Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1024093' date='Nov 14 2010, 10:30 PM']Had the pleasure of seeing Autechre, at the N.I.A. Centre in Manchester, ended up in the dressing rooms, smoking with an American, black funk band who were supporting. Can anyone help me out in remembering who they could have been?

[/quote]

Nice nice nice. You a Boards of Canada fan by any chance?

[quote name='risingson' post='1025277' date='Nov 15 2010, 10:23 PM']Never found them gloomy at all, although I can see why you'd say that they were. To me, they're the creators of the best music I have ever heard.[/quote]Don't get me wrong, I don't find them gloomy at all but their music has a beautiful melancholia that I like.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1028677' date='Nov 18 2010, 11:26 PM']that's new to me and extremely welcome !!! :)[/quote]

Their first proper album ("Hot") came out in 1996 and you would probably recognise every tune on it because they all ended up being used on commercials. I think this tune was also used on a commercial but I couldn't tell you which one.

They were a fantastic band, seven piece with three front men who each played one stringed instrument and one brass instrument and also sang, plus the banjo-playing singer woman. I saw them live at the Roseland in NYC when Hot was out, they actually got Les Paul himself up on stage for one number, and the crowd ranged from teenage kids up to people in their 60s all dancing. Brilliant night out.