Why become a member? ×

Damaged fingertips

FinnDave

Any good ideas for re hardening the finger tips of my right (plucking) hand? We played a gig on Friday and it was so hot and sweaty that my fingertips were swelling and softening like they do in the bath. Played another gig last night and my fingers felt a little sore at the start, by the end of the second set they were getting damn painful! First finger is still too sensitive to type.

I have never experienced this before in getting on for 40 years of playing so have no idea how to repair the damage. Our guitarist suggested super glue, I'm not convinced.

Any tips on tips??

I was always a great believer in fabric plasters. Found I could play with fingers plastered up, no problem. However I have recently learned a thing or two! :-)
Last Sat we played an hour long set in a hot sweaty pub. Since I had already had a bass lesson and a two hour rehearsal that day, my plucking fingers were all sore and blistered.
I duly applied the plasters. But by the last song in the set, it was so hot & sweaty the plasters were coming unstuck and flapping around a bit. And my fingers were all sticky. I was just praying I could get through the song without becoming totally stuck to me E string! :D
So I'm going to have to rethink the plaster idea. :D

I get this, especially on those (sadly rare) three-gig weekends…

Tried the surgical spirit long ago… didn't work for me.

These days I carry Fast Fret, and if my plucking hand fingertips are beginning to play up I'll give the strings a generous swoosh right over the pickup. Reduces the amount of string grab and friction massively. Not my favourite feel on the strings, but it'll get me through and keep the soreness and blisters at bay.

Last resort is a pick and channelling Carol Kaye.

[size=4]Surgical spirit is very good for general hardening-up of fingertips, but less so if fingers are already sore and damaged...[/size]
I would suggest liquid plaster as a temporary solution (excuse the pun).

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1192772/Five-best--liquid-plasters.html"]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1192772/Five-best--liquid-plasters.html[/url]

Or use a pick (if possible) and let the fingers recover.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405853989' post='2505752']
[size=4]Surgical spirit is very good for general hardening-up of fingertips, but less so if fingers are already sore and damaged...[/size]
[/quote]
I certainly agree it's better to use the surgical spirit regularly and in advance of any blistering but in my experience it's also the most effective treatment of actual blisters. However, also be prepared to play with a pick if necessary.

I found the answer to this, particularly when I was learning to do long double bass gigs, is to turn the amp up and play with a much lighter touch. The fatigue in both hands is greatly reduced and I prefer the tone.

Edited by PTB

I sometimes get sore fingers on my plucking hand especially if it's been a while since the last gig, I just don't dig in as much during rehearsals or when practising at home. When I feel the soreness begin I play with a pick more especially on the 'four on the floor' 8th note songs. After the gig I try to make sure I keep playing more than usual at home to encourage the skin to harden and thicken (providing it's not still really sore of course).

Gets painful for me sometimes as well, I try not to play for a day or 2 then if I can.
I always think of Flea's blister and think I'm just being a pussy when I complain, [url="http://forums.redhotchilipeppers.com/index.php?topic=49513.0"]http://forums.redhotchilipeppers.com/index.php?topic=49513.0[/url]

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1405853907' post='2505751']
Get a big fan and point it at yourself so you don't get hot and sweaty.
[/quote]

I'd rather have a couple of small petite fans than one large one, though they don't always cool me down :)

I normally only get this if I've not been playing as much as usual, and I do a lot of playing over a short period. eg long rehearsal thursday, gig friday, 2 gigs saturday kinda thing.

I just try to be aware of it becoming a bit uncomfortable, and use a pick whenever I can BEFORE it becomes a necessity.

I can see a few more essential items being added to the gig bag...liquid plaster, surgical spirit, fast fret....but I find it very hard to play with any feeling with a pick. And yes, I do tend to dig in hard live, it's the only way I can get the speed up for some of our songs...and I defy anyone not to dig in on White Rabbit when it returns to the main riff after the second chorus, or to take it easy on the play out of Move Over!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1405857458' post='2505802']

As for general use, I think consistant practice should be hard enough to keep the calluses good.
[/quote]

Had perfectly good calluses for years, but they got a bit filed down by the strings on friday night.

I've been using superglue for years.
I put it on the tips of the left hand fingers first, and when it's dry (!) do the right thumb (tip and cuticle need it most), then 1st, 2ned and 3rd finger tips.
Means I can play even if the fingers are already blistered; after all, super glue is often used in medicine to bind wounds together!
Within a day or 2 it all comes off as cyano-acrylate is water-soluble.
And I've only stuck my fingers together once...

A while back I was in a heavy metal band with two guitarists locked in a volume war and so I ended up hitting the strings as hard as possible (i thought) as the amp just couldn't get loud enough (hartke 3500). I didn't end up with calluses though, but from some of the other replies on this thread it seems that this is expected, so am i right in thinking that using a high enough volume to allow for a mostly light, soft touch generally regarded as good technique? Or is it possible either my 'hard as possible' isn't really very hard or that my skin is related to rhinoceros hide?

[quote name='r16ktx' timestamp='1405859881' post='2505855']
...am i right in thinking that using a high enough volume to allow for a mostly light, soft touch generally regarded as good technique?
[/quote]

Can be - horses for courses, I think. Some music definitely benefits from a full-on technique, it's part of the vibe. And during the chaos of a gig it's likely you will dig in harder than you ever do at rehearsal - as is consistent with the excitement of a live performance. Unless you're a cynic who has done about five thousand gigs, or you're playing Jazz, or something... :)

Edited by discreet