Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

I've posted elsewhere about the violone which is the ancestor of the double bass. This gives a brief overview. He mostly talks about the violone in D, which plays an octave below the bass viol - which is the one that I play. In my limited experience, most violones I have encountered are in G, which is probably because they are a bit smaller. https://youtu.be/MgM7Y4xLLB4

On Tim’s Listening Party last night is was Iron Maiden’s Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I love this album! I listened and followed along on Twitter last night. And I’m listening to it again. 
How come I can’t remember what I did last week, but I can remember nearly every word of every song? I haven’t looked at the lyric sheet since 1988!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was there for this tour, I even have the t-shirt!

I didn't know it had been recorded, and by the BBC too.

Wow!! I had this on cassette when I was 15, I taped it off the radio, it must have been Radio 1 .... It was this concert!

• Like 1

I always come back to Bob, great in the pocket bass lines nothing fancy but a nice change in the sax solo to a semi motown feel. The non video studio version shows the bass line better so worth checking out. David Hungate played with Boz and worth checking his discography quite outstanding.

Edited by deepbass5
Dave Hungate mention
  • Like 2

For some reason Alexa played Every Kind of People straight after Boz Scaggs ???

So will share this version also what a great record and Bass line , I also only just realised from this Andy Fraser wrote it - now that puts a whole new light on it and explains the bass line being so prominent. But just maybe Bob Babbitts creation on the original recording?

Edited by deepbass5
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

I always come back to Bob, great in the pocket bass lines nothing fancy but a nice change in the sax solo to a semi motown feel. The non video studio version shows the bass line better so worth checking out

I've loved the Silk Degrees album since I was 16 , mainly down to this and Lowdown...fantastic stuff  👍

Today was a tattoo day. We usually have a bit of hardcore punk playing but today we started with Sepultura.  Since the new Gojira album has more than a hint of Sepultura's Roots album and the tattooist said she'd not heard them I suggested she put some on. It went down well and the ink was flowing in to my arm quickly. 

The drumming on this is pretty special.