Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1403991857' post='2488428']
Rob Trujillo also wears his bass lower than pretty much everyone else. Surprising how he can still reach it.

Liam
[/quote]

Silly haircut though.
I photographed metallica donnington in the 80s they were very good.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1404074671' post='2489102']

Silly haircut though.
I photographed metallica donnington in the 80s they were very good.
[/quote]

I was at that Donnington gig. Blimey, I had forgotten I had seen them live.

Must be old age.

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1403992823' post='2488442']
Trujillo is an absolute monster on the bass.
[/quote]

Silly haircut though
I photographed metallica at Donnington in the '80s; they were very good
http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/500x595/64b01bc2a348ac397e1685dbba2340ed31e6c23d.jpg

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1404069985' post='2489007']
Not seen Bombay Bicycle Club before, and not really my bag, but they have a good tight rhythm section - nice dynamics to the songs too
[/quote]

I think the bassist was using a Squier P bass too :)

Is there any concrete proof Dolly was miming earlier?
I've seen a lot of posts on line that suggest the audio was out of sync on thre broadcast, and that the organisers wouldn't let this sort of thing happen.
Just asking. I saw a few numbers and although I thought her voice was a bit low I didn't notice anything else wrong.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1404079683' post='2489162']I saw a few numbers and although I thought her voice was a bit low I didn't notice anything else wrong.
[/quote]
I didn't think she was miming.
However, I mentioned that they had their mixing wrong in the bit where Richie Sambora came in as you couldn't really hear her, and my wife whos a singer, looked up, roller her eyes and said 'Typical, it is all going along fine then the guitarist turns themselves up and then noone can hear anything"

[quote name='guzzibass' timestamp='1404081927' post='2489193']
Don't get Kasabian at all.... Maybe I'm just too old...!
[/quote]

Saw Kasabian in Plymouth last week doing a warm up show for Glasto and it was up there with one of the best gigs I've ever been to ...... and that's a lot.

Horses for courses eh?

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1404071584' post='2489047']Certainly looked it today, I think they sound pretty cool. Loved the Beasties cover.[/quote]

It sounded terrible but I imagine it was well received, punk-to-punk. Beasties won't be doing any more records or any more tours, it's a pretty sad scene all round.

Got back late last night, I had a gig that clashed with Blondie :( .
Saw Metallica , I've never considered myself a fan but was blown away by them, they are pretty damn intense! (and loud)
I didn't have any reason to suspect that Dolly's singing was mimed, the sax that she was holding looked like a soprano but the sound you heard was an alto!
Stuff that may not have been on TV that impressed me Rev Payton's Big Damn Band - Slide guitar , drums and washboard! It shouldn't work but really does. The Dodge Brothers -Film critic Mark Kermode on double bass (great player) rockabilly band , I saw them with one of his old school friends , introduced after the show.
Brushy One String - one string guitarist, I wanted to see him but his gig was cancelled , not sure why.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1404079683' post='2489162']
I've seen a lot of posts on line that suggest the audio was out of sync on thre broadcast, and that the organisers wouldn't let this sort of thing happen.
[/quote]

I've had it confirmed from a sound engineer who's worked at previous Glastonburys that it does happen, unfortunately (not that this constitutes any kind of proof that Dolly was miming mind you)

Edited by toneknob

[/quote]

Welcome to the digital world. Back in the days when all television was analogue, studio/OB ->links->transmitter->receiver, it was almost impossible for sound to go out of sync with the picture. Nowadays we are in the world of digital where anything can happen as processing times for sound and vision paths can be quite different. Cameras that are not connected to the main vision mixer are usually connected through "Field Synchronisers" which will delay the pictures and you don't need many of these in series before it becomes noticeable. This becomes even worse if, for example the main stage mixer is analogue, which it probably was, but the vision path was all digital. Delays are put in the sound path to compensate but they don't always get it right. I'm afraid to say that sound out of sync with the pictures doesn't necessarily mean that an artist is miming, it could equally as well mean that the engineers haven't got it quite right. Even my Humax recorder on Freeview is sometimes out of sync.

Is there any concrete proof Dolly was miming earlier?
Just asking. I saw a few numbers and although I thought her voice was a bit low I didn't notice anything else wrong.
[/quote]

Apparently the video and audio out of sync is to do with the BBC's use of wireless cameras for these kinds of broadcasts, where there is a slight but noticeable delay on the video getting to the broadcast mixer. There was a discussion on the SoS forums recently about this along with a detailed technical explanation about why it happens and why for live broadcasts it can't be fixed with the current state of technology.