Why become a member? ×

Finally gone wireless! line 6 g30

0175westwood29

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405867953' post='2505971']
They are great, and if in a band playing on large stages, or in a band with clumsy band-members, they are such a help.
[/quote]

I got my G-30 back in 2009. I think they are great on large stages, but just as useful in small bars where space is a premium.

Blue.

Got mine today. Very pleased :)

Only played it in the garden, the bathroom, the drive and the street but it looks like it's going to be a great bit of kit.

Can't wait to gig with it on Saturday. I'm assuming these things work ok from the ladies toilet ?

Les

• 1 month later...

G55+rackmount incoming from Anderton's! :D I've had several different wirelesses over the years, mainly Trantec (S4.5 is very good) but also an old AKG which was nice and an Ashdown Freebass which was unprintably bad. Getting back into gigging seriously now after something of a layoff and have decided to treat myself.

I love my wireless. I have the Shure GLX16D beta. It isn't cheap but it has a rechargeable lithium ion battery with 16 playing hours of charge time and I can recharge/top it up it in the car on my way to gigs. I have never had even a whisper of interference while gigging with it and cannot hear any difference in my sound.

Had a funny thing at a festival this weekend just gone...the sound guy was mixing via ipad and it went a bit screwy so he asked if anyone had the line6 digital wireless cos it always interferes with his ipad connection...I switched back to wired for that show and he was happy...me less so...anyone else had this?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443450369' post='2874778']
Had a funny thing at a festival this weekend just gone...the sound guy was mixing via ipad and it went a bit screwy so he asked if anyone had the line6 digital wireless cos it always interferes with his ipad connection...I switched back to wired for that show and he was happy...me less so...anyone else had this?
[/quote]

Yes - you should have said to the sound guy, get yourself a 5 GHz router. - It's because his wireless router will have been running on 2.4Ghz and your data streams were not playing nicely with his. You should have been able to switch channels though to avoid the problem.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443453317' post='2874815']
Yes - you should have said to the sound guy, get yourself a 5 GHz router. - It's because his wireless router will have been running on 2.4Ghz and your data streams were not playing nicely with his. You should have been able to switch channels though to avoid the problem.
[/quote]

cheers matey :) I presumed there'd be a fix for it cos it seems like 90% of the wireless systems out in playland are line6...I suggested switching channels and he 'poo-pooed' the idea...

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443453659' post='2874822']
cheers matey :) I presumed there'd be a fix for it cos it seems like 90% of the wireless systems out in playland are line6...I suggested switching channels and he 'poo-pooed' the idea...
[/quote]

The reason he poo-pooed it is that he/she wanted to eliminate any risk (even if it could be fixed with a channel switch) to loss of control of the PA mix. Once bitten and all that. That kinda makes his need greater than going wireless - especially if he is using a console-less mixer.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443453804' post='2874827']
The reason he poo-pooed it is that he/she wanted to eliminate any risk (even if it could be fixed with a channel switch) to loss of control of the PA mix. Once bitten and all that. That kinda makes his need greater than going wireless - especially if he is using a console-less mixer.
[/quote]

which is why I didn't press the issue and just reached for my spare cable to make him happy...'keep the sound guy sweet' and all that :)

On a side note, the problem with RF congestion is getting worse. Where users are standing next to their receiver and not requiring a greater amount of transmission power, I'd like to see more manufactures add a 1mW switch to reduce the impact the system has on surrounding wifi devices.

I've just read that Line6 has an option on their transmitter that reduces the power down to 3.3mW. The added bonus is that with less power, you can get more devices in the same RF spectrum without running inter modulation issues and of course, much longer battery life. If you aren't running about all over the place, I would highly recommend that you take the power down to avoid such problems in future.

10mW and even some devices which are transmitting at 30mW is just ludicrous to provision a couple of metres (if that) worth of wireless transmission.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443454155' post='2874835']
Sometimes the path of least resistance is best. :P
[/quote]

yeah I didn't want to tick him off, I could make everyone's life easier at the expense of some small convenience for me...not really an issue and exactly why I carry a backup cable :)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1443454848' post='2874844']
I edited the post above to include the bit about the low power option. Don't know if you have seen it or not. May prevent this situation should you play in a similar environment again!
[/quote]

"I've just read that Line6 has an option on their transmitter that reduces the power down to 3.3mW. The added bonus is that with less power, you can get more devices in the same RF spectrum without running inter modulation issues and of course, much longer battery life. If you aren't running about all over the place, I would highly recommend that you take the power down to avoid such problems in future."

Oo, gonna check in the manual whether the G50 can do this! :)

I've been using a G30 for about a month now and I'm dead happy with it. I got a charger & 4 rechargeables from Maplins at the same time. Last weekend I used a different bass on one gig and I forgot to take the transmitter off another bass so I had to do the gig with a lead. It literally got under my feet and in my way. It's funny that it has never bothered me in 30 years of playing, until now. I love the freedom of wireless for moving around, and it comes into it's own at soundchecks where I'm often out front mixing with an iPad.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1443453659' post='2874822']

[/quote]

Something is not right with that sound guy.

I played plenty of festivals this past summer with provided high end sound. Nobody has ever had a problem with my line6

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1443819546' post='2878037']
Something is not right with that sound guy.

I played plenty of festivals this past summer with provided high end sound. Nobody has ever had a problem with my line6

Blue
[/quote]

Cheers Blue, I did wonder about him :)