Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 22/08/2021 at 16:12, ProfJames said:

I have decided to go right back to the start of this thread to see if I can find some good music that I might have missed. I am finding lots of great songs and some of you may see me liking posts from 2009. Also some great music that I had forgotten about so thank you all...mostly 😉

We sat out until about 1.00am last night, lovely temperature, clear star-lit night, Jupiter and Saturn ascending in the south east, firepit going, couple of bottles of red.  Perfect.

I have a decent Buena Vista Social Club (and associated artistes) playlist, including Ibrahim Ferrer, Ruben Gonzalez, O'Mara, Compay and we just had that going.  It was like the planets aligned.

14 minutes ago, ubit said:

This came up on my youchoob suggestions. I like it a lot!

Ooh, no.  I'm not a fan of Alanis Morrisette...when this started I hadn't looked at the video title, but thought it sounded familiar.  Lasted maybe 30 seconds.

Always been of the opinion that if you're going to do covers, you have to better them, you know, make them your own and exceed expectation.  This does neither.  :(

23 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Always been of the opinion that if you're going to do covers, you have to better them, you know, make them your own and exceed expectation.  This does neither.  :(

I have nothing against covers in general, and I do like the original, but that takes all the anger away, which was frankly the whole point out of the song.

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Ooh, no.  I'm not a fan of Alanis Morrisette...when this started I hadn't looked at the video title, but thought it sounded familiar.  Lasted maybe 30 seconds.

Opinions are like derrière holes as they say.

3 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Did someone call?

image.png

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I have nothing against covers in general, and I do like the original, but that takes all the anger away, which was frankly the whole point out of the song.

I defo like this "cover" less than the one that @ubit dug out for us (Grouplove did a pretty good job btw!) and to your point it's not that angry either...just sayin' 😁

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I defo like this "cover" less than the one that @ubit dug out for us (Grouplove did a pretty good job btw!) and to your point it's not that angry either...just sayin' 😁

Same here, so not sure of your point. That was a bland version, the same as the one above although one could argue it is her song to do how she wants, but not something I think is good. The original, non cover, which was effectively Alanis Morrisette and RHCP, had anger and passion, which both of these lack.

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here, so not sure of your point. That was a bland version, the same as the one above although one could argue it is her song to do how she wants, but not something I think is good. The original, non cover, which was effectively Alanis Morrisette and RHCP, had anger and passion, which both of these lack.

So it's not as good as the original. I actually agree on this as I love Alanis Morrisette but that's not the point. I thought it was a good cover. Yes not as angry but the guitars made up for that, I did say that the suggestion had turned me onto Grouplove which is a good thing in my opinion.

15 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You must be fun on a night out when the cover band are playing!

11 minutes ago, ubit said:

So it's not as good as the original. I actually agree on this as I love Alanis Morrisette but that's not the point. I thought it was a good cover. Yes not as angry but the guitars made up for that, I did say that the suggestion had turned me onto Grouplove which is a good thing in my opinion.

I thought their other song was good, just that that one lacked a bit of life.

Saw a movie last night with "The Wizard of Oz" on a tv in the background and it was the part where Dorothy & Co. go prancing into the Poppy Fields and get an opium buzz. It's Munchkin-like singing and watched the credits - the song is called "Optimistic Voices". Can't get it out of my head.