Why become a member? ×

Fender Flats

njr911

Having used a couple of sets of Lakland flats I much prefer the feel and tone of Fender strings. Unfortunately while I've been away Fender seem to have stopped making 45-105 gauge.

I now need to choose 50-105 or 45-100 ? Whice will I notice least ?

Alternatively, who makes Fenders strings? Maybe they still do the 45-105.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1405544797' post='2502973']
Having used a couple of sets of Lakland flats I much prefer the feel and tone of Fender strings. Unfortunately while I've been away Fender seem to have stopped making 45-105 gauge.

I now need to choose 50-105 or 45-100 ? Whice will I notice least ?

Alternatively, who makes Fenders strings? Maybe they still do the 45-105.
[/quote]

I feel your pain as I loved the CL set too.
I'd go for the 100-45 set as the A,D and G are the same with only the E being a tad lighter so doubt you'd notice too much difference (I've used the 100-40 set and never found the E lacking)
The 105-55 set has much heavier A, D and G so you'd notice the difference there more I expect.

Also disappointed at the loss of the CL

La Bella T60FL are a similar gauge 104, 82, 60, 43 but at least twice the price!

Status Hot wires were rated in a previous thread and are similar in price but are either 100, 80, 60, 40 or 105, 85, 65, 45

I am also frustrated that Fender stopped the 45-105 CL set. Through experimentation, I found that an Ernie Ball 105 has a similar tone and feel when my Fender 105 finally thumped out. I was so frustrated I gave up on all of them and switched to La Bella black tapewounds, regular gauge. I had to adjust my nut slots and go with EMG actives to eliminate noise (the black tape prevented the strings from making the metal-to-metal contact necessary to properly ground the strings to the bridge plate to kill hum, noise and buzz; EMG actives don't utilize bridge grounding). But it was so worth it!

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1406299749' post='2510377']
bought the 50-100 and the 45-100. 45-100 haven't turned up so looks like the 50's win for my gig this weekend.
[/quote]

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Disclaimer: The disappointment level of flats can go down as well as up. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1406307629' post='2510507']
I thought flats were supposed to last a lot of years per set!

How long did yours last?
[/quote]

One lost the silk after a swap to a different bass so would no longer stay stable. The replacement set is almost new but I dust don't enjoy the feel, almost set's my teeth on edge for some reason, They are coming off and going on Sales Corner this week!