Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

5 hours ago, meterman said:

I listened to the first four Yes albums this week as part of my personal Prog odyssey and have currently got this on. Am about 10 minutes in, hopefully the good bits will start soon...

You're potentially overdosing!

I love Yes, but skip Topographic Oceans. If you're not enjoying Close to the Edge then bounce over to Drama or 90125 for a change.

16 hours ago, Richard R said:

You're potentially overdosing!

I think you’re right 😂

I’ve only liked a couple of tracks on each Yes album so far, and they were usually the ones without all the noodly riffage and solos. One of my mates swears that “Tormato” is his fave album of all time. But he does smoke a lot of weed and rarely leaves the house! Might have to bow out at this point...

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, meterman said:

I think you’re right 😂

I’ve only liked a couple of tracks on each Yes album so far, and they were usually the ones without all the noodly riffage and solos. One of my mates swears that “Tormato” is his fave album of all time. But he does smoke a lot of weed and rarely leaves the house! Might have to bow out at this point...

Tormato was the album that started their move away from 100% Prog (or at least that's how I look at it)  Try 90125, which is a straight ahead pop-rock album, then take a break.   It took me a while to get to like Yes, and even longer for Jethro Tull. In both cases there was something there I liked, but I couldn't quite get a hold on it.

• Like 2

Found some mp3 hidden away somwhere weird on my HD - might have been an accidental drag & drop.

Also quite taken with another (Gary) Numan

I watched the Sky Arts doc on him (again) - his wife - lovely as she might be - did seem to me to have the quirks of a coke user - brushing the end of her nose with her hand a lot. What I loved about the doc was his 3 girls - they are so supportive of his music - two of them sometimes appear on stage with him to help out with backing vocals - you could see that great bond between him and his girls.

• Like 1

I'd always heard they're much despised by more discerning music listeners over the age of 17 but today I thought I'd check out The Chainsmokers for myself.  And yep, they truly define the lowest common denominator, disposable and forgettable EDM fodder. I can objectively appreciate stuff that's not my bag but this duo are categorised as an electronica/dance music act, a genre I know a bit about. Things is, some of their songs are getting 2 BILLION plus views while topping the Billboard singles charts several times. Here's one of their 'classics'. Enjoy 😁

Edited by Barking Spiders

17 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

I'd always heard they're much despised by more discerning music listeners over the age of 17 but today I thought I'd check out The Chainsmokers for myself.  And yep, they truly define the lowest common denominator, disposable and forgettable EDM fodder. I can objectively appreciate stuff that's not my bag but this duo are categorised as an electronica/dance music act, a genre I know a bit about. Things is, some of their songs are getting 2 BILLION plus views while topping the Billboard singles charts several times. Here's one of their 'classics'. Enjoy 😁

Sort of tune you hear around the hotel pool in Ibiza while doing the staff keep fit class 😁

52 minutes ago, tegs07 said:

Digging through my dusty and neglected vinyl collection and playing Bob Marley and the Wailers, Exodus. I haven’t heard it in years. Seriously how can one man write so many good songs in a lifetime, let alone on one record.

Definitely 👍, One of my favourites and the first album I learned to play, I’ve studied Aston Barrett in quite depth, his style and technique is just amazing , I’ve showed this before ,  don does a great job here 

• Like 1

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

Bit of a different listening experience this time... I'm at the last section drummer John "Drumbo" French's book "Though the Eyes Of Magic" which is an account of Beefheart and John's time in the band.

The last chapter are track note on all the albums... So I've been reading the track note for each song before listening to it.

Here are the track notes (page 802 - it's a long book with small typeface!) and YT link for track #7 - Pachuco Cadaver

E3E2F628-1999-4B79-8142-62C12D0FB9E7.thumb.jpeg.81da9c21932a55dd0f234da5113772be.jpeg

Edited by Nail Soup
Add picture
  • Like 2