Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

16 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

One of the all time greatest metal albums. I think all the band members were at their best for this one

Black Label Society's Zakk Wylde [..]: "I used to goof with Dime, Vulgar is like with the Spinal Tap album, except instead of it being, 'You can't get none more black,' it's 'You can't get none more heavier.' It was just the most brutal thing. I remember hearing it and going, What the hell are these guys smoking?"

Nuff said. 

8 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I first became aware of klezmer via a documentary program, and thought it was a great sound. I see the occasional  clip on YT.

Care to suggest a YT vid?

Not Klezmer per se but... well, I'll let Wiki and John Zorn explain...

Given the historical associations of the project's name (see Masada), the Hebrew titles of the compositions, the melodic themes and musical structures reminiscent of klezmer music, and the Jewish imagery on the covers of the associated albums, Zorn was clearly exploring his Jewish roots with the Masada songbook and groups. He stated: "The idea with Masada is to produce a sort of radical Jewish music, a new Jewish music which is not the traditional one in a different arrangement, but music for the Jews of today. The idea is to put Ornette Coleman and the Jewish scales together."

If you dig it there's eleven albums worth of studio recordings and seven live albums and then tons of offshoots.

• Like 1

Found these guys today - I can't think of many bands that can jump from Toto 

to Pink Floyd 

to Steely Dan 

to Dire Straits

to Queen

and do it all in a way that absolutely respects the original tracks and the musicians who played them.  No short cuts here.  Hell, they're living the dream and who wouldn't want to be up there?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Found these guys today - I can't think of many bands that can jump from Toto 

to Pink Floyd 

to Steely Dan 

to Dire Straits

to Queen

and do it all in a way that absolutely respects the original tracks and the musicians who played them.  No short cuts here.  

TBH, I can't think how a band that had that many members all doing different songs would have any trouble with that!