth its weight in gold.

Never do more than 2x 1 hrs.

Friend of mine works Florida and he says they play 4x45 and 1x1hr...
to which I say f*** right off.....
I think they get decent money but that is a ridiculous amount of time to play and
the vast majority will be filler and you need two very good vocalists to get anywhere
near a set... which is pretty hard to do.

Totally pointless gig to my mind...your set will be all over the show and you are playing by numbers..
Talk about flogging it... and your lead Vox..!! I doubt he will be able to do 2 show in a weekend
at that rate..??

For the covers band I used to be with, our regular slot at one of the local venues was 3 sets (2x 1-hour + 45min). Either all covers, or a mix of covers and ceilidh. Usually the [color=#222222]audience[/color] would have had us playing longer, but the management insisted on a DJ set from midnight onwards. He was always too loud and played terrible stuff - every time he started he killed the vibe within minutes. In 9 months of doing that gig every week, I never once saw a single person on the dance floor after the DJ came on...

In the past when pubs closed at 11, I found that 2x45 always used to be the standard. These days with pubs staying open later, we play for longer. Last Saturday I did 9.30 to 12.30 with a half hour break.

At functions, we generally play a 45 first and then anything up to a 90 minute second set, sometimes longer if it's going mental and we're allowed to. Pubs are much more controlled, there's one we play regularly where we go on at 10pm and play till about 1am, with a 15 minute break in there somewhere, but that's the exception rather than the rule - 2x45 is what's asked (and paid) for most of the time, so that's what we do. Never been asked for a 4 hour set, in 30+ years of playing...must be a US thing.