Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

43 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm currently sat in the sun enjoying some Shrinebuilder. 

It's a bold claim but I think Al Cisneros is the second best metal bassist right behind Geezer Butler 

That is a very bold claim! But one I support! I'm more of an OM fan than Sleep or Shrinebuilder, but Al is bloody awesome in all of it. He's a nice guy too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bartelby said:

That is a very bold claim! But one I support! I'm more of an OM fan than Sleep or Shrinebuilder, but Al is bloody awesome in all of it. He's a nice guy too.

He is, I met him years ago in Bristol after a Sleep show. Nice bloke. 

He's quite similar to Geezer I think, most of his bass lines are just lots of variations on a core riff with pretty simple fills. Nothing complicated or fancy. Just nice grooves and solid timing. 

• Like 1

I've got a remastered version of Space Ritual on CD.

On Monday night, heading along the M4 (largely unlit) at 11pm it was not difficult to feel like I was entering hyperspace...

Lemmy's bass on the album is really clear on this version. It is utterly unlike his music with Motorhead, and is essentially the glue that holds the entire songs together and even the dominant melodic element on many of them. Solid as a rock, massively powerful and then throwing in little runs and walking excursions with loads of improvisation.

It's easy to see why Space Ritual inspired so many people to start playing bass.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've got a remastered version of Space Ritual on CD.

On Monday night, heading along the M4 (largely unlit) at 11pm it was not difficult to feel like I was entering hyperspace...

Lemmy's bass on the album is really clear on this version. It is utterly unlike his music with Motorhead, and is essentially the glue that holds the entire songs together and even the dominant melodic element on many of them. Solid as a rock, massively powerful and then throwing in little runs and walking excursions with loads of improvisation.

It's easy to see why Space Ritual inspired so many people to start playing bass.

It's magnificent, isn't it? That chord change when the drums kick in on 'Space is Deep'! Ohh! The bass is nice and prominent in the mix, too. Tremendous stuff from Lemmy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Huge Hawkwind fan... well up to the mid 80's stuff...

Such a classic album, so fluid and moving texture... Is the Space Ritual Remastered worth getting, is it that much better than the  earlier 2 cd release?

I've got the vinyl as well, I think the remaster is just more immersive and detailed. Listening in the car, the sonic generator fired up and felt like it was bubbling away on my left shoulder.

1 hour ago, Graham said:

The new Wolves In The Throne Room

Shame they've now cancelled their tour, particularly as they had Blood Incantation and Bell Witch/Aerial Ruin with them, but it was fairly inevitable.

I've been listening to it for a few weeks now (I help with a mate's music site). It's properly good, looking forward to the day I might hear it live... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Speed River - The Tragically Hip

I love a bit of the Hip. Have you watched the documentary of their last tour on Netflix? Brilliant and also very sad.

On a lighter note....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I love a bit of the Hip. Have you watched the documentary of their last tour on Netflix? Brilliant and also very sad.

On a lighter note....

Not yet: hard enough watching Neil Peart videos, let alone Gord…!