Why become a member? ×

Yet Another Grit Question...

discreet

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1405772931' post='2505128']
That really keeps the original tone of the bass, why haven`t we heard about these pedals before? So many really colour the tone, these seem to be really clean in that respect.
[/quote]

That's what has put me off dedicated 'distortion' pedals before. I like my tone the way it is, I just want something that's going to provide a bit of an edge at certain points... not 'fuzz' ...or even 'grit' really, more like... 'slightly compressed with extra detail and sustain with a bit of warm break-up.'

Hard to explain. I like the way my Fusion does it - you can have two channels set up, one with extra gain to push the valves - and toggle between them with the supplied footswitch. This sounds great, but I just don't like the way the switch actually changes between the channels, so...

Edited by discreet

My vote is for the BB preamp. Great versatile thing, drops the extreme lows and highs a bit, but I only notice when I play through my headphones where the low lows can be heard.
Can do the whole edge of breakup thing.

However personally not a lot of pedals maintain the sound of the original bass signal, so I always have a clean loop in somewhere.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405773414' post='2505131']

That's what has put me off dedicated 'distortion' pedals before. I like my tone the way it is, I just want something that's going to provide a bit of an edge at certain points... not 'fuzz' ...or even 'grit' really, more like... 'slightly compressed with extra detail and sustain with a bit of warm break-up.'

Hard to explain. I like the way my Fusion does it - you can have two channels set up, one with extra gain to push the valves - and toggle between them with the supplied footswitch. This sounds great, but I just don't like the way the switch actually changes between the channels, so...
[/quote]

I don't think you'll really know what you want until you've got it.
By nature drives compress but I would try a a really squashed compressor that's been turned up a bit to much to clip the fusions input, and see how that goes.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1405775756' post='2505148']
My vote is for the BB preamp.
[/quote]

The Xotic..? Yes, I looked at that... seems very good. As usual I'm undecided. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1405775842' post='2505149']
I don't think you'll really know what you want until you've got it. By nature drives compress but I would try a a really squashed compressor that's been turned up a bit to much to clip the fusions input, and see how that goes.
[/quote]

Very true. I bought a Boosta Grande for the purposes of pushing the preamp valves, and it does work well in that regard... but I really like how that's turned out and want to use it as a core sound... :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size][size=4] So now I need another pedal to push the Fusion a bit more at certain points... I'm hoping I don't end up with a bloody great pedalboard like so many others have... I just can't afford to get FX GAS on top of everything else... :blink:[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405773414' post='2505131']
...I like the way my Fusion does it - you can have two channels set up, one with extra gain to push the valves - and toggle between them with the supplied footswitch. This sounds great, but I just don't like the way the switch actually changes between the channels, so...
[/quote]

What happens is the footswitch makes an audible 'click' that can be heard through the amp when switching between channels. Is there anything that can be done about this, or is there an aftermarket footswitch that is silent? Or is it a fault? Seems to me to be a fairly basic design flaw if they're all like this. Anyone else have this problem..?

If I could get this sorted then I probably wouldn't need to buy FX and have the Fusion do everything I need it to.
Which would be a far more elegant solution, obviously.

Here you go, nice little basic shootout with some of my fave low-med gain pedals.
Pass it round :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton"]https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton/sets/bass-overdrive-shootout[/url]

Si

Mark, ive said it already but try a DarkGlass out (mine if you want). Ive found so many new tones in my VMTD that its made me a "dirt" convert overnight.

[url="http://www.darkglass.com/products/microtubes-vintage/"]http://www.darkglass...otubes-vintage/[/url]

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1406122557' post='2508531']
...it's made me a "dirt" convert overnight...
[/quote]

That statement could be taken in a number of ways... :lol:

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1406122557' post='2508531']
...try a DarkGlass out (mine if you want).
[/quote]

Thanks very much for the offer... are you not constantly using yours, though? Where are you?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1406038117' post='2507742']
Here you go, nice little basic shootout with some of my fave low-med gain pedals.
Pass it round :) [url="https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton"]https://soundcloud.com/simonpoulton/sets/bass-overdrive-shootout[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for this Si, had a listen... very much liking the Beta. Nice natural sound, not too much fizz or drama. :)

With my above tests, I came to a couple of conclusions:
I way prefer the Dark Driving in high gain, it does what it says on the tin....dark drive :).
With the Beta & BB, I think they work best in low gain
The Demon, for me, shines in high gain.

It should also be mentioned, that they all gain a certain something when put through a loud cab in a big room.....not stuck direct into Logic :)

I had a Darkglass B7K, found it a bit too fizzy for my liking. Sounded too 'Fizz blended with Bass' as opposed to Bass drive/distortion. Having said that, people get some great results from them, just wasn't for me.

Si

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406123656' post='2508542']
That statement could be taken in a number of ways... :lol:[/quote]

Not really, at least not to those that know me ;-)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1406123656' post='2508542']Thanks very much for the offer... are you not constantly using yours, though? Where are you?[/quote]

Well, the plan is when the new amp arrives (again) ill not need it, so i dont plan on using it for at least a few gigs. Ill probably use it next on the 1st -2nd Aug and then hopefully not for a while (or ever).
Im in central London but can post it to you.

Si. My DG is a Vintage Tubes Deluxe. I didn't want to get a fuzz box as such, just something to warm my Markbass amp up, and this it does really well. It can do proper fuzz/OD but its not as wild as the BK's apparently. Its really added something to my tone, without sounding obviously like a OD effect.
The Era knob really makes a difference, and i just love how this works with the levels knobs. Its very easy to get different tones out of this box without the overall level changing. I can go from clean to really dirty without any real volume increase. I could never do this with my BDDI.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1406137876' post='2508707']
The beta sounds interesting but I'll wait for the final release ;-).
[/quote]

Har, har. I'd love to try out your DG if you can be bothered to post. I'll cover your costs, obviously. PM Sent. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405704086' post='2504527']
£105 including shipping from Prymaxe, £147 including shipping from Thomann. Prymaxe will take quite a bit longer, I imagine.
Anyone had anything from Prymaxe? How long did it take to arrive?
[/quote]

I ordered a Beta from Prymaxe on Saturday and it arrived today! The cost was £94 including shipping (with the TONE15 promotion code) so its currently a significant saving on UK retail prices and Thomann. Tried it tonight at home and it sounds good but I'll not be able to judge it properly until I've gigged with it at volume. Next gig is Saturday so I'm looking forward to giving it a proper run out then. B)

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1406835741' post='2515225']
I ordered a Beta from Prymaxe on Saturday and it arrived today! The cost was £94 including shipping... ...so its currently a significant saving on UK retail prices and Thomann. Tried it tonight at home and it sounds good but I'll not be able to judge it properly until I've gigged with it at volume. Next gig is Saturday so I'm looking forward to giving it a proper run out then. B)
[/quote]

Excellent. Would be very interested to know what you think of it.

I wasn't a massive fan of the Beta, too much bass boost and treble roll off... Might work with some setups really well but my bass and amp already lean in that direction (P or BB into a Terror Bass) and the cumulative effect was a bit too dark. Plus the actual overdrive at low gain sounded a bit fizzy and artificial compared to the SFT and Darkglass Vintage.

Take that with a pinch of salt though as plenty of people love it, including the guy who bought mine!

• 4 weeks later...

I've used the Beta on three gigs now but with very limited time during the sound check to go out front to listen to it in the overall mix. What I've found is:

1. I've tended to use it for a few numbers only and with a low gain setting.
2. It sounds good however I'll need to play around with the settings and use it more to convince myself to use it more than occasionally. This is more due to my general preference for a very clean sound rather than a negative comment about the Beta.
3. The build quality is very good and the pedal is simple to use.

In summary, I think the pedal will do want I want it for so I'll be keeping it. B)

• 3 months later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405680074' post='2504253']
[b]Yet Another Grit Question...[/b]

I bought a Boosta Grande with the intention of using it to push the preamp valves in my Fusion for when I need a little lift... you know what I mean... \m/ \m/ ...However, I've found that I like what the Boosta does so much that I want it 'always on'... :rolleyes:

Now I'm back to square one, basically. So I ask the Basschat FX massive... what's a good, natural-sounding pedal that won't lose me any top or bottom and that will give me a bit of break-up when I want it? Preferably one that will keep most of my original tone completely intact and add something rather than subtract or change anything.

It can be quite big and bold too - I'm in a rock band, a three-piece plus vocal. I've read all the countless SansAmp/Tech-21/VT Bass/BDI-21 threads over the years (and have owned a VT Bass, a DHA VT1 and still have a BDI-21) and am looking for something a little bit different... I'm not really looking for the 'Ampeg Sound'.

Well I am, but only from an SVT CL or a V4B, but that's another story...

I thank you! :)
[/quote]

I'd recommend the Musiciansounddesign Silverstone. It can do that whilst having quite a big range with the three pots and the single dispatch it has.
The other is the Barbershop from fairfield circuitry. This one is more subtle with a much narrower range -less versatile but good.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1405704086' post='2504527']
£105 including shipping from Prymaxe, £147 including shipping from Thomann. Prymaxe will take quite a bit longer, I imagine.
Anyone had anything from Prymaxe? How long did it take to arrive?
[/quote]
I ordered from primaxe a couple times. Did not take a lot longer than ordering from a local vendor.