Why become a member? ×

Icthus Guitar

Thunderbird

Hi guys my son wants to sell his guitar and I have no idea what it is worth I have done some research on the net and have not really come up with anything apart that it may of been made in west Germany or Japan which really does not help much and I dont see any form of serial number on it, It sounds really good I bought it for my boy about 5 years ago and the guy I bought it from did not know much about it either :( so I was kind of hoping some of you guys may know some thing about it and a ball park value it is worth obviously I would like to get as much as I can for my boy he is only 11 and is on a fund raising mission already. I will be advertising this for sale in the BC market place when I hopefully know more about it thanks in advance

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/dm8f9d.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/mujrbm.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/1zvtzyb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i62.tinypic.com/1zdssnn.jpg[/IMG]

I think that may well be a home made jobby.

The peghead decal looks like those little waterslide letters you get in packs from craftshops, the little number 1 as well maybe indicates this was the first one he did or the first of a planned run?

Nice hardware certainly, the string angles from the nut to the heads make me think home made, as well as the machine head angles, they have not all been fitted straight. Only and aesthetic issue but lends more weight to the idea it is a home made one.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1404833790' post='2496205']
I think that may well be a home made jobby.

The peghead decal looks like those little waterslide letters you get in packs from craftshops, the little number 1 as well maybe indicates this was the first one he did or the first of a planned run?

Nice hardware certainly, the string angles from the nut to the heads make me think home made, as well as the machine head angles, they have not all been fitted straight. Only and aesthetic issue but lends more weight to the idea it is a home made one.
[/quote] Ah the strings look at that angle because they have been put on the wrong way but yes does have some quality hardware on it

It's almost certainly home made.... might be worth popping the neck to see if either it or the body are branded.

Hardware is very nice, but suffers from slightly dodgy placement... the humbucker is slightly misaligned as is are the machine heads. The pickups I remember from the back pages of Making Music magazine from the early 1990s... I think they're Kent Armstrong Rainbow pickups.

Might be worth parting out?

To be honest, as it is, I wouldn't expect a lot from it. Maybe £80 to £100? Possibly less... there's not a huge demand for home made guitars, no matter how nice the hardware is.

The machine heads are Schaller M6s, I think, which go for something like £75 new (gold)... The bridge again is about £75 new... You might be able to get £80 in total from them. The pickups... I don't think I've ever seen second hand ones for sale... they're Kent Armstrong so should have some value. They were sold by WD music originally and I don't remember them being particularly expensive at the time.

The finish on the body suggests it might have been bought off the shelf... are there any markings on it? In the neck pocket?

I reckon it was probably assembled in the UK, given the pickups.

Cheers guys not really sure what to put it up for now and I am a bit reluctant to break it as it is such a nice sounding guitar (not that I can play it) to be honest I have not taken the neck off to check for markings, I think I will leave the choice of what to do with my boy as it is his guitar :)

Edited by Thunderbird

• 4 months later...