Why become a member? ×

212s v 210s

silverfoxnik

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='52373' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:13 PM']According to Pete Murray over on TB the 1x12 cab has a better low end than the 1x15 MB cabs in his opinion.
Personally i dont like the sound of any of the one driver MB cabs (or the 210P). but thats just me.
I can say though that i get quite a nice chest thumping sound with my 1210 cab. Not really deep low's but enough to feel it.[/quote]

How do you compare your: Epifani UL212 and Epifani UL115 ?

---
A 212 cab
"It Sounds great at low volumes, but I play in a metal band and it just doesn't have enough low end. I'm playing against two 150 watt guitars, and insane drummer and screamer. It just didn't cut it for me. It does sound good, if you play in a rock or jazz band, this cab is perfect for you, but if your looking for some real low end this isn't your choice. It has great highs and mids but it's just missing that big bassy bottom sound."

A 212 Combo
"Sound Quality : 6
Here is where I have a problem with this amp. This amp does not put out the kind of sound that hits you in the chest. It is very loud and tight and cuts through the mix, but it leaves you wanting more lows. I just could not get the low end that I wanted. I tried various settings by cranking the sub bass and bass however that produced more a boomy sound in the room I was in. I grew tired of the sound very quickly.
With that being said, if you like a sound that has more of a mid range growling sound this amp may be just what you're looking for. I have used Carvin's R1000 and their 4x10 cabinet and really found that sound to be more pleasing than this amp. I play a Carvin LB75 five string and it seemed to handle the low B pretty good. There was no breaking up that I could tell. As you can tell I have been a Carvin fan.
My suggestion to Carvin would be to develop a BRX 15" combo. Maybe that would produce more round fuller lows and still have all of the great features found in this combo. "

However, the Markbass 121H combo, the HUGHES & KETTNER QC412 and the GK Neo700/112 all get excellent reviews. The first two citing 'warmth'.

The problem with the HK is that I don't think they do a 12 extension.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='52376' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:18 PM']How do you compare your: Epifani UL212 and Epifani UL115 ?[/quote]

I love the UL115 but wish it was 4ohms. I like the UL212 but it doesn't seem as full and open as the UL115. with the UL115 i find i can do all sorts of tones with it, its very full range sounding. with the UL212 it seems a bit (lot) low mid heavy and while its louder and cuts through better i feel there is some deepness missing that the UL115 has. Because i dont drive its dificult of me to get gear around other than what i leave with my drummer. If it was easier i would use my UL115 most fo the time but i cant store both at his house. I did have the UL115 up for sale but after a few hiccups i have decided to keep it. Its the best sounding cab i have owned.
I really wish i had gone for a 410 now instead of the UL212. I liked the idea of getting a slightly bigger, 4 ohms cab but didnt want/like 10's so the UL212 seemed ideal. Now im thinking its not. The UL212 will be gone by this time next year. Shame considering all i went through but its sound just isn't for me
Live and learn eh?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='52379' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:27 PM']I love the UL115 but wish it was 4ohms. I like the UL212 but it doesn't seem as full and open as the UL115. with the UL115 i find i can do all sorts of tones with it, its very full range sounding. with the UL212 it seems a bit (lot) low mid heavy and while its louder and cuts through better i feel there is some deepness missing that the UL115 has. Because i dont drive its dificult of me to get gear around other than what i leave with my drummer. If it was easier i would use my UL115 most fo the time but i cant store both at his house. I did have the UL115 up for sale but after a few hiccups i have decided to keep it. Its the best sounding cab i have owned.
I really wish i had gone for a 410 now instead of the UL212. I liked the idea of getting a slightly bigger, 4 ohms cab but didnt want/like 10's so the UL212 seemed ideal. Now im thinking its not. The UL212 will be gone by this time next year. Shame considering all i went through but its sound just isn't for me
Live and learn eh?[/quote]

Cheers, that's really interesting. 12s are starting to sound a bit of a marmite cab. I've also seen them more expensive than there 410 (212) and 115 (112) equivalent.

deepness/low end presence seems to often be cited as missing. Perhaps more speakers is the answer as the surface area with 410s is often described as being very full in a nice cab - but this is getting expensive. Perhaps a 15 or 410 is a better option but it will be a sacrifice in tone in my opinion.

I'm starting to think a Marshall VBA400 and matching 412 would be an awesome rig but unnecessarily loud for pub gigs. :) Out of fashion maneuverability wise too.

[quote name='paul, the' post='52388' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:43 PM']Cheers, that's really interesting. 12s are starting to sound a bit of a marmite cab. I've also seen them more expensive than there 410 (212) and 115 (112) equivalent.

deepness/low end presence seems to often be cited as missing. Perhaps more speakers is the answer as the surface area with 410s is often described as being very full in a nice cab - but this is getting expensive. Perhaps a 15 or 410 is a better option but it will be a sacrifice in tone in my opinion.
I'm starting to think a Marshall VBA400 and matching 412 would be an awesome rig but unnecessarily loud for pub gigs. :) Out of fashion maneuverability wise too.[/quote]

Well i do feel the UL115 doesnt sound like what you would think a 1x15 sounds like yet still has the low end of a 1x15. It can also get very bright (as can all the UL's with tweeters i guess). Im thinking maybe i can get a UL210 to go with it. Now that would be great (on paper anyway) and i would get the full 500watts from my head.
I looked in to getting a UL410 and as you say, its a lot of money. Thinking about a Schroeder 410L now but would still have to get rid of the UL212 first.

If ever your in London your welcome to try the UL115 (but its not for sale). I even have a MAG 1x15 at work with the UL and what a difference in tone.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='52394' date='Aug 29 2007, 03:56 PM']Well i do feel the UL115 doesnt sound like what you would think a 1x15 sounds like yet still has the low end of a 1x15. It can also get very bright (as can all the UL's with tweeters i guess). Im thinking maybe i can get a UL210 to go with it. Now that would be great (on paper anyway) and i would get the full 500watts from my head.
I looked in to getting a UL410 and as you say, its a lot of money. Thinking about a Schroeder 410L now but would still have to get rid of the UL212 first.

If ever your in London your welcome to try the UL115 (but its not for sale). I even have a MAG 1x15 at work with the UL and what a difference in tone.[/quote]

Cheers Dave, I almost went to London yesterday. It sounds like that UL115 is truly an exceptional cab.

Have you thought about a lower impedance Schroeder 212 to get a setup like machinehead?

--

Check this out, STOLEN FROM TALKBASS:

2xAguilar DB112

I'm sold. And drooling.

[quote name='paul, the' post='52412' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:32 PM']Cheers Dave, I almost went to London yesterday. It sounds like that UL115 is truly an exceptional cab.

Have you thought about a lower impedance Schroeder 212 to get a setup like machinehead?[/quote]

Yes i have thought about a 1212L. In fact i have just emailed Jorg about the cost of a Rhino covered one. Im just a bit put off getting a 212 cab again if i dont like the one i have. And would prefer a slightly bigger cab so i dont sound too compressed. Im used to the 1210 now but want something a bit more open sounding but still with a good low end. Im also chasing a price on a 21012L but im not sure about that cab.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='52414' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:40 PM']Yes i have thought about a 1212L. In fact i have just emailed Jorg about the cost of a Rhino covered one. Im just a bit put off getting a 212 cab again if i dont like the one i have. And would prefer a slightly bigger cab so i dont sound too compressed. Im used to the 1210 now but want something a bit more open sounding but still with a good low end. Im also chasing a price on a 21012L but im not sure about that cab.[/quote]

Yes, of course. You ought to get some tasty 10s to go with the lush 15. Something big and diagonally set.

[quote name='paul, the' post='52419' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:47 PM']Yes, of course. You ought to get some tasty 10s to go with the lush 15. Something big and diagonally set.[/quote]

Now thats the problem I wouldn't fit a diagonally set 210 in the car with the UL115.
Plus my drummer wouldnt be too happy having to cart two fo my cabs up to his flat after each gig ;-)