Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

I suppose I could do some Googling myself on this, but what's the general feeling of the people from Glastonbury town and the neighbouring areas, do they approve / disapprove of the festival being held there each year?

I've no doubt it brings money in the neighbourhood, but I'd sure as hell not look forward to nearly 200,000 descending on my town each year, and all the madness and chaos it brings.

I missed it all as I was working but caught some on iplayer. I really liked Dolly but to believe that she actually played any of those instruments with those nails..... C'mon ?

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1404205584' post='2490179']
I suppose I could do some Googling myself on this, but what's the general feeling of the people from Glastonbury town and the neighbouring areas, do they approve / disapprove of the festival being held there each year?

I've no doubt it brings money in the neighbourhood, but I'd sure as hell not look forward to nearly 200,000 descending on my town each year, and all the madness and chaos it brings.
[/quote]

Well I remember on the local news that they had a struggle to get a licence from the local council for a number of years. That is the excuse for the fencing (to ensure they don't exceed the agreed numbers) and the stricter anti-drugs stance. Other than that, I haven't heard much discent for a while but that might be on HTV and not Meridien news - or perhaps money talks and then people don't.......

There is a dolly parton mime controversy brewing.
I thought she was miming immediately and i have worked with a fe artists who used the multitrack vocal backup so I reckon I can spot it.
Stephen fry is stating that the delay in her lip movement and the audio was a tv glitch, that nobody else over the entire festival coverage suffered from.
I just googled "dolly parton mimes" and got loads of hits about complaints that she mimes part or all of her Blue Smoke tour for the last few years.
Well done Eavis, a miming dolly parton at glastonbury.
nice.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1404205584' post='2490179']

[/quote]

Not being pedantic but it's every two years isn't it? I think they have a policy of letting the fields recover for a year before the next festival rolls around. M Eavis has much less involvement with the festival now, mostly run by his daughter. Dad concentrates on the dairy farm these days.

Really enjoyed Metallica, not my type of music by any stretch of the imagination, but when compared to the majority of the others there is a reason they are still going 30+ years later
I am just getting old I think, "you cant call that noise music" and all that

Would love to go, but CBA with actually going. If that makes sense

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1404214282' post='2490309']
There is a dolly parton mime controversy brewing.
I thought she was miming immediately and i have worked with a fe artists who used the multitrack vocal backup so I reckon I can spot it.
Stephen fry is stating that the delay in her lip movement and the audio was a tv glitch, that nobody else over the entire festival coverage suffered from.
I just googled "dolly parton mimes" and got loads of hits about complaints that she mimes part or all of her Blue Smoke tour for the last few years.
Well done Eavis, a miming dolly parton at glastonbury.
nice.
[/quote]

Stephen Fry is right about the audio/video sync glitch - I was watching Metallica on iPlayer last night, while Hetf is spot on, cut to the drums and watching Lars is like being at the back at Wembley Arena.

As for Dolly, see http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b048t0jz/glastonbury-2014-dolly-parton about About 1:18:40s in. Oops!

I think Jack White was enhanced by the atmosphere. I was up at the front and loved every disheveled minute of it whereas some mates much further back didn't get it at all.

Metallica sounded huge live and I thought they pulled out all the stops and nailed the show. Other highlights were St Vincent, Royal Blood, Jurrasic 5 who I thought I'd never get to see and Melt Yourself Down. To be honest though I'm having trouble remembering a lot of the weekend... I'll have to get on iPlayer for a reminder.

As I said in my previous post the video/audio synchronisation issues are due to the wireless cameras that are used for broadcasts like this.

Have a read of [url=http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1104333&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1#1104333]this thread on Sound On Sound's forums[/url] and especially Hugh Robjohns' second contribution to the thread.

I never caught a great deal of the coverage over the weekend but I've got most of what was on BBC2 Sky+'d to catch up with later.

I did though watch some of Jack White's set on the iplayer and I must admit, I'm another in the "thought it was great" camp.

Which is probably just as well since I've tickets to see him at the Glasgow Hydro later in the year!

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1404214282' post='2490309']
i have worked with a fe artists who used the multitrack vocal backup so I reckon I can spot it.
[/quote]Some years ago I was on the same bill as A Well Known UK Vocal Group From The 70s. Their soundcheck was a jawdropping experience of the "how the f*** do they get away with this?" variety. Barely anything the punters heard was live, it was virtually all backing track.
[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1404215678' post='2490338']
As for Dolly, see [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b048t0jz/glastonbury-2014-dolly-parton"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...14-dolly-parton[/url] about About 1:18:40s in. Oops!
[/quote]Blimey, that's a hell of a glitch. Not only does it cause audio & video to be out of sync, but it makes entire words appear out of nowhere.
Comprehensively busted there, I think.

Vid and audio sync is one thing. Not opening your gob while a voice sings out is another.
Not all of those cameras are wireless.
I am convinced Parton was miming, and has mimed her way across the globe according to a lot of disappointed fans and critics.
The link above makes it pretty clear.
http://dailyreview.crikey.com.au/dolly-parton-blue-smoke-tour-review-rod-laver-arena-melbourne/
"[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Dolly has admitted to having parts of her shows pre-recorded in the past – let’s face it, this isn’t a woman afraid of, ahem, enhancements – and it’s difficult to tell exactly what parts were lip-synched and what parts weren’t. But in the moments where she clearly was singing live, it’s clear that her voice is still in great shape: light, agile and breathy in moments, and piercingly powerful when it needs to be."[/size][/font][/color]

http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/a-tale-of-two-dollys
[color=#252525][font=Georgia, Palatino,]"In addition to being a musician I am also a voice teacher, so I'm sure I was picking up on technical subtleties that most would not notice, and to be honest, with all the plastic surgery and botox it's pretty hard to actually see what someone's face is doing, but all that doubt was confirmed when I caught her dropping words in the second set. It was clear by the end that Dolly had lip-synced at least half of the concert and had pantomimed playing almost every instrument"[/font][/color]

I don't know about the vocals but Jeez do any of you think she was playing that fiddle? Come on then digital camera experts why was the guy on the right playing in time when hers wasn't, my bow technique on DB is terrible but I can tell you that's not how you bow a fiddle! No mic, no wireless Kit, no piezo installed...

[quote name='timo' timestamp='1404215855' post='2490340']
...and Melt Yourself Down.
[/quote]

Hurray! I'm seeing them at Love Supreme at the weekend. They're great aren't they - and a million miles from where Pete Wareham's other band, Polar Bear, have ended up.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1404216473' post='2490357']
I did though watch some of Jack White's set on the iplayer and I must admit, I'm another in the "thought it was great" camp.
[/quote]

I read a review somewhere of the Black Keys set and it said it was a shame that they did not put in the same energy as Jack White. My thought to this was.....but the Black Keys sound like they are playing music and JW sounded like random noise, similar to the Jazz sketches on the Fast Show. But each to their own. :)
BTW why did JW have Cardinal Richelieu on the slide guitar/theremin?

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1404224070' post='2490463']

I read a review somewhere of the Black Keys set and it said it was a shame that they did not put in the same energy as Jack White. My thought to this was.....but the Black Keys sound like they are playing music and JW sounded like random noise, similar to the Jazz sketches on the Fast Show. But each to their own. :)
BTW why did JW have Cardinal Richelieu on the slide guitar/theremin?
[/quote]

Yip, each to their own indeed. I quite like The Black Keys also, just happen to think Jack White does it better.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1404139220' post='2489638']
Has anyone else noticed how Ellie Goulding is getting increasingly desperate in trying to turn herself into some kind of credible "alternative " artist [i]a la [/i]Florence And The Machine?
[/quote]

You mean she's started to sing wildly out of tune?