Why become a member? ×

de afwerking mk4-4++ - blablas has that building itch again

blablas

I'm beginning on a new build.... and build thread.

The plan is to make a (left handed) 12 string (4 + 2 octave strings per string), it will once again be based on my mk4 single cut body design.

Most of the CAD-work is already done, the tuner layout, the placement of the bridge and the fret positions.

I've also been working on the headstock shape.

Due to the huge amount of tuners I'm limited to working with straight lines, if I try a curve somewhere I run into position problems with them.
I'm really happy with the tuner layout so I'm afraid I'll have to live with these straight lines. :mellow:

The advantage of these straight edges is that the fabrication of the headstock will be a lot easier. :)

The details I'm pretty sure of:
- 12 strings, 4 + 2 octave strings per string.
- mk4 body design.
- Bolt-on neck.
- 35 inch scale.
- 24 frets, brass nut.
- Two dual action trussrods.
- Schaller 3D-8 bridge (which will need some modifications to be used for twelve strings, and while I'm working on it some other refinements as well).
- 4 Warwick bass tuners en 8 Boston guitar tuners.

Things I need think about in more detail:
- Pickups (two, probably dual coils).
- Electronics (active, but which one).
- Wood: body, top & back, neck & fingerboard.

For the top and back I will use one of these two sets:
Rosewood:

the first one will be the top.

Poplar burl:

I'm net yet sure which of these two will be the top.

Edited by blablas

I've been working on the body design, I think it's almost there, I'm not yet sure if I'm fully satisfied with the lower horn shape, for now I'm letting sink in this design and see if I want to do a little more reshaping.

Edited by blablas

Decided on the pickups and preamp I'm going to use and ordered them.
- Pickups: Delano SBC 5 HE/S (Set) - Yes, a 5 string set, on the 4 string set they have the sensing area is too small for the width of my string layout.
- Preamp: Noll TCM 3 PM - 3 band, parametric midrange.

I'm going with the rosewood for the top and back due to the simple fact that the poplar burl is to small for this body design.
No problem, the poplar burl will be use for a future mk5 build.

The first parts arrived today.

The rest of the parts I need are also ordered, once these and the wood for the back are in I can start making sawdust.

Edited by blablas

And today the top for the back arrived at my doorstep.

Decided on the wood I'm going to use for the body, khaya mahogany core, three ply birch accent layer between the mahogany and rosewood and of course the rosewood top and back.

Re-sawed the body core, straightened the edges of all the layers for gluing and very roughly sawed the body shape.

Re-sawed the top for the headstock from a leftover piece of the top.

Edited by blablas

Made a set of knobs now that I've got leftovers from to body to make these from.

The knobs for the stacked pots are not yet at the right height, I'll determine this size once the pots are mounted in the body.

Edited by blablas