Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

Propagandhi, they're more or less all I've listened to this week after one of ther tracks came up on a Spotify playlist.

They're a name I knew, but I'd never listened to them before, but the bass playing and tone is awesome, so I've been listening to a lot of their records and really enjoying them - politically charged, metallic-punk with fantastic performances.

Though lyrically they're quite political, it's not as in your face as someone like Antiflag for example, the lyrics read at times like a polemical essay and at others like an achingly honest diary entry.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sprocketflup said:

I have a couple I keep swapping back and forth between at the mo, namely 'Music Has The Right to Children' and 'Geogaddi'

Im not a massive electronica fan, but do listen to all sorts. Id like to delve into the genre a bit more, can you recommend me some stuff? Are Carbon Based Lifeforms worth a listen? I noticed their albums seem quite expensive

If you're into more ambient stuff, either beatless or light beats, then CBL are great. These are seen as classics of the genre

Woob - 1194, 4494

Global Communication - 76:14

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms, Environments

The Orb - Adventures beyond the Ultraworld, UFOrb

Biosphere - Patashnik, Substrata, Cirque

Autechre -Amber, Incanabula

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

If you're into more ambient stuff, either beatless or light beats, then CBL are great. These are seen as classics of the genre

Woob - 1194, 4494

Global Communication - 76:14

Future Sound of London - Lifeforms, Environments

The Orb - Adventures beyond the Ultraworld, UFOrb

Biosphere - Patashnik, Substrata, Cirque

Autechre -Amber, Incanabula

Others making ambient ish electronica ...

The Field - Swedish fella making minimalist ambient trancey vibes. Check out Looping State of Mind or From Here We Go Sublime

Lindstrom -  The 3 track Where You Go I Go Too is a bit of a gem

Ulrich Schnauss - can't go far wrong with any of his albums but many followers would probably suggest Far Away Trains Passing By

Blue States - if you like stuff with a bit of a film score feel then try Nothing Changes Under the Sun, which is quite John Barry ish

I’ve been listening to a lot of Crowded House this week in the car. I’ve been a fan since the eighties (before that, if you include Split Enz); they’re one of those bands I always go back to, Neil Finn is one of my favourite songwriters. I like Nick Seymour’s bass playing too, very understated, plays for the song first and foremost. He also does this thing where he sometimes holds the root note even after the chord has changed, or shifts to the root note of the coming chord in anticipation of it’s arrival. I like it, it adds a tension or an urgency which is very pleasing. 

• Like 4

The 'lost' Coltrane album, Both Directions At Once, is pretty nice. I treated myself to a vinyl copy as it's not often that you get to buy a new Coltrane album...

It's a big step up from the usual 'undiscovered' recordings that surface from time to time, and it has much more of the feel of a proper studio release. The recording quality is good and the quartet are in their prime so the playing is great, I'm really enjoying Jimmy Garrison's bass playing in particular. The two new untitled tunes are very good and there are a few versions of Impressions which is interesting because I haven't heard any studio versions before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steantval said:

Snap Blue, I just found this on YouTube today, Lzzy has a stunning powerful voice.

Indeed, very underated.

Halestorm has been out there working their butts off for years. I wish they could get to the next level. Lizzy started that band with her brother  when she she was 13.

Check out her scream when she brings the band into "Slave To The Grind"

Blue

16 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Indeed, very underated.

Halestorm has been out there working their butts off for years. I wish they could get to the next level. Lizzy started that band with her brother  when she she was 13.

Check out her scream when she brings the band into "Slave To The Grind"

Blue

Maybe she was just a bit too late, if she had been around in the 80s she would have been huge, but now its not as popular a genre.

And she should have come up with a name that didn't sound as close to alestorm, as I always assume people are talking about them when they mention the group!

Edited by Woodinblack

18 hours ago, Bluewine said:

...Check out her scream when she brings the band into "Slave To The Grind"...

Unlistenable cacophony. One had to 'be there', maybe. A lesson in how not to set up a PA and record stuff. I gave it four minutes; I shan't repeat the experience. Sorry, no points from me for this one. ^_^

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Maybe she was just a bit too late, if she had been around in the 80s she would have been huge, but now its not as popular a genre.

And she should have come up with a name that didn't sound as close to alestorm, as I always assume people are talking about them when they mention the group!

Yeah, Lizzy and her brother were just a tad late for what they do.

I know when they played Summerfest here in Milwaukee last year, there was a line a mile long for their merch.

Blue

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Unlistenable cacophony. One had to 'be there', maybe. A lesson in how not to set up a PA and record stuff. I gave it four minutes; I shan't repeat the experience. Sorry, no points from me for this one. ^_^

What?

So nobody likes attractive talented young rock ladies anymore?

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

19 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

What?

So nobody likes attractive talented young rock ladies anymore?...

So, (be truthful, now...) do you honestly find the sound of that video to be 'attractive', well recorded..? Would you be pleased if the drummer in your band sounded like that..? :o

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

So, (be truthful, now...) do you honestly find the sound of that video to be 'attractive', well recorded..? Would you be pleased if the drummer in your band sounded like that..? :o

It's a phone video with poor sound, but I can isolate Lizzy's vocal talent and stage presence.

In my opinion Lizzy has a great vocals for rock and she always great on stage and always looks great on stage.

She's hot.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Just now, Bluewine said:

It's a phone video with poor sound, but I can isolate Lizzy's vocal talent and stage presence.

In my opinion Lizzy has a great vocals for rock and she always great on stage and always looks great on stage.

Blue

I've no qualms with that if I turn the sound off. Leaving the sound on and closing my eyes, however, is quite a different story..! :lol: