Why become a member? ×

Best rock covers tunes from the last decade

Diablo

In the new band I've merged into we are up to 10 songs in the set as we get practice sessions in. We are stuck in the 70's to the 90's though, but when the subject of doing some songs from the last decade that have not been done to death (like Kings Of Leon) we drew a large blank. Taddy Porter was mentioned along with Doom & Gloom, but what else are people playing that goes down well in the pub scene? I'm really struggling with good up tempo rock/rock-blues tunes to put into the set.

Cheers,
Rich

We are doing Times Like These, I didn't mention it above as it is over 10 years old believe it or not!

I know a few Black Keys songs but never really put them in the pub band kind of music - are there any specific songs that are known to go down well?

Cheers,
Rich

You're not the only one, mate! It's slim pickings for good, uptempo ballsy rock in the 21st Century. I keep looking and listening. With a female lead, we do a few Pretty Reckless, and we quite like them. Biffy Clyro and Foo Fighters are among the few still rocking with gusto.

Depends who you want to attract?
We find we can cover a 60th birthday pretty well, down to maybe 25.. but 25 yrs old are not big pub music goers, IMO
as they'll be in clubs.
Killers and Black Keys would be good but if you have female vocals and keys, there are loads to choose from.
and those bands do tend to get the women showing up....but you'll need to change tack from rock blues to do it, IMO.

Could always do The Pretender, Walk or Arlandria by the Foos, it was Lonely Boy I was thinking of by The Black Keys.

We've started doing Mountains by Biffy and they've got a few more good ones.

There's always Muse: Uprising, Knights Of Cydonia etc

Cheers all, lots of stuff to review and think about there! I will report back in a week or two when I've had a go at convincing the other old farts that there is more to life than Undercover Agent and Sultans of Swing.

Fall Out Boy. "Dance Dance" and "Sugar We're Going Down" always go down well for us.
Pretender, Shoot the Runner also well received.
Cheating a little bit, but Five Finger Death Punch's version of Bad Company falls into your category!!!