Why become a member? ×

what are your best tips?

julietgreen

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1405956028' post='2506900']
all good advice, except what's all this locking into the bass drum? very old school
[/quote]

It depends on the repertoire (ie: whether one is playing music or not..! :lol: :P ).

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405956508' post='2506909']
It depends on the repertoire (ie: whether one is playing music or not..! :lol: :P ).
[/quote]
bit of a narrow POV there, being in time is compulsory but just playing a note when the beater hits the bass drum is not

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1405957559' post='2506919']
bit of a narrow POV there, being in time is compulsory but just playing a note when the beater hits the bass drum is not
[/quote]

What heresy is this..? :o

Nah, it was tongue in cheek ribbing, that's all. There are styles which benefit from 'locking', others where it would definitely be detrimental. It's never a Good Idea to totally [i]ignore [/i]the drums, though.
Best tip..? Protect your hearing whilst it's worth protecting. Once it's shot, it's shot for good and for all. :(

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1405957928' post='2506923']
What heresy is this..? :o

Nah, it was tongue in cheek ribbing, that's all. There are styles which benefit from 'locking', others where it would definitely be detrimental. It's never a Good Idea to totally [i]ignore [/i]the drums, though.
Best tip..? Protect your hearing whilst it's worth protecting. Once it's shot, it's shot for good and for all. :(
[/quote]
Phew, glad you weren't serious, thought I was doing it all wrong

Forget about having an ego - remind yourself regularly that you are there to make the others sound good. So, concentrate on your job of keeping the groove and tucking in with the drums. For me, the satisfaction comes from being a good bass player, not being flash. The result of this will be that you get lots of gigs and are popular with the other musicians.

A young bass player said to me, not so long ago, that he wasn't going to play like me, he was going to play 'more complicated, more like lead bass.' He's still playing in his bedroom - I'm out gigging most weeks.

One band I regularly play with used to call their ex-bassist Marco Polo, because ' he didn't where he was, didn't know where he'd been, and didn't know where he was going'. And I always remember that I used to enjoy going along to see Rory Gallagher when Gerry McAvoy was his bass player. He'd play solid straightforward bass all night and then he'd have a short spot and play a blistering jaw-dropping solo. That's what it's all about!.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1405875586' post='2506047']
* 'Bass player' leather porkpie hat: Don't. Just don't.
[/quote]
The leather porkpie (albeit very beaten up) was good enough for the OldGit. It is therefore good enough for me :)

Re the earplugs: I've got a great pair of 'musicians' earplugs' that work brilliantly [i]when I'm not playing.[/i] In spite of the claim that they don't change the sound quality, just cut it down, I really find it difficult to play with them in. Perhaps I just need to get used to it. :unsure:

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1405975593' post='2507208']
Perhaps I just need to get used to it. :unsure:
[/quote]

You will get used to them, and it's well worth doing too. I'm the only member of our band who used ear protection over the last 40 years or so and I'm the only one who isn't stone deaf. Tone deaf, perhaps...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1405956028' post='2506900']
all good advice, except what's all this locking into the bass drum? very old school
[/quote]

I do it whenever possible. It doesn't necessarily mean [i]every [/i]note on [i]every [/i]kick drum hit - but a bit of syncopation doesn't hurt.

The thing about a forum like this is that you ask for advice you will receive plenty – some of it good (I am sure that everyone will agree that ‘marry a woman with small hands’ is particularly profound counsel for a girl starting out to make her way as a bass player) and some perhaps not so helpful…

It may be’ old school’, but ‘locking into the bass drum’ is pretty good advice, especially if you are playing rock music and want to play with decent bands! Playing a note when the beater hits the bass drum will make the band sound bigger and tighter – qualities generally approved of by people who like to listen to / play in rock bands! Like all rules, it is made to be broken and as Discreet says above, it doesn’t have to be ‘every note on every kick drum hit’. However it is a pretty good starting point…

Always get the young man's name and address.

Business cards. If you're in a band, make sure you've always got some business cards because you're the only one in the band who will have. (This also applies to capos, spare leads, lighting rigs, and PA).

Make sure the hat you buy is the right size.

Fans. Get a clip-on fan to keep you cool. A hand towel is useful too.

Use a guitar stand to hold your bass, don't just prop it up unless it's a headless that's happy to be stood on end.

If you want to get ahead, get a hat.

Don't take any advice from anyone on a bass forum.