Why become a member? ×

A Very Generous Act.

A bloke at work who I hardly know has given me a bass for free. He said he has given up the bass in favour of a six string lead guitar and had heard I play a bit of bass so he brought it in and gave it to me :). It has a lovely growly tone and even my pick playing sounds good on it.

Random acts of kindness wonderful arent they?

That's great when that happens . I gave an old Trace head to a young kid starting up who I knew , and also other bits and pieces away . It's just nice to do it if you can . I remember being helped out when I first started , and I've never forgotten it . I vowed to do the same , and I have - tuners , stands , books , videos , and the like . Not much , but just stuff lying around . I think the person giving gets almost as much as the person receiving , and if I'm anything to go by , by doing this , you're almost ensuring that that person does the same further on down the line .

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1404680793' post='2494715']
A bloke at work who I hardly know has given me a bass for free. He said he has given up the bass in favour of a six string lead guitar and had heard I play a bit of bass so he brought it in and gave it to me :). It has a lovely growly tone and even my pick playing sounds good on it.

Random acts of kindness wonderful arent they?
[/quote]

Pics?

[quote name='E sharp' timestamp='1404681191' post='2494727']
That's great when that happens . I gave an old Trace head to a young kid starting up who I knew , and also other bits and pieces away . It's just nice to do it if you can . I remember being helped out when I first started , and I've never forgotten it . I vowed to do the same , and I have - tuners , stands , books , videos , and the like . Not much , but just stuff lying around . I think the person giving gets almost as much as the person receiving , and if I'm anything to go by , by doing this , you're almost ensuring that that person does the same further on down the line .
[/quote]

Yeah wouldnt it be great if his act of kindness resulted in me becoming a top bassist in a massively popular rock band of Zeppelin proportions? The fact that I am an old fart even before I start sort of makes this a mere dream though

I gave my nephew (guitar player, was 15 at the time) my Laney combo bass amp, as his bass playing mate couldn't afford a proper bass amp (was playing through a guitar practice amp) His band doing quite well in local circuit so he tells me........ cue warm fuzzy feeling :)

Same thing happened to me when I was 17. I mentioned to the boss's son that I played bass and he said that he had one that he never played and offered it to me for a tenner. When he brought it in and I tried it he was surprised that I really did play and told me I could have it for nothing. It was only a Satellite bass but it played and sounded nice.

When I used to fish a lot I would often end up helping out beginners, teaching them how to plumb the depth and unhook fish and stuff, simple things that people don't know to think of before they set out for their first time. I would usually end up giving them plum-bobs and disgorgers and stuff. Things that only cost pennies, but meant that they didn't have to pack up early just because they didn't have the right equipment. I don't think it really matters much what something costs, often it really is the thought behind it.

A friend of mine who often used to pop i to our practise room, suddenly decided he wanted to play bass. He is somewhat impetuous and impatient.
He quite fancied my Tobias and started looking to buy his own. Now I fully suspected it would be a flash in the pan. So a quick scout on fleabay found a Crafter P type bass which I won for £25.
When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. Anyway I gave it to my mate on the condition that if he couldn't learn a song in a month he would have to give it back.
Two years later he can't play a song, however I didn't take it back and now every time I'm at his place there is a decent bass to noodle on.

Lately he has professed a liking for drums :wacko:

I'm going to add my personal thanks to fellow BC member jude b who has very kindly given me a set of strings that were surplus to his requirements. The strings arrived in the post today and are now fitted to my trusty old Westone Spectrum LX and it's never sounded better - I'm new to these strings, which are La Bella SN45 (nickel plated roundwounds) and they're just immense, huge amounts of deep bass on tap, a measured amount of zing without sounding trebly brash or metallic. Happy times! :)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1404765789' post='2495580']I'm going to add my personal thanks to fellow BC member jude b...[/quote]

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/13049/applause.gif[/IMG][/URL]

A friend of mine was given a drum kit for Christmas by his dad so decided he'd like to start a band but he didn't know any other musicians so asked if I'd learn an instrument so we could start a band together. He suggested bass so I "wouldn't have to learn any chords" but as I was a skint 14 year old he actually went out and bought me a bass out of the local paper - a Hohner B2A cricket bat! Loved that bass and learnt to play on it. When I eventually got tired of its weird shape and could afford to buy a new bass myself, I sold it on for a bit more than he'd paid for it and was able to pay him back with interest but I'll never forget how a friend's generosity got me started as a bass player and 19 years later I'm still going!