Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

A complete topic derail on the "Is Smoke on the Water Heavy Metal?", topic lead to a discussion on Birmingham girls' schools, which allowed us to get vaguely back on topic via the NWHM band Girlschool. Who are still going and released this in 2015. Not the best track on the album, but the one to make you smile!

• Like 2

I'm not a massive fan of The Who (especially the 'Rock' years 😕), but really enjoying this instrumental from the High Numbers (i.e. before they were called the Who). Came up on facebook.

Disclaimer: A couple of folk on youtube  are disputing who it is . But great track whoever IMO.

• Like 2

I've been on a serious Soundgarden buzz recently and am enjoying Ultramega OK at the moment. The remixed version which cane out a few years ago is a major improvement on the original. What was once thin and weedy now has some cajones.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm not a massive fan of The Who (especially the 'Rock' years 😕), but really enjoying this instrumental from the High Numbers (i.e. before they were called the Who). Came up on facebook.

Disclaimer: A couple of folk on youtube  are disputing who it is . But great track whoever IMO.

Not heard that before. Really like it.

I can see why some folk might think it’s not The Who - the guitar does sound a bit more Jimmy Page than Pete Townsend in parts - but the drums have to be Keith Moon, don’t they?! 

Edit to say, I’ve listened to it a couple of times now and there’s definitely a Townsend ‘Sparks/Underture’ feel to the guitar so no real reason to think it isn’t early Who?

As you say, whoever it is it’s good… 

Edited by Old Man Riva
Townsend’s distinctive guitar style/chords!

32 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I've been on a serious Soundgarden buzz recently and am enjoying Ultramega OK at the moment. The remixed version which cane out a few years ago is a major improvement on the original. What was once thin and weedy now has some cajones.

I think Ultramega OK is an underrated album. It didn't have any big hits. Its on my regular play list but Superunknown is still my favourite album. Soundgarden had everything, they were all great musicians, they had the great songs and Chris Cornell was one of the greatest ever rock vocalists.