Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

@ProfJames Great to see ELO so raw. It's at my uni - about 10 years before I got there. There was a Tears for Fears gig on YT I was at, an outdoor gig 1983 but I couldn't see myself on the video (awful quality) - looks like the original full TFF show has been taken down and chopped up in to individual songs. I've seen a few bands on that same stage though. J Geils, Nick Lowe, Aswad - I wish I'd been around  for shows in the 70's Brunel attracted some top bands - early Genesis for one. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lemonstar said:

@ProfJames Great to see ELO so raw. It's at my uni - about 10 years before I got there. There was a Tears for Fears gig on YT I was at, an outdoor gig 1983 but I couldn't see myself on the video (awful quality) - looks like the original full TFF show has been taken down and chopped up in to individual songs. I've seen a few bands on that same stage though. J Geils, Nick Lowe, Aswad - I wish I'd been around  for shows in the 70's Brunel attracted some top bands - early Genesis for one. 

They had some great bands on back in the day, used to travel around to see a lot of the punk bands but Slough/Langley was miles away on our minds!  That is a great vid.  Seen Tears for Fears back in the day, excellent stuff, Nick Lowe as well.........saw Genesis doing Land of the Slippermen with Eddie and the Hot Rods supportung them.......loads of great stuff back then............

Well I thought I was listening to 6 Music via the iPod thingy, and it was playing a series of good solid 6 Music type tracks… in fact I was amused to note that I probably had most of them in my own collection. Even a bit of Les Claypool in there, nice.

Why is nobody talking between tracks though? Isn't it usually Shaun Keaveney now? Has someone died? 😮

Obviously, it was actually that the iPod thingy had somehow gone on to a shuffle of my library instead.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

This week I've been listening to a lot of Gojira. Mostly their new album. There's a definite influence from Sepulturas Roots album.

Best album of 2021 so far IMHO.  Gojira just keep getting better. 

7 hours ago, garyt said:

Best album of 2021 so far IMHO.  Gojira just keep getting better. 

Definitely. They're certainly the most creative metal band I've heard in a long time. They're all very talented musicians. I really like Michael's bass style, switching between long, lazy slides and super fast riffs seamlessly. 

• Like 1

Early start this morning. Listening to The Problem Of Leisure: A celebration of Andy Gill and Gang Of Four. It's fecking superb, a really interesting selection of artists including Idles, Gary Numan, Killing Joke and loads of others I wouldn't normally listen to but really enjoyed. Gail Ann Dorsey's bass on We Live As We Dream Alone is pretty special. 

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 1

I've been almost exclusively listening to the new AFI record since it came out last Friday

I'm a big fan of these guys, from the ages of 16-20 they were my favourite band in the world, but from what I'd heard of the pre-release tracks I wasn't digging the new direction and wasn't really expecting to enjoy the album much.

However, it's brilliant and I can't stop listening to it, the songs work really well in the context of the album and once you make peace with the fact they've moved on and matured their sound it's just a great record. Album of the year so far for me.

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Early start this morning. Listening to The Problem Of Leisure: A celebration of Andy Gill and Gang Of Four. It's fecking superb, a really interesting selection of artists including Idles, Gary Numan, Killing Joke and loads of others I wouldn't normally listen to but really enjoyed. Gail Ann Dorsey's bass on We Live As We Dream Alone is pretty special. 

The Idles track is getting a lot of plays on 6music. Hopefully they’ll play some others now!

RIP Andy Gill

• Like 2