Why become a member? ×

The best combo for under £1,000?

Al Krow

So its been 3 years since I originally put this question to the wicked and wise on BC:

I appreciate that a combo is not everyone's cup of tea, but in terms of "plug and play" convenience when doing smaller gigs and getting a better price in comparison to buying separates, they're hard to beat as a concept.

For me a great combo delivers:

• Great sound (of course)
  • Ability to cut through the mix, so at least 300w and a minimum of 1x12 or 2x10 speakers [some really interesting debate as to whether this level of power and speaker size is needed or not - see #60 to #62 below]
  • Value for money - with a price cap of £1k new
  • Portability - ideally weighs less than 50lbs

NOV 2017 UPDATE of previous 2014 conclusions

1= Eich BC112 ProCombo Pro 500W 1x12 £999 31 lbs
Eich is the successor to the much loved Tecamp Puma and this BC112 Pro combines an amazing combination of power, portabilty and sound with its high quality Eich (Tecamp) cab which is very highly rated particularly in its 2x12 form. Just manages to slip in under the £1k limit!

1= Fender Rumble 500 350W (8ohm) / 500W (4ohm) 2x10 £450 37 lbs best value for money 

3 MarkBass Alain Caron121Lite ("AC") 500W 1x12 £989 37 lbs
Formerly 1= in 2014 (and my current combo). The latest model now has an additional 300w into horn. This really also does seem to deliver a great combination of power, portability and sound. Voicing of the cab and EQ of amp could both be improved a touch and hence why it has been pipped by the Eich.

Previously #1 (Nov 2014)
AER Amp One  200W 1x10 £950 (now £1,349) 30 lbs
No longer < £1k. Starting to feel like 'old tech'. AER haven't really updated their range for a decade and a number of BCers who have owned this combo have moved it on because of a lack of power for anything but smaller gigs with folk often preferring / swapping to the Markbass CMD121p + extension cab for a smaller outlay whilst still enjoying great portability and quality. The AER is obviously a great amp, but even if it was still < £1k, it doesn't justify being in the top 3 IMHO in 2017.

Edited by Al Krow

The Orange is supposedly exctly the same as a separate OTB500 head and SP212 cab, which is what I have.

Contrary to many reports, I have no problems getting a cleansound at volume - though mine is a later one with JJ valves. Don't how much difference that makes.

I love my rig, but it is a bit pricey.
It's very small, but also deceptively heavy due to being pretty much the size of a 1x12, but having 2x12s. I won't go into to the pros and cons of isobaric cabs here (it's old technology, not a game changer at all, but I'm happy with the cab), but I suggest you think of it as a 1x12 rather than 2x12 (though it goes deeper than 1x12). Don't be put by that though, it's bloody loud!

Incidentally, I initially went for the combo, but issues with some speaker buzz. Orange replaced with the separates stating that there was a problemwith the combo line. This was a good few years ago now, so I assume all is well.

I suppose it isn't a fantastically versatile rig (lack of tweeter, simple EQ), but I like what it does. I'd be happy playing most styles on it.

Edited by Ramirez

Hi stingrayPete I do agree there are some amazing separates out there. But a great 500W head and separate high quality 2x12 cab for £600 all in? I'd challenge anyone to find me high quality separates at that price that could go head to head with the GK or the Fender combos? (And plenty of bass chat comparing different amp heads and cabs, so I thought it would be great to hear a bit more about folk's thoughts on the combo options).

Thanks Ramirez - good to hear a contrary view about the Orange cleansound issue...

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1405190402' post='2499585']
Thanks Ramirez - good to hear a contrary view about the Orange cleansound issue...
[/quote]

No probs. I also did this if it's of any interest: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/238590-orange-bass-stuff-comparison-video/

It's not very thorough (and not particularly flattering to the Jazz bass sample as it was EQd for the P - I'd boost the mids and cut the bass on the Jazz probably)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1405190402' post='2499585']
Hi stingrayPete I do agree there are some amazing separates out there. But a great 500W head and separate high quality 2x12 cab for £600 all in? I'd challenge anyone to find me high quality separates at that price that could go head to head with the GK or the Fender combos? (And plenty of bass chat comparing different amp heads and cabs, so I thought it would be great to hear a bit more about folk's thoughts on the combo options).

[/quote]
Well you said £1000 not £600 and the orange is £900.

I have a genz 'combo' 1x12 and shuttle 6.0 head, the head is removable though, in fact I purchased it as a head and a neox 2x12t which is a proper gigging cab and head, I purchased the cab off here a few years later to make it back into a combo, it would see off a fender rumble no problem on its own or like the markbass put another 1x12 under it for a full on 2x12 600 watt, the advantage being im not tied to the head but I can carry it in one go, it even has a fold out tilting foot built in,weights nothing. :)

Being a Markbass fan I`d recommend the 102P. I gig with the CMD121P and NY121 (so 2x12) and there is so much volume and size of sound available. I`ve never had to go past 4 on volume, and have gigged just the combo on its own as well, agian never needing to go past 4. The extra cab doesn`t really make much difference in power settings, just makes the whole sound bigger. I`ve seen plenty of bands use just the CMD102P - that was where I got my love of Markbass gear, through seeing/hearing bassists get great sounds from such a small combo.

That said, the band I`ve just gigged with had an Orange Terror plus one of the SP212s (same rig as Ramirez) and it was a cracking sound. I don`t know about cutting through the mix as the bassist was using it as a traditional rock, solid type sound, underpinning everything. And very good at that it was. For cutting through or a more flexible eq a pedal might be needed.

Hi
I'm a combo man and I'll give you a quick rundown on my experience for what it's worth.
-If you have a budget of £1000 I would certainly take a look at the AER Amp one (which is my current rig). It is a superb little amp which really does surprise due to its rather compact appearance. I play in a funk band with a pretty loud drummer with my little amp one on half volume, and it cuts through beautifully, I also have a powered sub which I can stack it on if I'm playing a larger venue with no PA and require some more uuummmph, but this gives me lots of flexibility. It has a single 10inch speaker at 200 analogue watts, but don't be fooled this will surprise you, check out the bass whisperer review on YouTube and the reviews on line.
- I have owned mesa boogie walkabout 12 (12 inch speaker 300 watt, great all rounder but bigger and heavier than AER)
- SWR Redhead (2x10 speakers 240watt, probably the best sounding amp I ever played through, but needs more power, super redhead would probably be better, but these are heavy), I don't think this was any louder than my amp one.
- Peavey Bam (2x10, 300 watt, great sound, great on board effects, cheap and very very very loud, but weighs an absolute ton which is the only reason I sold mine)
- Mark bass CMD 102p 2x10, 300 watt, which I recently sold here on basschat, I agree with Loz that this is an excellent amp which is very loud and light, but I always thought it just sounded a little sterile, and I wanted something even lighter and more portable/flexible. Because I'm lazy!
Check out the AER amp one.........it may not be for you, but it may be the one amp to rule them all..!!!

Edited by chrisanthony1211

Having the very MarkBass combo you're looking at, try one. They're not shy on lows & quite possibly the loudest of the combos (those B&C drivers have a lot of travel).
Some folk find them a bit too clean sounding, but a sansamp or similar can easily change that.
I tried dozens of rigs before getting mine.

Hi chrisanthony, must admit I'd not come across the AER amp one before. I think this sneaks in at below £1k...You'll have seen that the MarkBass Combo is (rightly) getting support, so I'm kinda intrigued that you seem to prefer the AER to both the MarkBass and also the MesaBoogie Walkabout? (I'm a huge MesaBoogie fan btw, but the Walkabout is way above £1k so didn't make the short list). Do you have any clips of you using the AER with your band?

Re the Markbass sterile/clean - yes I`ll happily say that on hteir own they do sound like this, a bit uninspiring tbh, but it`s in the mix that they really shine, having a very warm sound once loud and with the band. I use a Tech21 VT DI with mine for a bit of grit but that`s specifically for the band I`m in, before I had a very warm old-school sound, using a Precision with nickel rounds.

The TecAmp Puma 112? - The new model seems to be retailing at £1149 on GAK, although Thomann have the Classic on for sale at under £800. Has the latter been discontinued, and do you know why the hike in price on the new model (which takes it above £1k...)?? Be interested to hear why you think the TecAmp wins over the MarkBass?

I've also heard good this about the techamp but never tried one, unfortunately I don't have any clips of me using the Amp one but I have a gig end of this month when I shall get some. When I decided to sell my markbass I was initially only ever interested in the mesa walkabout as I had one before my daughter was born which I loved, unfortunately young child meant no band so I sold it. It was after I saw the bass whisperer review that I seriously considered the amp one. I love the fact that if I'm playing at rehearsal or a medium venue I can rock up with guitar in one hand and amp in the other in one trip! And anywhere bigger I stack it on my powered sub or just go through the PA, but this is very very loud for a 200watt 10 inch combo! If you type in amp one in the search on here you can read a few reviews made by fellow basschatters!
I did like my markbass CMD 102p, and it does sit in the mix well, it is an excellent amp, but if you want a top amp, which can be carried in one hand which sounds great, the amp one is definitely worth considering, but they are like rocking horse poo!
If weight is not an issue for you ! And you just wasn't a great sound I still think that one of the best sounding amps is the SWR super redhead.
There are loads of great combos out there at the price range your looking at, light good sounding and loud, I think much of it is down to personal preference.

Below is a link to bass whisperer review, and yes I do prefer it to my old walkabout! The only thing I would consider changing for is an AER amp three which is 2x8. 200watt
Good look in your search for combo heaven.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/223359-bass-whisperer-aer-amp-onetwothree-reviews/

Edited by chrisanthony1211

Hi chrisanthony - look forward to hearing your band (where are you playing?)! I've checked Ed Friedland's review and I get the point about this being an analogue head (and not a class D digital) and hence some of the differences in power output "per watt" and clarity etc. Interested that your preference is for AER amp three 2x8 and not for amp two (240W and 12+4 inch speakers)? The latter seems ideal to me, but I suspect is going to be premium priced? I see that Thomann are doing amp one for £950, how much are amps two and three? Do you know which stores (around London best for me) stock these babies, so that I could try them out? Having owned both, are you really saying this combo is as good as / better than the Mesa Walkabout?!

LukeFRC - the quality issue from the Ashdown 420 was from a mate of mine who has just set up a new rehearsal studio as a commercial venture. He bought 3 Ashdown 420s and ALL THREE had problems within a couple of months of acquiring. Ugh!! He has since retuned them all and received a full refund from the retailer and replaced with some second hand gear (a Peavey 450 Tour Head and cab and TC BG 250 model 1) which are all working fine...Real shame 'cos Ashdown, as a British manufacturer, would be one that it would be great to support and this combo (apart from its weight!) looks and sounds good. So I'm hoping that this was just an unlucky batch and Ashdown have sorted out the issue, but for all three to go wrong is kinda worrying..

Hi, just had a quick look on google and the bass gallery in London sell the amp one if you want to give it a try. The UK distributer is westside distribution in Glasgow so a little out out of your way! The only reason I'd fancy the amp three is that I can imagine that those 8 inch speakers give you a really tight sound and like most people I always want what I haven't got!
To answer your question regarding whether it is better than the walkabout, I was recently offered a trade on my amp one with a walkabout here on basschat, and although it took some serious thought I stuck with the AER. I don't like saying it is better than the mesa because the mesa is great, but I believe that the amp one is no less great!
We're playing at the littleborough festival 25th - 27th July, get ready for funk....

Cheers. Well that's given me another excuse to get up to the bass gallery, although it seems that the amp one is only available as a special order item :( Good luck with the festival and I'm looking forward to the YouTube clip of you guys playing live!

The MarkBass Alain Caron combo is pretty special. Puts out the full 500w into 12" and then has another 100w in tap for the horn.

This thing goes very loud indeed!

It's usually priced at £1,149 new but you might someone who'll deal on the price a little.

I use a Tecamp (Black Jag) head with an older TechSoundsystems 2x12 cab and it sounds fantastic (to my ears). In the past I've used some Markbass stuff and always found it a bit bland I suppose. Not knocking their stuff at all because it obviously works for some. I think there's a head to head between a MB and a Tecamp combo on Youtube somewhere which would be worth a look.

Ok guys - you are looking to do some serious damage to my bank balance!! The Mark Bass Alain Caron (£1,150) and the AER Amp Two is £1,400 (and giving me serious GAS!!!). BUUUT I should rule both out of court, together with the TEC Amp Puma 212 Combo (also £1,150), for being above £1k. Maybe there's another thread of best combo > £1k to be had :) ...

I am interested that the comments so far suggest my thinking a minimum 2x10 is required is not correct for a medium sized venue and that 1x12 (or even 1x10) is fine to cut through the mix?

Horizontalste - I think there may be some new Genz Coutours being sold by eBay US, but once you've paid shipping, import duty and VAT they won't be cheap, and dunno what you feel about importing from the US rather than via a UK / EU retailer?

1st off... I get why a 210 300w plus combo is attractive but I'd say that is basically where you start.
You are going to have to be quite careful pushing a 210 hard so be reasonable what you expect the
combo to be able to do. Forget a loud band or outside ( unless very quiet and background ) so you need
an amp that will go to 500 into 4 so you can add another cab...pref another 210 matched.
You may do well with a 1x15 underneath as well...

I think you can just about stand a chance at £1000 to get a 500w modular rig S/h
and for that you'd need a class D and lightish 210 and 210/115.

I'd be looking at GK seperates myself... or older SWR/Eden or even Trace ..but you'll sacrifice weight.

Or... just ignore virtually all this stuff..and go s/h Trace E and bash the crap out of it. It will probably take it
and save you £7-800 ..

Thanks JTUK. Seems like you are a GK (separates) fan?! Given that I initially ranked 1= GK MB212 - ii 500W as ticking all the boxes, would you agree? Is it really as good as some of the reviews suggest? Any downsides with GK and this combo as compared to the rest?