Why become a member? ×

Good news - Lemmy still phenomenally loud

chriswareham

My office is directly opposite the main stage at the Hyde Park Summer festival site and we had Arcade Fire on yesterday as this years first headline act. The attendance looked poor, no more than half full by 8pm, and the sound was just a dull rumble even with all the windows open although the wind was maybe in the wrong direction.

Today it's the turn of the metallers. Despite clashing with Sonisphere the festival site looks rammed and judging by the T-shirts you'd think Motorhead were headlining rather than Sabbath. Hordes of fans wandering around by mid morning, with many of the usual Oxford St tourists looking terrified and giving them a wide berth.

Anyway, just before 3pm a distinctive distorted bass sound could be clearly heard. Looking out the window the first thing I see is Lemmy's LK Rick bass on the big projection screens, then the man himself looking surprisingly well. A friend was on a flight back from LA to London with him recently, and said he was walking with a stick which was quite worrying (he also saw Lemmy's hat box going around on the luggage carousel which made me laugh).

Faith No More and Soundgarden have been on since, and they are nowhere near as loud as Motorhead.