Why become a member? ×

In Praise Of Curly Cables!

Hot Tub

Started using an old curly guitar cable which I found lying around, and oh... my... gawwwd! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. It's amazing! The difference in the sound of my bass is just astonishing. It sounds deeper... richer... fuller... just amazing. It's the sound I've been looking for, and I found it in an old curly cable.

Try one! You won't be disappointed.

:)

Ah, how I yearn for that now-lost crackle with every move I made, the delicate crunch as a foot pressed on the cable, and the spasmodic leaps of effects pedals as the limits of elasticity were reached on my travels around the stage.

[quote name='tauzero' post='244938' date='Jul 21 2008, 11:34 PM']Ah, how I yearn for that now-lost crackle with every move I made, the delicate crunch as a foot pressed on the cable, and the spasmodic leaps of effects pedals as the limits of elasticity were reached on my travels around the stage.[/quote]
Hahaha all so true :)

[quote name='Astronomer' post='244875' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:16 PM']Started using an old curly guitar cable which I found lying around, and oh... my... gawwwd! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. It's amazing! The difference in the sound of my bass is just astonishing. It sounds deeper... richer... fuller... just amazing. It's the sound I've been looking for, and I found it in an old curly cable.

:)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Obviously a big Shadows Fan!
Rocking with Curly Leads!....... :huh:

Curley leads weren't even any good in the 70's, they used very cheap wire and plugs, but, like all antiques, they really don't stack up against their modern equivalent.
Back then, I remember that speaker leads were made of bell wire! Leads are so much better these days!

[quote name='chris_b' post='245175' date='Jul 22 2008, 10:55 AM']Curley leads weren't even any good in the 70's, they used very cheap wire and plugs, but, like all antiques, they really don't stack up against their modern equivalent.
Back then, I remember that speaker leads were made of bell wire! Leads are so much better these days![/quote]

Try and solder a curly lead its nigh on impossible I think the shield wire was made from sugar !!!

Nothing wrong with bell wire is there ?.....I found explosive firing cable makes good speaker wire...?

[quote name='Astronomer' post='244875' date='Jul 21 2008, 10:16 PM']Started using an old curly guitar cable which I found lying around, and oh... my... gawwwd! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. It's amazing! The difference in the sound of my bass is just astonishing. It sounds deeper... richer... fuller... just amazing. It's the sound I've been looking for, and I found it in an old curly cable.

:)[/quote]

So that'll be the effect of increased cable capacitance reducing your treble. You could of course just turn down the tone knob on your bass...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='245236' date='Jul 22 2008, 11:45 AM']So that'll be the effect of increased cable capacitance reducing your treble. You could of course just turn down the tone knob on your bass...

Alex[/quote]

Alex i think your my hero ^_^

• 3 years later...

I've used one of those Bullet cables above for the last two gigs.
I can't really notice any major tonal difference but getting about the stage without getting all tangled up and having my 4m lead turning into a 2m lead because it gets in a knot like usual is very liberating.
If you patrol your territory on stage and make the odd invasion into the guitarists base camp like I do I'd recommend getting one.
They look very retro chic too.

I use one of those bullet cables as well and it`s white with a red stripe. It has a 44 magnum bullet casing round the end of the conector which impresses guitarists no end. It`s quite a novelty as most older guys only remember the old crappy ones whereas these ones are the dogs dangalies. And so they should be at £40 a go.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

HaHa 4 year old thread revival :lol:

I've had one of the Rotosound RMP32 coily leads for years, use it for practise & testing, never a problem with & they're only a fiver IIRC.

[url="http://www.rotosound.com/instrument_cables.php"]http://www.rotosound...ment_cables.php[/url] & scroll down.

EDIT: Even better $4.95 !!!!!!!!!! £3.16?????????? Buy On Line @
[url="http://store.rotosound.com/products/productdetail/Curly+Instrument+Lead+Right+Angled+Jack/part_number=RMP32/7454.0.1.1.56.16814.0.0.0?pp=12&"]http://store.rotosound.com/products/productdetail/Curly+Instrument+Lead+Right+Angled+Jack/part_number=RMP32/7454.0.1.1.56.16814.0.0.0?pp=12&[/url]

Edited by KiOgon