Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's taken me 40 years to get a copy (since deciding I ought to get one).

This is one of those albums that I admire more than I like. Clearly the songs are really well written and carry lots of emotion, but not emotions that resonate with me. 
Probably because - to quote Hermione Granger talking to Ron - I have the emotional range of a teaspoon.  😄

27 minutes ago, Richard R said:

This is one of those albums that I admire more than I like. Clearly the songs are really well written and carry lots of emotion, but not emotions that resonate with me. 
Probably because - to quote Hermione Granger talking to Ron - I have the emotional range of a teaspoon.  😄

Carole King was first and foremost a songwriter, and a performer second. Many of the songs have been done famously well by others, but it deserves its classic status.

It's remarkable how many of them are familiar, the album felt a bit like putting on a cosy sweater.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Carole King was first and foremost a songwriter, and a performer second. Many of the songs have been done famously well by others, but it deserves its classic status.

It's remarkable how many of them are familiar, the album felt a bit like putting on a cosy sweater.

I agree, it's a justified classic. But not one I'll reach for very often.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It is just one of those great classic albums. Brilliant songs, vocals and musicians, and somehow doesn't sound it's age too. Definitely one of my favourite songwriters, she's written (often along with co-writer and ex-husband Gerry Goffin) so many memorable songs.

Today I've listened to a lot of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Brilliant dirty rock and roll with the dirtiest sounding hollow body bass. 

They're also an incredible live band. No jumping around the stage, no fancy stage design, no talking to the audience, no gimmicks. They just come on stage, plug in and smash out an hour and a half of non stop music that sounds just vaguely like the album version.

I have been really enjoying the new Green Lung album, Black Harvest. 

They have been picking up quite a bit of mainstream attention, The Guardian even did an article about them. 

Critics could call them Sabbath clones, but there is enough of a twist for me to stop them being too derivative of other bands. The guitar work for a start has loads of Brian May influences which I really like. I also love the way that they have a lot of old school English folk music influences and despite not being a massive fan of organs, I think that the addition of a full time organ player really helps the band. I really like the production too. Sometimes they remind me of what would happen if you mixed Black Sabbath and Boston.  

Between that an Boss Keloid, both of my favourite 'heavier' albums this year have been released by bands from England, which is a nice change. There is of course the new Mastodon album out this week which I am looking forward to as well. 

https://greenlung.bandcamp.com/album/black-harvest