Why become a member? ×

Glasto 2014

merello

Bryan Ferry is kinda interesting - lots of big guitar solos, Cherisse Osei whacking the kit really hard and playing in heels and Guy Pratt really going for it in places with Ferry remaining his usual louche self (he never is going to move well is he?).

Edited by molan

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1403993400' post='2488446']
Whenever I get a bit " Meh, Metallica aren't what they were" I see a live performance and then think " Oh yeah, THATS why I loved em!" The riffs, the riffs!!!
[/quote]
Yeah , I've never been a big fan , even though we do 2 of their songs . But I'm really enjoying it . Also flicking back and forth to Bryan Ferry , with Gut Pratt on bass - the bass sounds really good .

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1403992823' post='2488442']
Trujillo is an absolute monster on the bass.
[/quote]

Certainly is - some stunning guitar and drumming as well - I began to think it was my tele but I couldn't hear much of what Trujillo was playing - I then relented and watched Bryan Ferry at the request of Mrs drT - first song contained a couple of one bar breaks where individual instruments featured and the one with the bass was a laugh because it was almost inaudible. It's not my tele - they changed the mix after the first song - it's all now pretty impressive and the bass sounds great - shock horror a bass solo also - is it Guy Pratt?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1403993730' post='2488452']
Bryan Ferry's band are immense. Especially drums and the bassist with his Status Vintage. Great job guys.
[/quote]

They are playing walking distance from my house in a week or so. Tickets are big money (range from £80 to £120!) but I might stroll down and see how much I can catch from outside (it's an outdoor event).

Edited by molan

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1403993730' post='2488452']
Bryan Ferry's band are immense. Especially drums and the bassist with his Status Vintage. Great job guys.
[/quote]

Great Rhythm section and the youth of the band makes all the songs fresh again, Best band so far IMO.

Did Metallica's Trujillo get his burnt Fender Jazz from that idiot who sells those unique, one-of-a-kind, tastefully reliced basses on eBay? :lol:

I lasted roughly two songs into their set before I gave up as it sounded a bit weedy to me and I couldn't stand having to look at all the grinning fans standing behind them...

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1404032041' post='2488576']
Did Metallica's Trujillo get his burnt Fender Jazz from that idiot who sells those unique, one-of-a-kind, tastefully reliced basses on eBay? :lol:

I lasted roughly two songs into their set before [b]I gave up as it sounded a bit weedy to me[/b] and I couldn't stand having to look at all the grinning fans standing behind them...
[/quote]

I thought it was just me, but I was of the same opinion...where was the HEAVY sound? :unsure:
And what was with the crowd of 'people' swaying and bouncing at the back of the stage? Put them in front of the band and put big amps and cabs in their place ffs!!

Actually, I've tried and tried to listen to Metallica on numerous occasions but find them really dull, they bore me rigid. I turned over and watched Van Helsing on Channel 4 instead (not a brilliant film but it has got Kate Beckinsale in knee length boots in it :blush: , and the wife likes the look of that Hugh wots his face chap...winner all round)

EDIT: I did watch a bit of the Bryan Ferry set, and of all the snippets I watched Guy Pratt was the only bass player I could hear. :/

Edited by Marvin

[size=5][sup]Liked Bryan Ferry who can rock it. [/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]If you are going to have Douggie up on stage, lets hear him and we sure did.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]Mind you, needed two Ashdowns ( 1 spare ) :lol: :lol: ;) [/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]No Andy Newmark tho... :( [/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]Enjoyed it...[/sup][/size]

We ( the whole family) actually watched the whole Metalica set last night. I was interested to see them but not a fan, my kids hadn't heard of them and the GF just wanted to hear Sandman.
Actually quite enjoyed it and was surprised we went the distance.

I also thought Robert Plant was good. I haven't been able to listen to his recent stuff but liked what he played last night, especially Whole Lotta Love.

I used to be a huge Blondie fan but had to skip through most of it. I've never rated Debbie as a good singer, although she had a certain charm, but can't really listen to her these days, especially not live. Loved the guitar solo in Heart of glass though (I think it was that song). Wasn't keen on the growly bass tone though.

We caught some of the Jack White set and my youngest commented "why aren't they all playing the same song". Made us chuckle and I understood what he meant.

Going to catch up on the rest over the next few days.

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1404038139' post='2488647']
Ice cube cool!

He's the British Trujillo! :P
[/quote]
Awesome bassist and very funny guy indeed. Any idea what bass he's playing here? Looks cool - like a hollow bodied 51 P. Kind of....

Haven't seen much, and most of what I have managed to see has been pretty bland. Favourites for me so far have been Parquet Courts, and Jack White doing Icky Thump. De La Soul also pretty good.